the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

City in "Growth Spurt"

+5
Deank
Triniman
grumpy old man
Electrician
EdWin
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1City in "Growth Spurt" Empty City in "Growth Spurt" Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:47 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/city-in-a-growth-spurt-48239627.html

So how do you feel about Winnipeg growing? I love the fact that this will encourage Winnipeggers to see themselves as a "big[ger] city" and we can still compete with the "big six". I am happy to see this growth, and hope that it will only increase in the future. Winnipeg is one of Canada's biggest cities, and hopefully this will encourage Winnipeg City Council and Winnipegger's alike to think of themselves as living in a "big city" and hopefully big city emenities will follow suit.

2City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:30 am

Anonymous

Well for starters we need to get a new attitude and that is a major one elect a goverment good to business but not in their pocket either , Oboy theres your chance Trinnniman . We have to rearrange the tax system in this province and we have to look at the cost of the social safety net .

Learn to support someone who has stuck his neck out and is trying to improve your lot. Calling them names doe,s not help only shows how small you are in their eyes and their friends who invest with them .
Stop the nimbyism open up to change look at the future do you want your Grandchild to look at the same derelict buildings you grew up with.

3City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:01 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

We need someone who can put a $1 Million salary cap on welfare recipients...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

4City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:29 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Everything is cyclical. Every dog has his day. So let's enjoy the limited prosperity Winnipeg is demonstrating.

But please do understand the model Evil Doer is maintaining is absolutely not sustainable. We cannot continue to spend so much on government projects and the bureaucracy. Our economy will implode in a big way if we don't start building an economy on private sector initiatives and much less on public initiatives.

We need to be very aware of this.

5City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:36 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:Everything is cyclical. Every dog has his day. So let's enjoy the limited prosperity Winnipeg is demonstrating.

But please do understand the model Evil Doer is maintaining is absolutely not sustainable. We cannot continue to spend so much on government projects and the bureaucracy. Our economy will implode in a big way if we don't start building an economy on private sector initiatives and much less on public initiatives.

I'm sure next election the Conservatives will win. The NDP is slowing down the progress the province is making.

6City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:37 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Everything is cyclical. Every dog has his day. So let's enjoy the limited prosperity Winnipeg is demonstrating.

Sage words. I'm all in favour of the private sector building the economy, but gov't must get out of the way with their discouraging red tape, bloated bureaucracy and foolish pro-labour union non-sense. And while we're at it, let's shut down one gov't project in particular, that will take away more than it will contribute to the economy. Let's kill this project that will create more wasteful unionized jobs and bureaucracy.

7City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:42 am

Anonymous

Triniman wrote:
. And while we're at it, let's shut down one gov't project in particular, that will take away more than it will contribute to the economy. Let's kill this project that will create more wasteful unionized jobs and bureaucracy.

...and which project would that be? Wink

8City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:25 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I am not sure but I think it might rhyme with

mooman heights colleoseum

9City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:18 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Winnipeg is one of Canada's biggest cities! Unfortunately I remember when Winnipeg was #3, so us being at #6 is quite depressing in a way! Why aren't we still #3? Can anyone tell me?
Would it be because of.........?

http://www.elansofas.com

10City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:47 am

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

...that stupid 60's poster that showed Winnipeg in thierd place. Bancouver then knocked Winnipeg into fourth and kept skidding from then on...
Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone theirs a spurt, we don't want a boom to destroy a slow, but healthy, growth.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

11City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:27 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Electrician wrote:Shhhhhh! Don't tell anyone theirs a spurt, we don't want a boom to destroy a slow, but healthy, growth.
Meh, the growth rate is still a little slow IMO. Winnipeg could stand to pick up the pace a bit, say 20,000-40,000 annually, like most major Canadian cities. This way we can keep pace with the big six, and maybe start to really distance ourselves from Hamilton and Quebec City.

12City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:30 pm

Anonymous

What would all of that growth give us more malls, for headquarters are gone not to come back and regionals dried up long ago . So where are these jobs going to come from, O wait the NDP boy am I smart. What is wrong with what we have, are getting, it is good and supplies jobs . The size doe,s not make the city.

13City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:58 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Pavolo wrote:What would all of that growth give us more malls, for headquarters are gone not to come back and regionals dried up long ago . So where are these jobs going to come from, O wait the NDP boy am I smart. What is wrong with what we have, are getting, it is good and supplies jobs . The size doe,s not make the city.
That is not a positive nor a winning attitude. You are basically writting Winnipeg off and saying our importance and competitive days are done. Finished. Kaput. I disagree. Winnipeg has the opportunity to change it's ways and grow as a city. Size does matter as it will encourage more headquarters to locate here, leading to more jobs and more people moving here, which will lead to more amenities, etc.
I'm a competitive person by nature, and when it comes to Winnipeg being at the top of it's game, I'm no different. So yes, size does matter for the long run.

14City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:23 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I have to disagree with ya EdWin. That does not say he is writing Winnipeg off. Nor is saying your desire for a bigger, better Winnipeg is a pie-in-the-sky dream. We all see Winnipeg "growing" in differing ways.

Winnipeg is a wonderful place to live and grow old in. We have almost everything we want to live very full lives. Adding 40,000 people annually may or may not make Winnipeg a better place. It will make it a more crowded place...

To paraphrase it is not the size of the ship rather it is the motion in the ocean. I'd rather people judged Winnipeg by what it has to offer rather than by its size.

15City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:33 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:I have to disagree with ya EdWin. That does not say he is writing Winnipeg off. Nor is saying your desire for a bigger, better Winnipeg is a pie-in-the-sky dream. We all see Winnipeg "growing" in differing ways.

Winnipeg is a wonderful place to live and grow old in. We have almost everything we want to live very full lives. Adding 40,000 people annually may or may not make Winnipeg a better place. It will make it a more crowded place...

To paraphrase it is not the size of the ship rather it is the motion in the ocean. I'd rather people judged Winnipeg by what it has to offer rather than by its size.
Well, to each their own. I have watched the Big Six over the last 10 years. And yes of course there are issues with growth, but in the long run this growth makes them more well know on a global scale, and that is a very positive thing. I see these cities achieving a decent quality rapid transit system, which is more than I can say for BRT. I see these cities thriving from an increase in private investment (well, maybe Montreal might be the exception here) and less on gov't construction. I see people wanting to visit these cities and talk about them in a positive manner. I see these cities bidding for things like the Expo, or the Olympics and other major world-class venues. I experience these cities and I long for this kind of vibe to be present in Winnipeg, without removing the distince Winnipeg flavor.

16City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:06 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

BRT is a start. Job growth is happening. People are moving to Winnipeg. It is moving in the right direction. Get rid of evil doer and his minions and maybe it might accelerate more to your liking.

Heh he. But living in Edmonton and dreaming of moving to Phoenix... How is that helping Winnipeg. Just askin'.

17City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:14 pm

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Same old same old from Edwin/Chance/Anonymous. You just cannot grasp the concept that people in Winnipeg are reasonably happy,can you? I'm not belittling you, attacking you or anything else, we don't have to be the biggest and the best to be happy. Its not that hard to understand.

18City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:20 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Heh he. But living in Edmonton and dreaming of moving to Phoenix... How is that helping Winnipeg. Just askin'.
I will likely never move back to Winnipeg simply because of the climat, and the way the city is run. And I won't likely stay in Edmonton much longer, at least until my Professional Agrologist certification is complete in about 3-4 years, because of the climat, but not because of how the city is run because I think Mayor Mandel is doing a hell of a job putting Edmonton on the map. But just because I don't live there doesn't mean I don't give a rat's ass. I think this is the reason people have jumped all over Sputnik; he states his opinions, much to the dislike and non-agreement of many forumers, and then people pull the "you don't live here so your opinion mean shitall" card (not directed at you GOM, but other forumers like Eastsider). Many people don't want to listen to those that have moved away because in their minds, moving away = not caring about the city, which simply isn't true, at least for myself.

Last edited by EdWin on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

19City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:21 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

eastsider wrote:Same old same old from Edwin/Chance/Anonymous.
Then why do you bother responding? And does it give you pleasure to state three names? Does it make you feel better, (name removed by mod) Rolling Eyes
People have different opinions and are allowed to state them, so deal with it.

Last edited by grumpy old man on Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Revealing names is forbidden in this forum.)

20City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:27 pm

Anonymous

And the difference in oil wealth has nothing to do with what he can do get fricking real , what are you drinking . Each to their own but I disagree that it is a better city. Most things I have seen and heard are not all good .

21City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:45 pm

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

EdWin wrote:
eastsider wrote:Same old same old from Edwin/Chance/Anonymous.
Then why do you bother responding? And does it give you pleasure to state three names? Does it make you feel better, Niel Rolling Eyes
People have different opinions and are allowed to state them, so deal with it.
For starters if you're going to use my real name at least spell it right. And I bother responding because some of your arguments are grossly incorrect, you are posting from afar, you don't live the daily Winnipeg life that we do.......I know beans about Edmonton so I know better then to join an Edmonton forum and post there. There are so many positive things happening in all corners of the city, Transcona has gone on a condo craze, selling at upwards of 250,000 dollars, downtown the Royal Bank tower is getting a new life thanks to RRC. The Edge condos on Princess and Pacific are nearly ready, WaterFRont Drive has turned out beautifully, I can't afford to live there but I still like it! In St Boniface Provenchier Boulevard is alive and kicking, sort of like a mini Corydon. These are just a small handful of the things that are going on in the city....focus on the things we have instead of the things we don't have and you'll never hear from me again,I guarantee you that much.

22City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:06 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

eastsider wrote:focus on the things we have instead of the things we don't have and you'll never hear from me again,I guarantee you that much.
How about I focus on both, continue to speak my mind and you still guarantee me that I'll never have to hear from you again? That would be awsome! Razz

Last edited by EdWin on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

23City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:08 pm

Anonymous

eastsider wrote:
There are so many positive things happening in all corners of the city, Transcona has gone on a condo craze, selling at upwards of 250,000 dollars, downtown the Royal Bank tower is getting a new life thanks to RRC. The Edge condos on Princess and Pacific are nearly ready, WaterFRont Drive has turned out beautifully, I can't afford to live there but I still like it! In St Boniface Provenchier Boulevard is alive and kicking, sort of like a mini Corydon. These are just a small handful of the things that are going on in the city....focus on the things we have instead of the things we don't have and you'll never hear from me again,I guarantee you that much.

Don't forget the expansion of the U of W campus, the new Stadium, Centreport and the new International Airport terminal, the new transit corridors, the possible return of an NHL team, and much much more. It's definitely an exciting time to live in Winnipeg!

24City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:12 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

HurtinAlbertan wrote:
eastsider wrote:
There are so many positive things happening in all corners of the city, Transcona has gone on a condo craze, selling at upwards of 250,000 dollars, downtown the Royal Bank tower is getting a new life thanks to RRC. The Edge condos on Princess and Pacific are nearly ready, WaterFRont Drive has turned out beautifully, I can't afford to live there but I still like it! In St Boniface Provenchier Boulevard is alive and kicking, sort of like a mini Corydon. These are just a small handful of the things that are going on in the city....focus on the things we have instead of the things we don't have and you'll never hear from me again,I guarantee you that much.

Don't forget the expansion of the U of W campus, the new Stadium, Centreport and the new International Airport terminal, the new transit corridors, the possible return of an NHL team, and much much more. It's definitely an exciting time to live in Winnipeg!
This is all exciting stuff. The only one I disagree with is our newly water-down BRT "rapid transit" system that will never expand into LRT. That will be a huge loss and mistake for Winnipeg in the long run. But the airport and the stadium are my two favorites. A few new Winnipeg's tallest would be a welcome addition aswell. So, have they settled the whole stadium fiasco yet? Is it for sure to be built at the U of M? When will construction start?

Last edited by EdWin on Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

25City in "Growth Spurt" Empty Re: City in "Growth Spurt" Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:12 pm

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

EdWin wrote:
eastsider wrote:focus on the things we have instead of the things we don't have and you'll never hear from me again,I guarantee you that much.
How about I focus on both, continue to speak my mind and you still guarantee me that I'll never have to hear from you again? That would be awsome! Razz
As usual, you didn't understand what I was trying to say.......

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum