the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy!

+3
Deank
grumpy old man
rosencrentz
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:35 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

No tasers at time of shooting: police

Canwest News Service Published: Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Neither the police officer who shot and killed a homeless man in Vancouver on Friday nor her partner were armed with Tasers, Vancouver police spokeswoman Jana McGuinness says. The officer shot Michael Vann Hubbard, 58, after he threatened her with a small box-cutter. An autopsy showed he died of a single gunshot wound. Police said the 31-year-old officer and her 43-year-old partner responded to a mid-morning 911 call reporting a vehicle theft. The two female officers, both with five years experience on the force, approached Mr. Hubbard at the scene. Police said Mr. Hubbard pulled out a box-cutter and refused commands to drop the knife. The officers called for backup, but the man advanced on them, Ms. McGuinness said. "Investigators are currently reviewing surveillance video of the incident obtained from two separate sources," she said in a statement. Vancouver police Chief Jim Chu has asked the Abbotsford police force to investigate the shooting.

http://www.elansofas.com

2No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:42 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Man killed by Vancouver police not a suspect in theft, group says

Canwest News Service Published: Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The homeless man Vancouver police shot and killed on Friday was not the theft suspect they were chasing, according to the president of the B. C. Civil Liberties Association. David Eby, pictured, said he was told by both the victim's sister and a senior Vancouver police officer that police were called after a vehicle theft in downtown Vancouver. The two female officers were looking for a man wearing a black backpack allegedly stolen from the car when they stopped Michael Vann Hubbard, who was carrying a similar bag. One of the officers fatally shot the 58-year-old man after he pulled out a box-cutter. "After the shooting, the bag was examined and it wasn't the bag (stolen) from the car," Mr. Eby said. He said police Superintendent Rob Rothwell confirmed information obtained by the victim's sister that Mr. Hubbard was not a suspect in the break-and-enter.

3No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:57 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Let's hope the video vindicates these officers.

This was a 58 year old man, holding a box-cutter. He would have to get very close to pose a threat no?

Did they not have batons? Knock the box-cutter from his hand?

Did they not have feet? Move out of reach?

Did he really pose a threat to these two cops? Was the fact it was two female officers a mitigating fact?

4No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:24 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"police were called after a vehicle theft in downtown Vancouver"

waaaaaaa!!!!!!... police respond to vehicle theft????

"Did they not have batons? Knock the box-cutter from his hand?
"

depends.. they were both female and females are usually smaller then males. Is a decription of the officers available?

5No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:29 am

Anonymous

Somebody is in the dodo.

6No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:07 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Hey Dean...you should know better than anyone...size doesn't matter Wink

But...in this case...it should be investigated the training the cops had...experience with other perpetrators? Been attacked before?

And I want to know where this homeless man's sister came from? Why isn't he living with her? I know if my brother was homeless...I'd drag him off the street myself (after I disarmed him of his boxcutter) and lock him in a room in my house if I had to.

And...to the homeless guy...that boxcutter was not a weapon...it was a hammer...it's how he built his home(s). And the officers were taking away his means of shelter.

Without knowing all the details...I'd presume the officers were inexperienced, and overreacted. It will probably be deemed a "justified" shooting, as he was brandishing a weapon...but it will basically freeze their careers from being ripe with advancement.

http://www.photage.ca

7No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:17 am

Anonymous

Without knowing all the details

The key phrase we don't have all the details .

8No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:25 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

AgesAces... easy to say that you would keep him home.. hard to do. short of locking him in your basement it is not always possible. Some homeless people are there because they are running away from the family and regardless of how much the family tells them they love them and want them back they just wont go back.

9No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:35 am

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Don't brandish a blade and advance on police officers.

10No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:36 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

true.. but that really depends on the situation.
hell I have disarmed people who advanced on me with a knife. and this when I was under 20 and with no special police training.

11No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:45 am

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

And did you have a gun?

12No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:49 am

Anonymous

I would think that a baton would trump a box-cutter in a street fight. Certainly blinding someone with pepper-spray and then wacking their hands would do the trick....but then again, one must be in possession of a set of balls to do that I suppose.

Last edited by JTF on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total

13No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:49 am

Anonymous

Dean that guy was drunker then you and you were on the floor . lol!

14No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:59 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LOL... no no.. I was the one who was drunk.. a "gang" of kids tried demanding my money from me.. The leader had a knife... the leader ended up on the ground with his friends laughing at him,.

just one the gun JTF ( this is my rifle, this is my gun.. )

15No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:09 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:LOL... no no.. I was the one who was drunk.. a "gang" of kids tried demanding my money from me.. The leader had a knife... the leader ended up on the ground with his friends laughing at him,.

just one the gun JTF ( this is my rifle, this is my gun.. )

One is for shooting...one is for fun Smile.

http://www.photage.ca

16No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:09 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

So you didn't exactly have the same options as the police officers, did you....

17No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:12 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

that time? no.
the other time.. close to the same options yes. disarmed the guy by handing him a beer and telling him to shut up quit acting like a baby and telling him that he could either drink the beer or have it shoved up his ass if he did not drop the knife.

18No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:15 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Breaking News---

Other hand had a stapler in it!!

19No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

a boxcutter and a stapler????? was he an disgruntled ex UPS employee? What a Face

20No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:29 pm

Anonymous

lol!

21No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:40 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Tough decision. Try to wrestle with a guy who has something that can hurt or even kill me or just shoot the bastard.

22No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:05 am

Anonymous

Why would you want to 'wrestle' with the guy. You'd want to keep a bit of a distance between the two of you and use a weapon (baton) to attach the arm holding the box-cutter, or alternatively, strike to render the opponent unconscious or disabled in some other way.

You can pretty much cause as much damage with a baton as you can with a box-cutter.

However, this is about escalating the weaponry for convenience I reckon. But, I'd think pepper-spray and a baton would be sufficient.

23No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:05 pm

AdamX

AdamX
contributor
contributor

oh boy where to start...

knock the knife out of his hand with a baton, are you crazy? depending on the brand name of baton the max size when extended is about 26 inches. thats just over 2 feet. would you really want to be that close to someone threatening to cut you? absolutely not.

not only is that waay too close for comfort with an edged weapon, but consider the small target that someones hand actually makes, and how fast a person can move their hands. The better target would of course be on the legs or body somewhere, which means getting in even closer to that knife to try and reach past it. For an officer to even attempt something as ridiculous as that would be just asking to be seriously cut or killed.

on pepper spray: it doesnt say in this article whether it was used or not, so we can only speculate that either the situation escalated too fast for them to try pepper spray first or they did try it first and it simply didnt work.

interesting fact for you all, pepper spray (actually OC spray) as a rule does not affect anyone who is drunk, high, or has a mental disorder. Aside from those large groups, it also simply does not affect about 15% of regular people. so its not as simple as just "blinding the guy with pepper spray"

"This was a 58 year old man, holding a box-cutter. He would have to get very close to pose a threat no?"

if someone is advancing on you with an edged weapon, your "safe" zone is about 30 feet away from them. From 30 feet, a person standing still can break into a charge and be on top of an officer cutting them before the officer has time to draw their gun and aim. so depending on whether you consider 30 feet to be 'very close' .....

"Did they not have feet? Move out of reach?"

training would dictate that they attempt to gain some distance. Distance is the first thing any officer wants when dealing with a weapon. But without knowing the details and the area they were in its hard to say... maybe they had nowhere to back up, or nothing to take cover behind, maybe if they moved any farther away the man would have been a threat to other members of the public. Who knows.

pretty much anywhere you go its pretty clear cut, pull a knife and advance on police officers, get shot. justifiably so.

http://www.cakefarter.com

24No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:18 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Aside from those large groups"
LOL

25No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Empty Re: No Tasers So We Had To Kill The Guy! Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:36 pm

Anonymous

AdamX wrote:oh boy where to start...

knock the knife out of his hand with a baton, are you crazy? depending on the brand name of baton the max size when extended is about 26 inches. thats just over 2 feet. would you really want to be that close to someone threatening to cut you? absolutely not.

not only is that waay too close for comfort with an edged weapon, but consider the small target that someones hand actually makes, and how fast a person can move their hands. The better target would of course be on the legs or body somewhere, which means getting in even closer to that knife to try and reach past it. For an officer to even attempt something as ridiculous as that would be just asking to be seriously cut or killed.

on pepper spray: it doesnt say in this article whether it was used or not, so we can only speculate that either the situation escalated too fast for them to try pepper spray first or they did try it first and it simply didnt work.

interesting fact for you all, pepper spray (actually OC spray) as a rule does not affect anyone who is drunk, high, or has a mental disorder. Aside from those large groups, it also simply does not affect about 15% of regular people. so its not as simple as just "blinding the guy with pepper spray"

"This was a 58 year old man, holding a box-cutter. He would have to get very close to pose a threat no?"

if someone is advancing on you with an edged weapon, your "safe" zone is about 30 feet away from them. From 30 feet, a person standing still can break into a charge and be on top of an officer cutting them before the officer has time to draw their gun and aim. so depending on whether you consider 30 feet to be 'very close' .....

"Did they not have feet? Move out of reach?"

training would dictate that they attempt to gain some distance. Distance is the first thing any officer wants when dealing with a weapon. But without knowing the details and the area they were in its hard to say... maybe they had nowhere to back up, or nothing to take cover behind, maybe if they moved any farther away the man would have been a threat to other members of the public. Who knows.

pretty much anywhere you go its pretty clear cut, pull a knife and advance on police officers, get shot. justifiably so.

So. Does not your training include how to disarm a person then, other than shooting them?

Seems lacking if that's the case, or has it been dumbed-down to accomodate little people being admitted to the service?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum