the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

The Conservative Government and Climate Change

+9
Jondo
incognito
EdWin
rosencrentz
LivingDead
Deank
grumpy old man
Goth_chic
Ex-Pat-Pegger
13 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 5]

incognito

contributor plus
contributor plus

Ex-Pat-Pegger wrote:

Even it you think it's bullshit...what if you're wrong? If you're right then you can say I told you so, however, if you wrong and did nothing, then you have to explain to your grandchildren why you chose to do nothing despite all of warnings you received.

Pascal's Wager? The parallels between religious zealots and climate alarmists are ominous.

People tend to think of the future in 20 year segments; this is selfish.

Says who?

Like the Iroquois said, we should think of the consequences of our decisions on the next seven generations.

Where are they now?

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Ex-Pat-Pegger

JTF wrote:As for the sun's low cycle argument, I would posit that unless the orbit of our planet has moved closer or farther away from our life giving star, we are likely the cause of changes in our atmosphere.

So as I believe that the orbit of the planet has not changed I obviously believe that we are the cause of climate change....think skull this morning?

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Tell you what.

All the Climate change alarmists, go ahead and change your way of life. Feel free to give more of your hard earned money to the various levels of Government.

I will continue to do as I've been doing. I will not pay money to a carbon tax. Let INDIA and China ( 75% of the worlds polluters ) change first.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Ex-Pat-Pegger

I've have changed my life.

I've almost always taken the bus.

I recycle a lot more than I used to.

I'm getting a balcony composter from the City of Vancouver.

I eat less meat.

I don't pay BC carbon tax as I don't drive although I'm sure I'm paying for it through some higher costs on stuff I buy but I get a credit from the government anyway to offset that.

I think a cap and trade system is the best thing we could do as it would encourage the planting of trees.

I've invested in a solar panel company and a cap and trade platform company.

As for India and China, first, they committed to taking action on climate change. Second, as we've developed our economy first we are in a better position to change our ways as we've already reaped the benefits of development. Asking a poorer nations to change first is a little like 'do as I say but not as I do'.

How is that fair?

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Life is not fair.

I'm all for planting tree's and stuff, but dont take away my income because it makes others "Feel Good"

Anonymous

Ex-Pat-Pegger wrote:

So as I believe that the orbit of the planet has not changed I obviously believe that we are the cause of climate change....think skull this morning?

Thick skull???

There are a number of other reasons/possibilities, but you seem to be too dense to realize that point.

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

"To a man with a hammer, everything looks like a nail."-Mark Twain

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If I am not mistaken the scientists that believe the warming effect "may" be increasing at an alarming rate! It is this "may be" that is questionable!
We know that we are in a warming effect, or do we know that? In the reports that have been published there has been a referance to the fact that the earth has been warmer years ago. To me that is such simple proof that over many years the earth has been warmer, before any warnings of CO2 or carbon or too much Crown Royal. And what I would like to know, what would be the big deal for Winnipeg and for Canada to be 4 degrees warmer over the next 300 years? Everything here would be an improvement wouldn't it? Yes one says! So why would Canada spend any money on that problem. I am waiting for Harper to say- "hey, we are in cold Canada and we would welcome a warmer trend!" That would be common sens, but know Harper announces 1.2 billion dollars for some carbon capture investigations!
I asked before what would be the effect of all of Canda shutting down , on the Worlds warming up? NOTHING is the answer because everything is conjecture!

http://www.elansofas.com

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

We're in a Solar cycle that happens every 11,000 years whether we exist or not. Anybody ever ponder how these cycles have occurred for eons despite the fact that we've only been driving cars and burning coal for 100 years? Regardless, of course we should do what we can to lessen waste and pollution but don't fall for this propagated fallacy - which objective is to perpetrate the greatest taxation scheme ever against subjects serving governments.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AHEM,,., the sun changing cycles are a major change on the planet. Regardless of moving closer or further away.

Think of it this way. You have a 100W bulb in a lamp... yup move closer or further away you get warmer or cooler.. no doubt about that.

BUT you also get warmer or cooler if you replace the bulb with a 125watt or 75 watt... ie the suns energy output is NOT always the same

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Jondo has it right, and we must give a tip of our hat to our stupid politicians who check what the 60% of the dumb ass people want and decide to spend money on carbon credits and taxes that will accomplish nothing! "Accomplishing nothing" is something that governments do very effectively, because of the civil servants who are paid exorbitant amounts of money to "accomplish" nothing at the very highest costs!

http://www.elansofas.com

Riverman

Riverman

LivingDead wrote:Methane is 10 times the green house gas emission than Carbon Dioxide.

Blame it on Cow Farts.

Water vapour is 25 times the GHG than CO2. Should we ban water?

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Riverman wrote:
LivingDead wrote:Methane is 10 times the green house gas emission than Carbon Dioxide.

Blame it on Cow Farts.

Water vapour is 25 times the GHG than CO2. Should we ban water?

Excatly. So why blame it all on human polution?

Anonymous

I don,t just think we speed the proccess up thats all.

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Well, the Conservative's inaction on climate change is in the news again. I don't have time to read the whole thing but I will when I get home so we can argue about it.

Once again, climate-change promises Ottawa can't keep

The government must know its policies will fail. But if the
Conservatives expect people can be fooled or will tune out because they
don't care or the issue's too complicated, why not?

Hmmm...sounds like some on this forum.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

We need a government that stands up and shouts that it will do NOTHING about climate change so STFU world! and will work hard to curb pollution.

Anonymous

Sheep have always been adverse to the conservative movement. Remember Dean, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Wink

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Lets agree for a moment that man is the major cause of current global warming. Wanna know what changes we can make that will have a significant enough impact to reverse the trend?

Spoiler:

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Ex-Pat-Pegger wrote:Well, the Conservative's inaction on climate change is in the news again. I don't have time to read the whole thing but I will when I get home so we can argue about it.

Once again, climate-change promises Ottawa can't keep

The government must know its policies will fail. But if the
Conservatives expect people can be fooled or will tune out because they
don't care or the issue's too complicated, why not?

Hmmm...sounds like some on this forum.

My God, an article about someone's opinion!! Thats enough for me to change my mind.
The Conservative Government and Climate Change - Page 3 970993

Riverman

Riverman

I'd actually like to see an article or study posted that correlated CO2 emissions to climate change, based on science and not politics. I had a lefty on new winnipeg try to find something once and the best he could do was "they are out there". Prove the correlation and I'll believe it.

I don't drive much but my hobby involves screaming two-cycle engines so I do pollute somewhat but far less than a commuter.

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Riverman wrote:I'd actually like to see an article or study posted that correlated CO2 emissions to climate change, based on science and not politics. I had a lefty on new winnipeg try to find something once and the best he could do was "they are out there". Prove the correlation and I'll believe it.

I don't drive much but my hobby involves screaming two-cycle engines so I do pollute somewhat but far less than a commuter.

New Research Shows Strong Correlation Between Carbon, Climate Change

I just googled for that. I didn't even have to look in scholarly journals.

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Ex-Pat-Pegger

I liked that article. It was bringing into focus, a study that was produced by many different credible parties, that was criticizing the government's lame climate change plan.

It was more like someone's opinion on a lot of other credible peoples' opinions.

It is clear that I'm not getting through to many of you.

The Conservative Government and Climate Change - Page 3 Icon_sad

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ahh dont take it bad EPP.

you can at least feel safe in the knowledge that alot of us that dont buy into CO2 reduction will save the planet also are not getting the flu shot.. so we will all be dead by February 2nd anyway

Smile

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Aw.

That made my day Deank.

Riverman

Riverman

Ex-Pat-Pegger wrote:I just googled for that. I didn't even have to look in scholarly journals.

I didn't have to read very long to see that the study is woefully incomplete and contradictory.

"Still, Matthews' model eliminates some of the more distressing uncertainties between emissions and warming, which revolve around such issues as carbon sink capacities, atmospheric concentrations of CO2, and anthropogenic emissions, and shows that individual emissions of CO2 result in proportional increases in the global mean temperature, regardless of the time span of emissions"

Google all you want, there is no correlation.

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Ex-Pat-Pegger

There's a lot of information here:

2. Observed Climate Variability and Change Contents

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 5]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum