the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Greyhound cancelling bus service in province

+16
Jondo
jimj_wpg
Freeman
tick
eastsider
EdWin
trebor204
JT Estoban
AGEsAces
umcrouc0
Triniman
SMW
grumpy old man
Bartron
Deank
a89aries
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 4]

SMW

major-contributor
major-contributor

Ah well - this would have been the perfect opportunity for the railways to step up!

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

Anonymous

Ya think the costs to service small communities by bus is high, which it is, think of the costs to run a rail service. That option is out.

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

Oh, I know. I was being facetious for the most part!

trebor204

trebor204

My understanding if you want to take a bus from Toronto to Calgary, you are out of luck.
I don't think Greygoose operates in Manitoba anymore, it is now a part of Greyhound. The routes that were covered by Greygoose now run under the Greyhound banner.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

So is Greyhound flipping the bird to Manitoba specifically, or are they spreading the cutbacks evenly across Canada?

trebor204

trebor204

They giving Manitoba 30 days warning, and NW Ontario 90 days.

They are looking into service cuts in Western Canada.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

trebor204 wrote:They giving Manitoba 30 days warning, and NW Ontario 90 days.

They are looking into service cuts in Western Canada.

As long as the cuts are distributed evenly and not dumped solely in one area. Everyone should share the pain.

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

I just heard on CJOB that freight and parcel service will not be affected by this. I often deal with Greyhound Courier Services at work so I'm thinking they will take over the parcel deliveries to outlying destinations so that my pal Airt Mattressor and I don't have to worry Smile

tick

tick
contributor plus
contributor plus

off with their heads !!

Anonymous

LOL

36Greyhound cancelling bus service in province - Page 2 Empty Develop public bus system, says Maloway Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:43 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Manitoba should steer around its possible loss of Greyhound's service by developing its own public highway bus system, NDP MP Jim Maloway says, pointing to Saskatchewan as a model. Maloway (Elmwood-Transcona) said yesterday there's no reason Manitoba can't develop a bus operation such as that run by Saskatchewan Transportation Co., which serves more than 280 communities in that province.

YIKES! I don't know anything about the Saskatchewan system but man-o-man we do not need another Manitoba crown corporation.

We do NOT need another government run bureaucratic bloated, publicly subsidized agency. Let Greyhound leave. Allow market forces to take over. If there is demand someone will step forward.

Last edited by grumpy old man on Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:51 am; edited 1 time in total

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

And look at this!!!
"It should never have come to this point," (Kevin) Goertzen (Conservative MLA) said, adding the province should help Greyhound.
Now the Conservatives are leaning left.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Read brodbeck's rant on this.

Spoiler:

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Allow market forces to take over. If there is demand someone will step forward.

Well, it will either be that or people will pack up and leave communities with a lack of external transportation. We could see quite a few communities dry up because of this, and that would be a shame.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Canada has been urbanizing for decades now. Small rural communities have been drying up because folks have moved on. It probably explains much of the growth of cities such as Steinbach and Winkler and Morden and Brandon and even Winnipeg.

It is preferred that these centres become much more vibrant and provide more services to more people due to their size.

Anonymous

Why the hell should I have to pay for a bus service to some frickn' remote community because somebody chooses to live apart from the rest of us?

If you wish to live in Plum Coulee, buy a car!

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:Why the hell should I have to pay for a bus service to some frickn' remote community because somebody chooses to live apart from the rest of us?

Agreed!

What the....? Someone woke up Jim Maloway?

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

Amen, JTF!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JTF wrote:Why the hell should I have to pay for a bus service to some frickn' remote community because somebody chooses to live apart from the rest of us?

Pretty much same arguement for remote Winnipeg Transit service then no? The provincial and federal government heavily subsidize transit, never mind the amount of our tax dollars that go into it.... Is this something that should be dropped as well?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Airt Mattrèssor wrote:Amen, JTF!

Ummm, I don't think you should be praying to JTF. Something abut false gods...

Anonymous

Deank wrote:

Pretty much same arguement for remote Winnipeg Transit service then no?

Yup. It makes no sense to subsidize rarely used services.

It took the city a long time to realize that urban sprawl has consequences...some may say that they still don't understand.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:Pretty much same arguement for remote Winnipeg Transit service then no? The provincial and federal government heavily subsidize transit, never mind the amount of our tax dollars that go into it.... Is this something that should be dropped as well?
Not just "remote" Winnipeg Transit. All transit is subsidized. By municipal government for the most part. Only a little provincial funds have been used to subsidize Winnipeg Transit operations. And no federal monies subsidize the operations of Winnipeg Transit.

That said I expect there is a HUGE difference between St. Norbert and Gillam no? Or is it just semantics?

Oh, and to answer your question, no not the same as subsidizing local transit services.

Anonymous

I disagree. We are paying for empty buses to service many outlying suburbs.

If we didn't have to do so, our buses could pay for themselves. Afterall, Greyhound was a money-maker until the government forced them to service remote areas.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Are the buses empty because of low ridership or poor management?

Anonymous

Obviously low ridership will account for empty buses, but if management is forced to send buses to places where only one or two passengers use the service, it becomes more than just those two options.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man wrote:Are the buses empty because of low ridership or poor management?

yes?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum