the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vic Grant on the Water Utility

+8
AGEsAces
Deank
Freeman
Riverman
Bartron
Miz point
grumpy old man
umcrouc0
12 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Vic Grant on the Water Utility Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:30 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

So on the way home from work yesterday I thought I'd tune into CJOB for a little dose of crazy. Well, Vic Grant came on and didn't disapoint.
Here's a link to the transcript:
http://www.cjob.com/blogs/ExcuseMe/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10042828

No, can anyone tell me what the heck he's talking about? It sounds sort of like he's advocating a private water utility but I can't tell. There's the obligatory random crazy attack on unions of course, but it has nothing to do with either the rest of the piece, or why people have issues with privatizing water and waste management. But that's a whole other post. What's confusing me here is that he seems to bash people for being scared of privatization, but then goes off about the environment and a billion dollar sewage upgrade, then goes back to the 'business plan' at the end. Is he saying the business plan is to privatize?

And I'm not being mocking or anything, I'm actually completely confused by what he's trying to talk about because it's all over the place. Because environmental aspects and provincially imposed sewage upgrades are entirely different topics from how the piece begins and ends. Private or no, the billion dollar upgrades would be required. So either we pay for them or we privatize the service and the company that buys it needs to recoup the billion dollars in extra expense. Last time I checked companies didn't eat the cost of anything. At least successful ones. And environmental controls placed on the service can easily be controlled if you have public ownership, not so much if it's private. So when I heard this my thought was that he started advocating a move to privatize, then spent most of the rest of the time giving examples of why it couldn't realistically be privatized at this point (poor market value due to excessive upgrade costs unless rates could be increased to recoup $1B or the government still paid for most of the upgrades, requirements for strict environmental controls), then ended by again saying it should be privatized.

Did anyone get what he was talking about?

2Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:36 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

He also seems to think it'll take twenty years to clean up Lake Winnipeg, our source of drinking water. Perhaps Vic Grant is ill-informed?

He is rambling a little. Winnipeg is loaded with journalists that don't seem to be very well considered in their commentary.

Marty? Lindor? Vic? Tommy? Gordy? Colleen? Who've I forgotten? Oh yeah, the wanna be's; Black Rod and....

3Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:47 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one that doesn't really think it's clear what he's talking about. I thought I'd misheard something on the radio and went to the website to check it out. But after reading it again was more confused than before.

4Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:03 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:He also seems to think it'll take twenty years to clean up Lake Winnipeg, our source of drinking water. Perhaps Vic Grant is ill-informed?

He is rambling a little. Winnipeg is loaded with journalists that don't seem to be very well considered in their commentary.

Marty? Lindor? Vic? Tommy? Gordy? Colleen? Who've I forgotten? Oh yeah, the wanna be's; Black Rod and....

Grumpy I believe we get our water from Shoal Lake?

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

5Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:05 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

umcrouc0 wrote:Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one that doesn't really think it's clear what he's talking about. I thought I'd misheard something on the radio and went to the website to check it out. But after reading it again was more confused than before.

Vic Grant is not a journalist......

6Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:20 pm

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

Miz point wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:He also seems to think it'll take twenty years to clean up Lake Winnipeg, our source of drinking water. Perhaps Vic Grant is ill-informed?

Grumpy I believe we get our water from Shoal Lake?

Are water does come from Shoal Lake Ontario.

7Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:36 pm

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Miz point wrote:
umcrouc0 wrote:Well, it's good to know I'm not the only one that doesn't really think it's clear what he's talking about. I thought I'd misheard something on the radio and went to the website to check it out. But after reading it again was more confused than before.

Vic Grant is not a journalist......

No, definitely not. But I was surprised by the incoherence of this more than the lack of accuracy. Like it was originally two pieces with opposing points of view that were somehow mashed into one.

8Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:42 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

How he gets away with it is beyond me....oh right, he is the poohbah and his whatchmacallit needs stroking bigtime......

9Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:37 pm

Riverman

Riverman

Bartron wrote:Our water does come from Shoal Lake Ontario.

I actually flows downhill from there, it isn't pumped. Another bit of useless but interesting trivia. rabbit

10Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:41 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Miz point wrote:How he gets away with it is beyond me....oh right, he is the poohbah and his whatchmacallit needs stroking bigtime......
OK, that explains Vic Grants barely coherent ramblings, so what excuse does the Free Press have for publishing Sinclair and Reynolds?

11Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:56 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Sinclair was the son of a legacy...the freep for years was staffed generationally.....as to Lindor she knows how to play the mediocrity game.....she also knew the right folks.....the world rewards the mediocre because they know how to toe the line.

12Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:39 am

Anonymous

Sorta like Sylvia Kuzyk , just blend in . Still having a hard time with award she got why her. The water debate is really stirring the pot in town , have not listened to much as to many other things going on . But if it is done with the proper safeguards to protect us and the cost is to run is borne on a private company why not .

13Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:39 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

On he CKY news last night, they reported on the "growing" protest. One woman was on the verge of hysteria and posed the rhetorical question would people have to bathe in the Assiniboine when rates became so high? She must live in Wolseley, as the Red would be much more convenient for most of us. If this is the best argument they can come up with, maybe they should just stay home.

The rants of privitization of an essential utility are growing a little thin. Next thing you know, thye'll want to priviatize the food supply system. sarcasm end

14Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:00 am

Anonymous

It is absurd that we are told that this new scheme will save us money.

15Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:12 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

With the required upgrades demanded by the province on sewage treatment, how can anyone expect to save money?

16Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:21 am

Anonymous

Simple. When a private company is involved it is to make a profit. The profit would be saved by doing it in-house.

To say that we cannot do it cheaper than a pivate compay, with the incredible advantage of borrowing costs, suggests incompetence or something even worse. imo.

17Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:23 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yeah. Incompetence is one POV. Inability may be the biggest drawback. Bureaucrats have proven they cannot run such enterprises. Maybe because they have the wrong drivers and the wrong measures.

18Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:31 am

Anonymous

There is no doubt in my mind that the tail has been wagging the dog in our city for too long...the bureaucrats feed the dumbass councillors a load of crap and the councillors eat it up like their last meal.

All bullcrap aside, and on a level playing field with a clean slate, they tell us a private company can to it cheaper. Now you tell me that they're not using some fcuked up accounting practices.

19Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:37 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

A private company might well be able to do it more cheaply than the current group does it today. But that is only because they have not clue one as to what they are doing.

20Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:31 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JTF wrote:It is absurd that we are told that this new scheme will save us money.
agreed

21Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:54 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:Simple. When a private company is involved it is to make a profit. The profit would be saved by doing it in-house.

To say that we cannot do it cheaper than a pivate compay, with the incredible advantage of borrowing costs, suggests incompetence or something even worse. imo.

Not necessarily...a private company does not mean a "for-profit" company...it could be listed as an NPO...in which case the target is to pay the bills, and donate or filter off the rest (if there is a profit).

The benefit to a private company though...is that it has to run within its budget...it can't just take a loss and have add it to the city deficit. It also has the freedom of hiring who it needs to hire to do the job the most efficiently...without the bull the government imposes involving union requirements, bureaucratic garbage, and political kissassing.

http://www.photage.ca

22Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:13 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What the City is telling us, is if they privatise the clean up required by the province, then it will get done cheaper.
Sort of when you check the cost of garbage pick up and you find the private costs are 1/3 that of the city workers.
I think we should continue to let our waste flow untreated , running down past Selkirk and then into Lake Winnipeg. I don't care about the rich cabin owners. To hell with them. let them shower up after swimming at grand beach!
All this talk about leaving a mess for our children and grandchildren, is such nonsense! One of my kids is in Alberta, one is in Viet Nam, and the 2 in Winnipeg don't swim that much in Lake Winnipeg.
A billion dollars for cleaning up, isn't a lot of money divided by 700,000 people living here. $1500 each. The problem with sam katz is he is of the opinion there should be no new taxes.
There are probably 200,000 homes in Winnipeg and 10,000 businessses and how many apartments, all of whom should be paying for this based on their water consumptiom. It adds up to $30 per home , so big deal!!

http://www.elansofas.com

23Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:36 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

There is no argument that private enterprise can do a better job than government. Remember that this initiate was brought forward by the new senior management at the City. We know that the old regime didn't work.

Interesting to see the parade of left wingers showing up at City Hall to protest. I wonder how many of them are funded by public funds.

Results of vote just in....10 to 6 in favour. YAHHH!!!

24Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:42 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I have mixed feelings because of what I have seen in other places when water services get privatized.....conversely though, what with all the infrastructure renewal needed that should have been done twenty years ago at least, I would trust a private firm ahead of government to bring in the job on budget and on time......Winnipeggers however are gonna pay higher costs.....maybe folks will stop watering their lawns during the rain?

25Vic Grant on the Water Utility Empty Re: Vic Grant on the Water Utility Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:44 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Not being a PhD in sh1t, it has to cost us more for water and sewage no matter what happens. To think anything different is naive.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum