the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Fiat tells union ... $19 per hour pay cut or we walk away from Chrysler.

+9
Bartron
grumpyrom
LivingDead
rosencrentz
St Norberter
grumpy old man
Triniman
holly golightly
Deank
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

$19 figure comes from BT this morning...

http://www.motorauthority.com/fiat-in-talks-with-chrysler-confirms-500-for-us.html

man.. a $19 pay cut.. hard to imagine many people taking a $38,000 per year pay cut and still being able to survive.

I wonder what they make per hour that $19 would seem reasonable....

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

It's about time someone stood up to the CAW/UAW and told them that to make it through this recession, wages will have to be part of the concession along with product line cuts. What is the highest payout by any company but wages and if the employees and the union say no to this then it will be much more than a $19.00/hour wage decrease, they will be unemployed as Fiat will walk away from the table and the doors will close on Chrysler.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

according to a post I read somewhere.. wages make up barely anything at all in the price of a car..... anyone care to elaborate with some details?

Anonymous

...and I've heard that it's about $3K + per car.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Fiat tells union ... $19 per hour pay cut or we walk away from Chrysler. 1210-biz-webleonhardt

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JTF wrote:...and I've heard that it's about $3K + per car.
so at 71 dollars per hour a mere 42 human hours goes into every car?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

For a perspective from a LARGE Canadian manufacturer that is not one of the big three...

When we used to budget staff hires we always factored in 15% over and above wages for benefit and wage related costs. And there were no legacy costs.

That works out to almost 100% for Ford. Yikes. I believe GM and Chrysler are higher.

Is it any wonder a) the US product is not profitable and b) their prices are high? Imagine what the selling prices could be if there were normal benefit and related costs...

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

$29 per hour? That's $60K /yr to screw in a bolt.

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"That's $60K /yr to screw in a bolt."

before I take that job, I want to know how much leg room there is in this Bolt model car...

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Fiat tells union ... $19 per hour pay cut or we walk away from Chrysler. Wm2135_chart1

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ain't reality a b1tch... But this is the fault of the manufacturer. The employees and the union have played no role in this...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ceeerist!.. and that was in 2006...

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I do not believe any of the figures! If $71 per hour is not accurate .
Legacy costs are bullcrap! Retirement funds are seperate, as they were put away as the workers were working years ago. To charge it as a current cost to the todays workers cost is not reasonable. If the company screwed around without putting the money away to support the retired people, then call in the RCMP, Schreiber, and Mulroney to set it straight.
If I have people working for $25 per hour, and I have a seperate retirement fund, who would say the retirees are costing $16 per hour?
Remember , statistics don't lie, statisticians do!

http://www.elansofas.com

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Reagan fired AT controllers when they went on strike. Why are employers afraid of unions?

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:$19 figure comes from BT this morning...

http://www.motorauthority.com/fiat-in-talks-with-chrysler-confirms-500-for-us.html

man.. a $19 pay cut.. hard to imagine many people taking a $38,000 per year pay cut and still being able to survive.

I wonder what they make per hour that $19 would seem reasonable....

As far as I'm concerned they should get $19.00 per hour. Lets see if they can make ends meet like I do.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

It seems like Rosen is the only one that get's it.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

[dripping sarcasm] And it's for that reason grumpyrom that we are eternally grateful there are people like you around to educate us ignorant peeps. Thank you ever so much.

And we are also ever so grateful for the CAW for keeping things in perspective while negotiating because clearly management does not know how to run a business. I don't understand why all automotive companies are not run by these extremely knowledgeable union executives. [/dripping sarcasm]

Anonymous

Cause then they would really have to work sarcasm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Just fire unionized peeps. Kill off the CAW. Start fresh. There's plenty of hungry peeps willing to work for reasonable compensation.

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:[dripping sarcasm] And it's for that reason grumpyrom that we are eternally grateful there are people like you around to educate us ignorant peeps. Thank you ever so much.

And we are also ever so grateful for the CAW for keeping things in perspective while negotiating because clearly management does not know how to run a business. I don't understand why all automotive companies are not run by these extremely knowledgeable union executives. [/dripping sarcasm]

Well in the big 3's case management doesn't know how to run a business or they wouldn't be in this mess!

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If the unions got their members $71 per hour than the unions are responsible for killing the company. That wage, and remember that 71 is bullcrap in my opinion, would make any company not competitive to cars being made elsewhere, and would probably cause job loss to countries like Mexico, Japan, or any country other than Canada!
That hasn't happened has it?
The unionized workers do not earn $150,000 per year, or do they?
Does anyone on this forum have any first hand information? All what is being published is so non believable!

http://www.elansofas.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

CAW does not even wait for talks to resume.. tells them that they will not agree to $19... no matter what.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/090420/business/cbusiness_us_autos_canada_union

Anonymous

I'm glad we don't own any north american cars anymore, as it doesn't look good for them guys.

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

The government should do the same thing to the unions that they did with the businesses that paid out bonuses after getting a handout. In that case the US gov't passed a law that taxed those bonuses at 90%.

I say that if an automaker like GM or Chrysler goes under because the union won't agree to wage cuts, then the union should be taxed or fined at a rate equal to 90% of the e.i. benefits that will be paid to the employees out of work. Why should taxpayers foot the e.i. bill because the unions are greedy?

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

Anonymous

The CAW should give there collective heads a shake a job is better then no job, and the chance that the auto makers could walk away from Canada . After all the Free Trade agreement would let them as long as they left some no skill jobs here like warehouse work .

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum