the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Stabbing victim runs into restaurant

+6
LivingDead
Sam
nickelback
KellyH
Freeman
grumpy old man
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Is Violence Increasing in Winnipeg?

Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Vote_lcap60%Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Vote_rcap 60% [ 6 ]
Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Vote_lcap10%Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Vote_rcap 10% [ 1 ]
Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Vote_lcap30%Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Vote_rcap 30% [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 10

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:38 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

This is where I go every weekend, at around 8am, for breakfast. Today I went somewhere else... Yikes. The north end has come to Tuxedo (just funnin' ya n...)...

From the Winnipeg Free Press
By: Meghan Hurley

A young woman who had been stabbed and was covered in blood ran into a Salisbury House on Corydon Avenue about 7:30 this morning. She was taken to hospital in stable condition.

"She was screaming 'he's trying to kill me, he's trying to kill me,'" said a witness, who didn't want his name used. "A man came in a few seconds behind her carrying a knife. He just had a strange look in his eyes and she was scared to death."

The man was carrying a knife that was at least eight-inches long that looked like a meat clever.

When a restaurant employee saw the woman was bleeding and had a large gash on her arm, he called 911.

The woman ran to the washroom where she hid until the man left.

Police said the woman had been stabbed before she ran into the restaurant.

A suspect was arrested a short time later in the Tuxedo area.

meghan.hurley@freepress.mb.ca

2Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:08 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Obviously the Free Press made a mistake. It must have been a Sal's in the North End for such a thing to happen. Expect follow up articles to refer to this as a Sals in the North end of Tuxedo.

3Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:32 pm

KellyH

KellyH

Oh wow. I hope she's ok.

That's really scary, almost like it's out of a movie.

4Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:08 pm

nickelback

Well the attacker probably lived in the north end.

5Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:09 pm

Anonymous

Sounds like it was a domestic dispute so the news said tonight

6Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:22 pm

Sam

Sam

Freeman wrote:Obviously the Free Press made a mistake. It must have been a Sal's in the North End for such a thing to happen. Expect follow up articles to refer to this as a Sals in the North end of Tuxedo.
Well technically you could stretch it by saying that Corydon (Tuxedo shopping centre) is (ahem) sorta like the north end of Tuxedo. Neutral

7Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:23 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yea, sure, but the real north end of Tuxedo is rosen's neighbourhood: Wellington Crescent.

8Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:26 pm

Sam

Sam

grumpy old man wrote:Yea, sure, but the real north end of Tuxedo is rosen's neighbourhood: Wellington Crescent.
Funny you should mention that, I was thinking the same thing. Wonder what Rosen has to say about it?

9Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:52 pm

Anonymous

Where was he did Alex drive him to something Shocked

10Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:25 pm

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

This kind of incident can happen any where, any time, to any one. Not knowing why it happened, I can only guess. Maybe the girl dumped her BF and he freaked, or maybe He was a stalker, or maybe he found out she was cheating on him. It happens to rich kids and poor alike.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

11Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:19 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

she got stabbed and then she ran into the restraunt? I wonder which part hurt worse?

12Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:57 am

Anonymous

I don't know about anyone else, but if I got stabbed, I'd run to a hospital and not a restaurant. Just saying.

13Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:07 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF wrote:I don't know about anyone else, but if I got stabbed, I'd run to a hospital and not a restaurant. Just saying.

Especially Sal's.

14Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:28 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Yeah but Jimmy... the Restraunt was right there. A hospital close to there anywhere?

15Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:32 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

All kidding aside, running to a restaurant or any place with people is the right thing to do. First, there are people who will help, even if it is just to call 911. Secondly, an attacker is less likely to continue the assault in front of a bunch of witnesses.

This was 7:30 am, so its pretty quiet that time of the morning, so a restaurant was a good choice.

16Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:46 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

She did the right thing...and, unfortunately someone in the restaurant didn't subdue the attacker. They let him leave with the chance that he would not be captured.

I know some of you will argue that you should not get into harm's way...and most people won't...but someone should've done something then.

Incidentally...to the poll attached to this thread...I don't think there is MORE violence these days...I just think there's more being REPORTED by the news media. They also tend to sensationalize it all...ESPECIALLY when there's not much globally or significant to report.

Add to that the criminals are getting away with more, and getting lighter sentences...and there will be a mentality that it's ok to commit crimes...so there will be crimes with MORE violence...but not necessarily MORE CRIME.

http://www.photage.ca

17Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:50 am

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

That's pretty close to Juvie and the Manitoba housing complex adjacent to it. (I've always wondered if that housing is there for the repeat offenders families can visit often, or if it just makes it easier to make it home on a jailbreak...)

18Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:05 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Yeah, she did the right thing. Can't agree that someone should have tried to subdue the guy....he had a knife!!! OK, OK, it was a restaurant and it was probably full of knives, but I do not believe that anyone should be expected to put themselves in harms way in a situation like that. It may just as well have escalated the situation.
I wasn't there, so I'm not in a position to judge people's responses.

19Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:19 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Freeman wrote:Yeah, she did the right thing. Can't agree that someone should have tried to subdue the guy....he had a knife!!! OK, OK, it was a restaurant and it was probably full of knives, but I do not believe that anyone should be expected to put themselves in harms way in a situation like that. It may just as well have escalated the situation.
I wasn't there, so I'm not in a position to judge people's responses.

Yes, I understand the unwillingness to help...or inability...as most the people were quite possibly just frozen with fear and astonishment.

And...yeah, the guy had a knife...and I'm sure the people sitting there with their coffee spoons felt inadequately armed to defend against him.

It doesn't surprise me that noone helped...I am just expressing my disappointment that noone did. That nobody at least challenged him and kept him from leaving before the police got there.

What I AM surprised about though...is that at a Sal's at 7:00am, there were no cops sitting there having breakfast to begin with Smile).

20Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:28 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

C'mon, Ages, thats ridiculous. The cops were at Tim Horton's.

21Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:47 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Freeman wrote:C'mon, Ages, thats ridiculous. The cops were at Tim Horton's.

I didn't know there was a TH in that area Wink.

22Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:12 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

you ever piss off a sals waitress? Not to be recommended... even if you have a knife

23Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:14 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

RULE NUMBER ONE
Never piss off anyone that serves you food.

24Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:16 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Unless... you have a hankering for a lugee...

25Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Empty Re: Stabbing victim runs into restaurant Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:18 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Unless... you have a hankering for a lugee...
Precisely!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum