the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Point Douglas Provincial Park..

+10
manitobapost
Electrician
Mr_Point
AGEsAces
umcrouc0
Miz point
Deank
Triniman
EdWin
winnipegceilingcat
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:15 pm

winnipegceilingcat

winnipegceilingcat

sorry if this is a repost...

the Czar wants to make some of PD into a Provincial Park. What the hell?

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/point-douglas-park-50931567.html

2Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:38 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

I see disaster written all over this....................

3Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:44 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

It's what you get when you ask for "vision." Supporters say he has it, detractors like moi think he's nuts.

4Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:50 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

our riverbanks should be a strollable.hikeable, bikeable parkland from city limit to city limit

5Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:11 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If it drives up my property value then bring it on....if they want to buy me out, let's negotiate, if it means bringing in more dollars to spruce up the overall look of our area, fine.....but I agree with Dean.....unfortunately though Dean's idea would be a boondoggle in terms of access issues.

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

6Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:22 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The city and the province and the feds can do pretty much whatever they want with any land as long as they hand over sufficient funds to the "owners" ... on top of that it would a river bank stabilization program as well.
The people who dont want to go along with the program willingly, dont get the river bank stabilized for their section.. soon enough they wont have anything left.

7Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:36 pm

Anonymous

Wonder what the residents will do durring long weekend drinking bans ? lol!

8Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:37 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Drink....what else?

9Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:00 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

What exactly would make it a provincial park instead of just a city park? Other than someone actually paying to build it.

10Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:01 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the province saying... this is a provincial park

yes really

11Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:02 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Nice. Would you need to pay to get into it?

12Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:05 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If it is to be maintained and developed I am pretty sure some sort of fee structure would have to be introduced otherwise it becomes the bane of taxpayers.....

13Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:07 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Great. So we'll take an area that has a lot of low-income families, build a new park, and put up booth with a toll they can't afford to pay to use regularly. Sounds like a plan.

14Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:10 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Exactly.....I would imagine though that some sort of residency use permissions would be granted? No matter what, an income for maintenance has to be generated. This would be a great training opportunity for some of the local youth....

15Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:10 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Miz point wrote:If it is to be maintained and developed I am pretty sure some sort of fee structure would have to be introduced otherwise it becomes the bane of taxpayers.....

all current provincial parks are free entry to 2011?? something like that

There are other provincial parks that have never had a fee and wont ever either.

16Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:14 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

OK....thanks for that clarification.....I just wrongly assumed that there would be a fee as I have paid them in the past.....

17Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:22 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:The people who dont want to go along with the program willingly, dont get the river bank stabilized for their section.. soon enough they wont have anything left.

The problem with that is...river-stabilization is an "all-or-nothing" activity from an engineering point of view.

If you put stabilization at one house...and skip a house...then put it in again...you create a "void" where the water will effect the the empty point...but it will also eventually break around the stabilizing features and effect those on either side again.

http://www.photage.ca

18Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:24 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

EdWin wrote:I see disaster written all over this....................

Clarify....I am no supporter of the New Dunce Party either but this could be a great thing for this area, an area that you do not live in. Before you pooh-pooh the concept think about the positive impact that an initiative like this could have?

19Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:37 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AGEsAces wrote:
Deank wrote:The people who dont want to go along with the program willingly, dont get the river bank stabilized for their section.. soon enough they wont have anything left.

The problem with that is...river-stabilization is an "all-or-nothing" activity from an engineering point of view.

If you put stabilization at one house...and skip a house...then put it in again...you create a "void" where the water will effect the the empty point...but it will also eventually break around the stabilizing features and effect those on either side again.

at the point that they are causing a problem by not being a part of the solution, we force them out.,

20Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:41 pm

Anonymous

I don't see anything wrong with this proposal. Having more greenspace next to the river is a great thing, and the bike trails are a great idea, IMO...

21Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:34 am

winnipegceilingcat

winnipegceilingcat

all i can see this park becoming is just another place for the homeless/junkies to hang out in. Kinda like the one up on Higgins and Main.

22Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:48 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

winnipegceilingcat wrote:all i can see this park becoming is just another place for the homeless/junkies to hang out in. Kinda like the one up on Higgins and Main.

Yup.

And don't forget the future site at 100 Main St.

23Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:20 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Well if the homeless/junkies are not hanging out here now what on earth makes you think they would be able to hang out in one later? You have such a lack of logic the two of you.....WCC and EdWin.....gawd. Give it a friggin rest. If it had been anyone else other than this present gov't announcing this plan I would bet that your tune would be different.

There are too many established residents living around here - we would not tolerate that sort of riff raff....

24Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:31 am

Mr_Point

Mr_Point

this was just a silly idea that jordan vansuel came up with like his idea of making the area an island and becoming our own nation and charging a toll on the disrealie to fund ourselfs lol if anyone wants i can dig the issues of the point out and grab snaps of the articals i am mentioning...

25Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Empty Re: Point Douglas Provincial Park.. Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:33 am

Mr_Point

Mr_Point

winnipegceilingcat wrote:all i can see this park becoming is just another place for the homeless/junkies to hang out in. Kinda like the one up on Higgins and Main.

they already camp back there and graphiti artists use the various industiral junk as a ever evolving canvis

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum