the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Point Douglas Freeway!

+4
LivingDead
nickelback
grumpy old man
Electrician
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Point Douglas Freeway! Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:13 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

I insist!
Did anyone buy my idea for a new connection towards the "East Side"?
I still say it would improve traffic considerably.
I know it's something new, just try to imagine it. The more you think of it, the more you'll understand the need and possibility of this project.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

2Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:19 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

You'll want to restate your position electrician. I don't recall what it is and I'd kinda like to not have to go there to read your post.

Last edited by grumpy old man on Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Grammar change.)

3Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:16 pm

nickelback

huh?

4Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Tue Sep 30, 2008 2:44 am

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

It was the thread I posted in nwc, it took me about 15 posts to explain the idea exactly to mizP and mrN. I'll get back to it later.

5Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:11 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

I was thinking about your ideas. and since I drive the route every day, I'll give you my Ideas.

Below is a Google map of the area.
In red I have marked streets that need to be 4 lanes during rush hour and through out the day. The bridges on these streets are both 2 lane's yet the streets can handle 4 lanes of traffic.

Yank the bridges out, and build 4 lane bridges at these points. The corner of Nairn and Stradacona is a messy confusing intersection, change it to accommodate a 4 lane bridge. As far as the Disraeli bridge goes I don't care what they do to it, as long as it makes it better for people like me, who go from Nairn St then across Henderson to Hespeller and over the bridge to Main st. That drive sucks during rush hour.

Point Douglas Freeway! 7c1557ef

Discuss:

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

6Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:13 am

Anonymous

This plan would make sense so you can file it under will not see the light of day . This is the city we are talking to who habitually do it the worst possible way and the most expensive way . And the most piecemeal way , so it takes 10 yrs to complete . Gotta keep the union money flowing.

7Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:08 am

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Ex-Pat-Pegger

What was this plan?

8Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:10 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Point Douglas Freeway! N1416203996_30106571_6813
PD Freeway drawing. (maybe).

Last edited by Electrician on Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : don't pull my leg, French host! Just let me post my pic on this forum!)

9Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:15 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

There. See, I have to raise my voice sometimes to get heard... But I'm missing the right side of the pic...

10Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:47 pm

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Ex-Pat-Pegger

Would it go up Henderson?

11Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:52 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

It must have a cloverleaf where it meets the Disraeli....

12Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:21 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Electrician, how will this help me get to redwood and main street?

13Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:51 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

It helps you get to Transcona from downtown without having a fit. I'd make it go to Main St. without touching the Disraeli. The part missing on the right contains an expansion towards Gateway, where a bike route (?) is now.

14Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:54 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Electrician wrote:It helps you get to Transcona from downtown without having a fit. I'd make it go to Main St. without touching the Disraeli. The part missing on the right contains an expansion towards Gateway, where a bike route (?) is now.

The problem I have is when I drive to work;

I take Inkster to Main,
Main to Redwood and over the bridge.
I turn right on Henderson, drive to the Disraeli Bridge and Turn right before it.
I then take Midwinter to Stradacona which loops under the bridge.

Then the screwy part;

I hit that intersection at Nairn and Stradacona the one with the Louise bridge attached(the one with the 2 second green light). I head up Nairn to Tim Hortons. Get a coffee then I go southbound Lagimodier to Dugald Road, hang a left and head to work.

Coming home is the same route in Reverse. Only I turn onto Talbot and hit Henderson via the merge lane by the Mennonite Collegiate. This is freaking scary during rush hour.

So.. if you have a clover leaf at Watt and Nairn and head off to Pt.Douglas that makes my trip even longer. I think my simple plan of making the Louise Bridge a 4 lane and the redwood bridge a 4 lane would be better than a pt.douglas freeway.

15Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:00 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Have you tried taking the chief peguis, and taking springfield to lag? Just wondering how long that would take, even tho its a bit longer distance, it is mostly fast driving.....

16Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:00 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Point Douglas Freeway!!!!
We can do it!
Arlington CPR Underpass!!!!
We can do it!
My last post for today... Oops... I mean, my first post for Sunday.

17Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:54 pm

tick

tick
contributor plus
contributor plus

staighten the river.
straighten the roads.
straighten a few u stupid heads.

18Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:21 pm

winnipegceilingcat

winnipegceilingcat

so i fire up Adobe illustrator and drew up a cleaner version of electrician posted above.. i have the expansion connecting to herbert ave. and then on to gate way... also the i traced a clover leaf on pembina and the perimeter hwy for an idea how much room would be needed to connect to nairn ave.

Point Douglas Freeway! Pdhwy
Point Douglas Freeway! W960

Last edited by winnipegceilingcat on Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : problems making my image appear. :S)

19Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:00 am

Anonymous

What do we plan to do with main line that the CPR has there, put it under the traffic on the bridge !

20Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Sun Feb 22, 2009 5:10 am

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

The road would be to the north of the tracks. Also, since I'm not there, and the picture is too far away, I'd also reconstruct the railway bridge to accomodate two rail lines. (If there's only one track right now). We don't have to make a complete clover leaf. A clover leaf can also take up less space, look at the middle exits on the Disraeli, they are very small, compared to the Highway 8 - Perimeter clover leaf, which is maybe the widest in Winnipeg. I'm just giving out some ideas, that's all. But I guess, some people just want open fields and a place to go snowmobiling on Sunday mornings...

21Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:22 am

Anonymous

Will have to take a good look at this area , to see the lay of the land as I always drive by so quick . The concept makes sense and that will have to be corrected before council will look at it . Very Happy

22Point Douglas Freeway! Empty Re: Point Douglas Freeway! Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:39 am

winnipegceilingcat

winnipegceilingcat

i like the idea.. almost no one uses the park/open field (that i witnessed in my 18yrs as a resident of the area) that the on ramp would require..

the only real issue i can see is that i don't think the residents of herbert, berlin and gateway would welcome another nairn ave. beside their homes.. my reasoning is that herbert and berlin are very quiet low traffic streets.

i think another option, that would still meet with heavy resistance would be to have the expansion roads connect to Elmwood Road and then on through a baseball field and then connecting onto raleigh. Google maps already wrongly has raleigh going through said field.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum