the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Winnipeg police confiscate documentary filmmaker's camera

+5
umcrouc0
AGEsAces
rosencrentz
Deank
grumpy old man
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

CBC News

A Genie Award winning documentary filmmaker claims his rights were violated by Winnipeg police, who confiscated his camera while he was filming in the city on Wednesday.

John Paskievich was filming a documentary just north of the downtown core, on Gertie Street, when four officers confronted him, he said. They asked him to stop taping, and then confiscated his camera when he didn't comply, he said.

They also detained him and frisked him, according to Paskievich.

"This is Canada. If you're on a public street you have every right to film what's going on. It's the law," he said. "What they've done is just wrong."

Read story here.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

This is getting fricking ridiculous.

The Winnipeg Police Service said it is looking into the incident.

How long before a report is made?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

6 months, 6 and 1/2 in Newfoundland

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

at least this time nothing was missing off the film.. but yeah crazy crazy times

Anonymous

It appears to be a very bizzare incident eh.

How come the police sent 4 cops to stop him from intimidating a back-hoe operator ?

There is a need for some explaining methinks.

Anonymous

Yes why was the backhoe digging there for what.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The police hired them to look for their fricking brains.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

It never happened!

http://www.elansofas.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The Police are up to their old tricks. We really do need to stop this horsesh1te right now. The Police need to be put on notice this kind of action is absolutely intolerable.

A Calgary man is upset after police allegedly deleted photos he took of an arrest on Sunday afternoon.

Freelance photographer Robert Thivierge was on his way home after taking photos of the Fiestaval Sunday and along 8th Avenue and 1st Street he said he saw four police officers arresting a man and began snapping photos.

“Then an officer approached me and said I couldn’t leave with photos and I wasn’t allowed to keep them and they were demanding I delete them or lose my camera for a year,” Thivierge said.

Thivierge said a debate with officers began, and they demanded he delete the photos, but because of a glitch with his camera he was able to keep two photos that he later uploaded to his Flickr account. “I didn’t think they were doing anything wrong, the only thing that made me suspicious is the fact they were demanding I delete them.”

Calgary police spokesperson Kevin Brookwell said he was aware of the incident but was waiting to speak to the officers involved for their side.

“Basically, we have no legal authority to stop people from taking photos in a public area or no authority to delete the photos,” Brookwell said, noting that if they were needed for evidence they would acquire the photos and return the camera or memory card to the owner.

KRISTA SYLVESTER, METRO CALGARY

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Calgary police spokesperson Kevin Brookwell said he was aware of the incident but was waiting to speak to the officers involved for their side.
"

Aware of the incident but waiting to speak to the offiicers?

WTF??

Seriously WTF????

If one of my employees did something like this, they would be called on to the carpet ASAP. Drop what you are doing get in here now and answer some very hard questions.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

now who's quick to judge?

it could be there were undercover officers working in the area...whose identity they were protecting...but obviously they can't tell the photographer that...nor the public.

it could be they were working a case of a threat of nuclear bombs or something...which again...would be a problem, as it could cause panic among the public.

While I agree the situation MAY be suspect...until the investigation is complete...it should be assumed the officers may have been doing something good...and a non-compliant individual is making things worse.

One of my favourite quotes which applies to things like this is from MIB...where K is telling J about aliens existing. He says "a person is smart...but people are stupid"...and it's the truth.

It's the reason things like "mob mentality" exist...because nobody wants to stand up against the crowd.

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Even when the investigation is complete. there is no legal ability for the cops to do this. They have one choice and that is to confisicate the camera or memory. Tell him what legal reason they have for doing it and let a judge decide if they acted properly.

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Could be more to this story. You apparently need a permit to film on public thoroughfairs (streets, sidwalks, etc) according to the city. Did he have a permit? Or assume he didn't need one because it was a documentary? Do you need a permit for a documentary? Etc, etc. Maybe the police didn't act correctly, but anytime someone says their rights have been violated, it's not necessarily the case.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

actually...IMO...the cop was trying to be nice to the guy.

instead of walking over and confiscating the camera...he gave the guy an option..."delete the photos" or have it confiscated.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

or he could have not been an ass,
told the guy, listen we have some cops identies that can not be revealed here and we need those pictures deleted or I will confiscate them under law such and such at which time there will be a court proceeding to determine if I am correct or not and if you can have them back, this court proceeding may take a year or more.

then if that happened, we would not have even heard of this story.

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Based on the guy's statement it could be that he was being unreasonable as well. They could have asked him nicely and had him go off on some rant instead of just explaining his position. I know it's taken out of context but the guy sounds a bit like a self-rightous tool who feels he's entitled to do whatever he wants because he has a camera in his hand. Without being there it's tough to say.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

pretty easy to say even if it means an offiicers idenity is compromised they have no LEGAL standing requesting him to not take pictures. What if he had photographic memory? They going to wipe that too?

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

and...the cop would not be allowed to reveal that there may be other cops whose identities are being protected...that may prompt the guy (who quite honestly seems like a jerk) to sneak around the corner and take more photos from a hidden location.

we also weren't there...so who knows if the guy had interfered somehow, or been trying to get too close to the scene...from the article as written, the only side presented is the photographer's...who obviously has his own viewpoint of what happened.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:pretty easy to say even if it means an offiicers idenity is compromised they have no LEGAL standing requesting him to not take pictures. What if he had photographic memory? They going to wipe that too?

photographic memories can't be posted on flickr.

and...again from the article...quite obvious this guy has no respect for the law, or the cops...since he was told to delete the photos...and yet the two he 'snuck' out...he posted for the world to see.

quite honestly...i believe if I was an officer involved...i'd go arrest the guy for violating a police officer's order (and yes...you can be arrested for that...even shot).

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

and taking pictures of cops, even when they WANT their identity to remain hidden is still LEGAL.

They dont want their picture taken during a bust, here is a hint...dont go to the bust.

umcrouc0

umcrouc0
contributor plus
contributor plus

Well, they didn't delete the footage so they don't seem to concered about the content of it.

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:and taking pictures of cops, even when they WANT their identity to remain hidden is still LEGAL.

They dont want their picture taken during a bust, here is a hint...dont go to the bust.

Dean, tell me you're being funny here. I can already imagine the thread you'd start when the Free Press runs the headline: "Cop abstains from drug raid for fear of getting his photo taken".

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

nope not being funny. The "undercover" cops do not NEED to be part of arrests or raids. They just want to for the sense of completion of duty.

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

So whenever a raid is done, any undercover police officers that may have infiltrated the group are usually not present?

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

Anonymous

Ahhh....some wear balaclavas.

One doesn't need a permit to take pictures or film in a public place. You need a permit if you are going to obstruct a street or sidewalk thoug...big difference btw.

It appears at this point in time, that the cops were way out of line and should be severely sanctioned for abusing their authority....something that should not be taken lightly.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum