the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Seal spam spurs threat

+2
Freeman
grumpy old man
6 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Seal spam spurs threat Empty Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:35 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

By ALTHIA RAJ, NATIONAL BUREAU

Last Updated: 27th March 2009, 1:54am

A Liberal senator who was flooded with thousands of e-mails from anti-seal hunt protesters is threatening to refer one woman's bombardment to the RCMP.

Yoine Goldstein, a senator from Quebec who is set to retire in two months, said he received so many e-mails they crashed his BlackBerry.

He's not the only one. Senators report receiving 6,000 to 80,000 e-mails from people protesting the seal hunt.

But Goldstein may be the only senator who has threatened to call the cops on a letter writer for jamming his inbox.

"I have asked you politely to remove me from your list. You have ignored my polite request. Would you prefer that I ask the RCMP to deal with it?," he wrote to Louise McGannon, a resident of South Dakota.

McGannon said she was "frightened" when she received his response. "I was really scared. He threatened me with the Royal Canadian Mounted Police," she said.

She fears the Mounties will come after her and hasn't sent any e-mails since receiving Goldstein's response.

'VERY CRUEL'

She admits she isn't sure how Canada's system works -- she has been e-mailing every senator for the past two years, but has not contacted any MPs.

"I'm just an individual who thinks this is very, very cruel and would love to see it end. It makes me sick to my stomach," she said.

Goldstein said he made the RCMP comment after receiving 30 e-mails from the same person in three days.

"I was outraged," he said.

Goldstein, who has a bill in the Senate to get rid of spam, thinks people should be able to communicate with parliamentarians, but not like this.

"I felt I was being personally abused," he said.

Newfoundland Sen. George Baker said he has received at least 25,000 e-mails. He said he doesn't read them.

"Do you think I'm crazy? They are deleted with a click of a button," he said.

Liberal Sen. Celine Herveux-Payette, a defender of the hunt, described the e-mail campaign as "intimidation."

"Do you think parliamentarians will make decisions according to the number of e-mails?" she said.

The Senate recently refused a proposal by Liberal appointee Mac Harb to hold a debate on how the seal hunt affects Canada's reputation abroad. Undeterred, he continues to table daily petitions.

And as far as the RCMP comment? Not appropriate, said Harb.

"Senators should receive all the mail."

ALTHIA.RAJ@SUNMEDIA.CA

2Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:40 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Would you prefer that I ask the RCMP to deal with it?," he wrote to Louise McGannon, a resident of South Dakota.
RCMP??? WTF? Yet another reason to abolish the Senate. But wait, this is not the only knob in the senate...
Newfoundland Sen. George Baker said he has received at least 25,000 e-mails. He said he doesn't read them.

"Do you think I'm crazy? They are deleted with a click of a button," he said.
This icehole says he does not read his eMAIL. What? Granted 25,000 is a stupid number but how does this "Senator" touch the common Canadian? Oh yeah, there is more...
Liberal Sen. Celine Herveux-Payette, a defender of the hunt, described the e-mail campaign as "intimidation."

"Do you think parliamentarians will make decisions according to the number of e-mails?" she said.
Uhhh, yes you ignorant twit. Yes we do think you should make decisions according to the number of eMAILs. And letters. And phone calls. And conversations.

Anyone notice what these bozos have in common?

Last edited by grumpy old man on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total

3Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:48 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Might as well read the email, its not like they have anything else to do all day anyway. Useless bunch of Commie Bastards.

4Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:49 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

He asked to be removed from her email list. Her refusal to do so if this guy was an American senator would result in almost automatic substanial fines, and time in jail. Her emails are harrasment pure and simple so even under Canadian law she can be jailed for that. IMHO he reacted properly.

5Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:24 am

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

I agree with Deank.

Senatorial decisions should not be swayed by the NUMBER of emails received by one individual. That's ludicrous.

6Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:28 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Why not? If 10,000 people email a senator with one position and 1000 the opposing position then you bet your ass they should be influenced.

Not so much if the 10,000 emails are from a handful of people though.

7Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:30 am

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

That's basing it on number of people, not number of emails.

That is the difference.

8Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:30 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

and not so much if the 10 000 emails are from people in another country...

9Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:32 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

FlyingRat wrote:That's basing it on number of people, not number of emails.

That is the difference.
Meh. Splitting hairs MrRat. The senators would at least have to look at each and every eMAIL to see who it is from and what their position is.

I fear we are taking a too much WFC attitude. Hold these bozo's accountable.

10Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:33 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

more like...I care... do you realize the damage the seal population would do to the environment if the seal cull was not allowed?

11Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:42 am

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Grumpy this is not splitting hairs. I suppose in your model, you can vote for a polician as many times as you like. Even if they are not in your riding, or country!

12Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:59 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

FlyingRat wrote:Grumpy this is not splitting hairs. I suppose in your model, you can vote for a polician as many times as you like. Even if they are not in your riding, or country!
What? Where is this nonsense coming from? What are you going on about?

I'm not saying non-Canadians should have a voice I'm talking about Canadians. I am not talking about votes. Heck this is the fricken senate!

13Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:06 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

but you are saying that all these emails from random people should be read and consumed by the Senators before they make a decision.
1) Mostly only Canadians should be impacting what our elected and non elected officials should say
2) Constant repetition of your statement should not make it LOUDER then anyone elses
3) When asked to stop spamming someone, you should

14Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:10 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Okay. Geeze. Let me make it PERFECTLY clear.

I - AM - NOT - SAYING - SENATORS - MUST - LISTEN - TO - NON - CANADIANS.

but you are saying that all these emails from random people should be read and consumed by the Senators before they make a decision.
Yes!!!

C-mon read my posts.

15Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:11 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ummm... so the senators must read the emails from non canadians... they just dont have to listen to them at all?

And the use in reading them for no reason would be?

16Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:17 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Yes, I can read you posts. Senators do not have to read 80,000 spam emails to get a pulse check on the opinions of the populace. Constant repetition of ones statement should not make it louder then anyone elses. Do you agree with those statements?

17Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:25 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The assumption being made is all emails are spam emails. My point has nothing whatsoever to do with spam. Just common email from common Canadians.

No one should have to deal with spam.

FWIW I cannot even get off a political telemarketing call list on the do not call list. Different standards?

18Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:34 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"FWIW I cannot even get off a political telemarketing call list on the do not call list. Different standards?"

LOL yeppers actually .. totally different standards.. political associations and pollsters are exempt Smile

19Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:35 pm

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

ok, try this on for size,

my girlfriend get biweekly calls from capital one looking for a former customer of theirs who must owe them a fair bit of money.

Shes explained to them roughly 10-15 times that she does not know the person or have any info on who this person is.

Shes spoke to a 'supervisor' and explained such.

Shes swore at them and cussed them out.

They still call every second tuesday or wednesday

What is she to do, phone the police? Do you know how rediculas that sounds? Why should a senator threaten (supposedly justifiably) that action?

20Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:36 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

To get off the political call list, just say "If your party ever phones me again, I will not vote for you."

21Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:38 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

@casualchris: The call out centre is committing harassment. Referral to the police is the correct action to take, if a remedy is desired.

22Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:39 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

casualchris wrote:ok, try this on for size,

my girlfriend get biweekly calls from capital one looking for a former customer of theirs who must owe them a fair bit of money.

Shes explained to them roughly 10-15 times that she does not know the person or have any info on who this person is.

Shes spoke to a 'supervisor' and explained such.

Shes swore at them and cussed them out.

They still call every second tuesday or wednesday

What is she to do, phone the police? Do you know how rediculas that sounds? Why should a senator threaten (supposedly justifiably) that action?

actually yes call the police and file a harrasment complaint. and no it does not sound ridiculous.

23Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:11 pm

Anonymous

There's a process through MTS I believe, as well.

24Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:59 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:
FlyingRat wrote:Grumpy this is not splitting hairs. I suppose in your model, you can vote for a polician as many times as you like. Even if they are not in your riding, or country!
What? Where is this nonsense coming from? What are you going on about?

I'm not saying non-Canadians should have a voice I'm talking about Canadians. I am not talking about votes. Heck this is the fricken senate!

Senators never have to worry about votes hence the problem with our system . hell the ideal you think is there Grumpy is great , but the truth is the system is run by the banks . There has to be some major changes to the system and who pays the bills and the campaigns for these bozo's

25Seal spam spurs threat Empty Re: Seal spam spurs threat Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:38 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

you know I keep thinking..

Seal spam is that any better the Klick?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum