the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Biggest Waste of Taxpayer Money in Manitoba History

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Anonymous

What is the biggest waste of money that has been spent by our provincial government? I was thinking about this today, and one thing kept coming to mind- the "Bridge to Nowhere" (aka Hwy #4) that was built in 1987. For those of you unfamiliar with this bridge, it was built north of Selkirk, connecting the Selkirk by-pass to Highway # 59.

Its funny because hardly anybody uses it. I suppose if you needed to get to Winnipeg Beach from Grand Beach quicker, you would use it. However if you were travelling around Selkirk or going to Lake Winnipeg, you would just cross at Lockport, or the bridge in the town. Of course, the NDP was in power at the time, and Howard Pawley was the Premier, so I guess it wasnt too much of a coincidince that this White Elephant bridge was built in his riding.

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

HurtinAlbertan wrote:What is the biggest waste of money that has been spent by our provincial government? I was thinking about this today, and one thing kept coming to mind- the "Bridge to Nowhere" (aka Hwy #4) that was built in 1987. For those of you unfamiliar with this bridge, it was built north of Selkirk, connecting the Selkirk by-pass to Highway # 59.

Its funny because hardly anybody uses it. I suppose if you needed to get to Winnipeg Beach from Grand Beach quicker, you would use it. However if you were travelling around Selkirk or going to Lake Winnipeg, you would just cross at Lockport, or the bridge in the town. Of course, the NDP was in power at the time, and Howard Pawley was the Premier, so I guess it wasnt too much of a coincidince that this White Elephant bridge was built in his riding.
Maybe he liked playing bridge...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=winnipeg&om=1&ie=UTF8&ll=50.166591,-96.895981&spn=0.012205,0.027466&t=h&z=15
...by the year 2040, that's gonna be one heck of an intersection.
...or maybe not...

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Anonymous

Same era Borowski Highways Minister builds a road from Big Whiteshell Lake to a lake called Horseshoe Lake builds 8 miles of it to open up cottages there and stops 1and half short of the lake . The road has since grown back into bush I forget what this cost but it was not cheap . Seems him and Pawley had a thing for roads and social housing failures .

AdamX

AdamX
contributor
contributor

actually a fair number of people use that bridge, I myself have used it very often having grown up in the area. The bridge right in town takes you through East Selkirk before you get to the highway, and you have to slow down the whole way, whereas the bridge to nowhere you can continue at 100k/h right from the highway all the way to the turnoff into selkirk. It can be a quicker way into or out of town depending which direction you are coming from.

Last edited by AdamX on Sun May 31, 2009 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

http://www.cakefarter.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

AdamX wrote:actually a fair number of people use that bride...
Heh heh

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Who owned the land that was expropriated to build the approaches?

Anonymous

AdamX wrote:actually a fair number of people use that bridge, I myself have used it very often having grown up in the area. The bridge right in town takes you through East Selkirk before you get to the highway, and you have to slow down the whole way, whereas the bridge to nowhere you can continue at 100k/h right from the highway all the way to the turnoff into selkirk. It can be a quicker way into or out of town depending which direction you are coming from.

Would it not only be quicker way of coming into Selkirk if one was travelling from the Northeast (Grand Beach, Pine Falls, Pinawa, etc.). I couldnt see it being faster than approaching Selkirk from Winnipeg via #44 through Lockport, since you have to drive at least 10-15 km past Selkirk on #59 to get to the turnoff of Hwy #4.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum