the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Lax planning, cash shortage.. fail native schools

5 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/canada/2009/05/25/9564251.html

this is so fucked up and slanted of a report it aint even funny.

"
The parliamentary budget officer says Indian Affairs built an average of 35 schools a year on reserves under the Liberals.
Eight new schools have been finished since the Conservatives took power in 2006.
Another 10 new schools have been announced but the report says there’s no clear criteria to justify where they will be built. "

okay so the liberals were in power for 13 years.. 13 x 35 = 455 school were built...
Considering there are only 615 reserves in Canada... just how fricking many schools do they expect to be built?

How often should schools be replaced? I know of some functioning schools in Winnipeg that have been around for more then 100 years.

"and less than half are listed in good condition. "

who put them in less then good condition?

AND WAIT JUST A fricking MINUTE!!! 455+ of those schools were built within the last 20 years... so either they have well over 900 schools OR a good number of the new schools have already fallen into dissrepair.

If they have over 900 schools.. maybe that is the problem..too many buildings.. whats the average number of kids per class? per school?
why do some reserves have more then one school?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ahh report made at the request of the NDP.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/canada/2009/05/25/9564251.html

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

there is 1.647 Billion currently spent by INAC on education.
with 358400 people between the ages of 5 and 19 this averages out to $4595 dollars per kid on education.
The WSD1 budget is about 170 million for 33370 kids or about 5094 per kid..

so the 190 million MORE per year would actually be pretty damn close to bang on ( that is if you figured you needed to run your schools like the WSD1 does )

Anonymous

So, if that kid is going to school in Winnipeg 1, what happens to his $4595? Is it just 'absorbed'?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

well it really depends....

Alot of the reserves pay school divisions for the kids.
also true is that ALOT of Native children are simply registered in the school divisions because their parents live in the area.

So.... the question I think you are saying is

Even though INAC is responsible for 358400 kids, how many of those are educated by a different party without charge to the budget?

Which well quite frankly there are no stats at all./. But even a conservatie estimate of 10%... would pretty much make the spending per student the same then.

Anonymous

I'm saying that the bands get the money and don't need to use it on the kids as the WSD 1 pays the shots for the kids it seems. Where does that money go I wonder.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I totally agree I know for a fact this happens quite a bit

Anonymous

Man I wish I was an Indian Chief.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JTF wrote:Man I wish I was an Indian Chief.

How could anyone feel good about themselves taking that much money for little results?

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I could name a few ( Stevenson, Evans, Nelson)

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The schools aren't built to last! that is the problem! The wood is removed for firewood, the metals are ripped out to sell!
We need to build more schools but made out of concrete!
We have to double the budget because tradespeople are hard to find!

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

To bad this makes no sense what so ever . Dean have you any first hand knowledge of what you say . Have you ever worked for the reserves or Indian Affairs just wondering .

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

what first hand knowledge are you asking for Pav?

The puiblically available knowledge that there are 615 reserves in Canada?

The report information that states that the Libs built on average 35 schools per year and the publically available knowledge they were in power for 13 years?

The Math ability to know what 35 x 13 is?

The personal knowledge of kids who attend the Winnipeg School Division without the reserve paying for it?

The Many years living in the north and having multitudes of Native friends from several different reserves?

What knowledge is it that you think I need first hand?

Anonymous

Have you ever thought some of the projects were add on to the existing buildings , or that maybe there were replacements remember some of these schools were small and some were bigger. If you want to know who got one and who didn',t look under the bands report with Indian and Northern Affairs I do believe it is published on the web . Northern Education is more expensive for many reasons

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Have you ever thought some of the projects were add on to the existing buildings , or that maybe there were replacements remember some of these schools were small and some were bigger."

WHO CARES!.. they have had 455+ schools built in the last 20 years. There is no way a single one of those buildings should be in less then good condition.

So we end up with two options, they have in excess of 900 buildings, maintaining that many buildings is a strain on anyones resources. OR they have let some of those brand new buildings fall into disrepair.

The time has come not to aimlessly build new schools, but instead to take proper stock of what the issues are.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/editorials/strongeditorial---strongreserve-schools-shell-game-46214477.html

it seems they have only 803 schools... so .... why are some new ones in such bad shape?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Gotta put a plan together to build the schools PROPERLY (no short cuts) so they will last. This is a pay me now-pay me later scenario.

Do what has to be done. Frick, is this ever annoying.

Anonymous

WHO CARES!.. they have had 455+ schools built in the last 20 years. There is no way a single one of those buildings should be in less then good condition

Come on you have to be kidding really go take a trip on a reserve lol! just kidding

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Oh I know Pav, I know the real reality... but the REALITY of non reserve life is those schools should last 50+ years

Anonymous

If they were built equal , I have yet to see one that was. Atco trailers are a poor substitute for a building of the quality that Winnipeg or most towns enjoy .

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Maybe they would last longer if they didn't get burned down?

Anonymous

Well they can,t buy spray paint to tag it lol!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

atco trailers are a fine substitute. hell MANY schools in Winnipeg use them and then have actually built around them to convert to full fledge schools.

Atco trailers are built to last, if you care for them....and those are the important 5 words.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Then there is the new RCMP station being built using 10 Atco trailers. And there are all those mobile homes that peeps live in that seem to last a very long time. I have to agree with Deank. If the property is properly maintained it will absolutely last. It would certainly last much longer than it is now.

Anonymous

They are still not meant to be a reguler type of school, and yes if looked after . Take a look at Manitoba housing .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum