the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Save the Boobs ad offensive?

+4
AGEsAces
LivingDead
Deank
Triniman
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Save the Boobs ad offensive? Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:21 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/health/2009/09/24/cho.save.boobs.cnn
Does this advance their cause or set it back? It's a bit more memorable than most cancer-awareness ads.

2Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:25 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

meh...sure she is hot, but I dont think many people will even see the message.

3Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:26 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

So where is the Ad? your link takes me some woman's CNN blog.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

4Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:30 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

how would it set it back?
it brings awareness to the issue without being graphic or boring.

http://www.photage.ca

5Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:38 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LivingDead wrote:So where is the Ad? your link takes me some woman's CNN blog.

link took me to a video.

6Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:42 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

the video is in the CNN video.

7Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:03 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

funny how guys seem to think they can judge whether or not a woman's POV regarding her breasts and what they mean to her could possibly be boiled down to a "meh" kinda thang...you know guys I never ever encountered the "meh" thing until about last year? To me it is a rather dismissive term.....

Breast cancer, cervical cancer and especially ovarian cancer are serious matters......some of us wimmin embrace what we may or may not suffer from because the male dominated medical, insurance and governmental establishment still loves to tell us that "it is all in our heads"......yeah, that is what I was told over twenty years ago.....

I am so glad that I can still laugh and drink and f*ck. For now.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

8Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:06 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

More money is raised for breast cancer research than any male-specific cancer.

Some people think the medical industry really doesn't want big breakthroughs to fight cancer since they make billions selling drugs to help control it.

9Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 1:16 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Yeah, therein lies the rub.....and some of us cannot take whatever drugs because they cause more grief than good.

10Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:46 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Triniman wrote:More money is raised for breast cancer research than any male-specific cancer.
It is unfortunate that you (and many other men) think this is a female only cancer. Although it is predominant in women, men have breasts too and also get breast cancer. Maybe the money raised for breast cancer is more than any other cancer but it also kills more women than almost any other cancer. And a lot of young women are afraid to ask/tell if they think there is something wrong with their breasts. So yes this ad does it's job by showing that this disease can and does affect young women just as much as it does the older women.

How many of the married men on this site actually think about feeling for a lump when they are feeling for pleasure?????????????? It is a totally different scenario for a woman to lose a breast than a man to have prostrate cancer. And if you need the reasons why explained to you then .................

11Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:49 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

holly golightly wrote:How many of the married men on this site actually think about feeling for a lump when they are feeling for pleasure??????????????

ummm....NO!!!!

feeling for pleasure is NOT the time to be feeling for lumps...completely ruins the mood...and the mind for the planned activities.

that said, if by chance a lump was felt...I would certainly ask about it, or say something about it.

and if my wife were to ask me to check...i'd certainly have no problem doing that either for that specific purpose.

12Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:16 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Yes, men get boob cancer too......there was that one episode of OZ that addressed the issue beautifully. As to the breasts for pleasure bit (oh yeah for sure) that is part of the problem in that many women do not feel whole after a mastectomy or that their partners push them away because of the cancer itself. People do strange things to others who are going through major health issues.....sigh.

13Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:27 am

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

Triniman wrote:More money is raised for breast cancer research than any male-specific cancer.

Some people think the medical industry really doesn't want big breakthroughs to fight cancer since they make billions selling drugs to help control it.

Breast Cancer has one of the highest rates of survival among all cancers too.

14Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:35 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Not ovarian though.....the silent killer.

15Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:42 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

"Breast Cancer has one of the highest rates of survival among all cancers too."
This may be the case, but how many of these women die from all of the other recovery issues/complications. I have had too many friends who have had the major mastectomy and then a few years down the line have taken their lives or attempted to because of the "issues" that happen because they have one less breast. There is no other cancer that has a profound affect on a persons physical being and emotional well being IMHO.

16Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:59 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Miz point wrote:funny how guys seem to think they can judge whether or not a woman's POV regarding her breasts and what they mean to her could possibly be boiled down to a "meh" kinda thang...you know guys I never ever encountered the "meh" thing until about last year? To me it is a rather dismissive term.....

Breast cancer, cervical cancer and especially ovarian cancer are serious matters......some of us wimmin embrace what we may or may not suffer from because the male dominated medical, insurance and governmental establishment still loves to tell us that "it is all in our heads"......yeah, that is what I was told over twenty years ago.....

I am so glad that I can still laugh and drink and f*ck. For now.

where do you see men thinking they know what a woman's point of view is? MEH.. is towards the controversy... you know... what this thread is actually about.

sheesh.

17Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:03 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Whatever....I was just putting general thoughts down.

18Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:03 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yeah, let's not turn this into an us versus them, men versus women kinda thing.

Take a look at the obits. I don't think cancer is too discriminating...

19Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:07 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

No, cancer is not discriminating but the medical establishment can be......and not just towards women. If one falls outside of "the box" in terms of their symptoms and here I refer to being a younger victim of cancers that usually affect those over 45, the patient's concerns are often dismissed......

20Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:13 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oh god yes some doctors are complete asses when it comes to agism

your too young for knee surgery,

its just growing pains.
I actually ended up threatening the one doctor. I told him listen, I am 24 its not growing pains. If you tell me its growing pains I will freaking kick your ass. I dont mean to sound like an ass but I have had these pains since I was 9. I have not grown a single inch since I was 19 and I am getting real sick and tired of doctors saying its growing pains so I suggest you think carefully before you tell me what you think it is.
He laughed. I said I am serious. He said, well I guess we need to run some more tests then because I was going to tell you its growing pains. Good what tests and when.

And yes I would have kicked his fricken ass.

21Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:15 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The nonsense I have had to deal with regarding doctors.....as if I do not understand my illness, its effects and limitations.....no wonder the rate of depression for MS sufferers is so high....not with me necessarily but with many.....it is as if doctors are gods because they went to school for a bit longer....well guess what docs.....many of us have more than one degree and many more talents and can think outside of the box.....big raspberries to you!!!!

22Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:19 am

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

Miz point wrote:No, cancer is not discriminating but the medical establishment can be......and not just towards women. If one falls outside of "the box" in terms of their symptoms and here I refer to being a younger victim of cancers that usually affect those over 45, the patient's concerns are often dismissed......
Case in point, here in MB (and possibly CDN) as a woman you have to be over 50 to have a mammogram performed UNLESS a lump is found and even then the wait is way too long. I had to fight for 5 years to have my doctor schedule a mammogram for me because of my family history. Then when I got to the clinic, the comments from the clinic staff were so rude that I reported them. Comments like "you are taking an appointment away from a woman who really might need it". Like they don't know that I may also really need it but just because I am under 50 I should have to wait.
I can't remember at what age they start screening for prostrate cancer but I don't think it is much before 50. For a woman regular mammogram screening should happen after they have had their last child or in the case of childless women at the age of 35.

23Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:22 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

AGREED.....agreed, and agreed.......asswipes!!!!! A close friend of mine found a lump in her breast when she was 29.....she called me crying and I got her the needed screenings......she could not take the stress any longer.

24Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:26 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Prostate cancer they start at 40..at least that's when my doc said he'll start tracking it every 2 years.

As far as finding the lumps....I'm sure you could easily find volunteers to "check" for you...just don't be surprised if the "exam" takes a couple of hours. Wink

I do find it a shame the wait for simple things like these exams. Of course...that's another thread entirely.

25Save the Boobs ad offensive? Empty Re: Save the Boobs ad offensive? Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:52 am

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:Prostate cancer they start at 40..at least that's when my doc said he'll start tracking it every 2 years.

As far as finding the lumps....I'm sure you could easily find volunteers to "check" for you...just don't be surprised if the "exam" takes a couple of hours. Save the Boobs ad offensive? Icon_wink

I do find it a shame the wait for simple things like these exams. Of course...that's another thread entirely.

Starting at 40, I've had the prostrate check every year. My doctor said due to my family history (Father had prostrate cancer and died) That I need to be more vigilant than most lest I end up like my Father. Guys go get the fricking check it don't hurt, I'd rather catch it early and survive than catch it too late and die. Same goes for the ladies, get the tests, catch it early and survive.

I have friend(s) who have not seen a doctor in over 10 years and have no desire to see one for another 10. He hates doctors so much that over the years he has given himself stiches, Drained an abscess in his jaw with a kitchen knife.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum