the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg

+3
grumpy old man
Triniman
Deank
7 posters

How many Winnipeg Jets games would you attend?

Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Vote_lcap15%Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Vote_rcap 15% [ 2 ]
Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Vote_lcap8%Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Vote_rcap 8% [ 1 ]
Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Vote_lcap8%Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Vote_rcap 8% [ 1 ]
Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Vote_lcap23%Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Vote_rcap 23% [ 3 ]
Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Vote_lcap15%Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Vote_rcap 15% [ 2 ]
Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Vote_lcap31%Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Vote_rcap 31% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:33 am

Anonymous

It is looking more and more likely that an NHL team will land in Winnipeg within the next decade. There are rumors that a wealthy business group has consulted arcitects about a possible renovation of the MTS Centre to provide more seating for hockey games. This has me very excited. The return of the Jets will likely boost morale and confidence in our great city.

My question is if an NHL team came back to Winnipeg, how often would you attend games, assuming ticket prices are similiar to Calgary, edmonton, and Vancouver ($30 low to $150 high)

2Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Re: Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:59 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

once a year or less.

really depends on what the kids want to do. The only sports I truly enjoy watching are anything with my kids in them

3Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Re: Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:34 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:once a year or less.

really depends on what the kids want to do. The only sports I truly enjoy watching are anything with my kids in them

I'd go to a couple of games. I just can't see the NHL returning here unless there was a private owner willing to lose money for a while, and then sell the team for a profit to another market.

4Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Re: Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:53 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'd buy season tickets.

5Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Re: Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:36 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Triniman wrote:

I'd go to a couple of games. I just can't see the NHL returning here unless there was a private owner willing to lose money for a while, and then sell the team for a profit to another market.

Thats the winning attitude. Sigh. I'm so sick of this "we can't do sh1t here in Loserpeg" mentality; will it ever change?

Last edited by EdWin on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total

6Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Re: Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:55 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Remember that is Triniman.

7Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Re: Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:07 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

EdWin wrote:
Triniman wrote:

Thats the winning attitude. Sigh. I'm so sick of this "we can't do sh1t here in Loserpeg" mentality; will it ever change?

I didn't say we couldn't do it. I said if we did it, it likely wouldn't last. It's up to people like you to show how the NHL could be viable here. Go for it.

8Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Re: Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:02 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Triniman wrote:
EdWin wrote:
Triniman wrote:

I didn't say we couldn't do it.

By saying it won't last, yes, you are essentially saying Winnipeg can't do it. Why are you so sure that the NHL, or the Museum won't work in Winnipeg? I'm curious to know.

9Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Re: Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:13 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

EdWin wrote:
Triniman wrote:
EdWin wrote:
Triniman wrote:

I didn't say we couldn't do it.

By saying it won't last, yes, you are essentially saying Winnipeg can't do it. Why are you so sure that the NHL, or the Museum won't work in Winnipeg? I'm curious to know.

The museum can work if we (gov't) give them a blank cheque to cover their ever-growing shortfalls. Their first shortfall is the $45M for construction. Since their was no plebiscite, the public never had a chance to feel like they had "ownership" of the project. This has been borne out by the lack of enthusiasm for donating money by the average person. Kids were emptying their piggy banks to keep the Jets here. Nothing even remotely close is happening for the museum.

I'm certainly not the first person to suggest that the NHL could not work anymore in Winnipeg, due to the economics of the situation. Player salaries have increased since they left. Few people would be able to afford season tickets. Should the NHL return here, every game would be a sellout for a couple of years and then people would have to carefully consider their finances. This is a much discussed topic. I truly wish the NHL could succeed here. I used to be a right-winger myself and dig hockey, but I just don't think people can afford the ticket prices.

10Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Re: Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:18 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Why don't we just start up six teams, give them their proper names, (no need to post them, we know who we're talking about), make a cup, name it Sammy, and have the teams play their guts out for 10 months*.

*Make sure a large beer doesn't cost more than the ticket and make sure the ticket doesn't cost more than a small beer.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

11Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Re: Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:22 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

you cant get strawberry twizzlers either?

bizarre.

12Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Re: Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:23 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:you cant get strawberry twizzlers either?

bizarre.

off topic off topic off topic off topic off topic off topic off topic off topic off topic off topic off topic off topic

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

13Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Re: Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:29 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Electrician wrote:Why don't we just start up six teams, give them their proper names, (no need to post them, we know who we're talking about), make a cup, name it Sammy, and have the teams play their guts out for 10 months*.

An all-Winnipeg league! I love it!

14Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Re: Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:13 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What a good idea- 10 years, sot of just after IKEA opens here? lol

http://www.elansofas.com

15Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Empty Re: Return of NHL Hockey in Winnipeg Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:48 am

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Electrician wrote:Why don't we just start up six teams, give them their proper names, (no need to post them, we know who we're talking about), make a cup, name it Sammy, and have the teams play their guts out for 10 months*.

*Make sure a large beer doesn't cost more than the ticket and make sure the ticket doesn't cost more than a small beer.

And then the NHL will buy those six teams and Winnipeg will have an NHL team again!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum