the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do We have a misplacd faith in religious belief?

+12
Sourpuss
Freeman
IG Guy
FlyingRat
grumpy old man
AdamX
Deank
Bartron
SMW
winnipegceilingcat
EdWin
rosencrentz
16 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/GIS.Servlets.HTMLTemplate?current_row=49&tf=tgam/columnists/FullColumn.html&cf=tgam/columnists/FullColumn.cfg&configFileLoc=tgam/config&date=&dateOffset=&hub=johnMacLachlanGray&title=John_MacLachlan_Gray&cache_key=johnMacLachlanGray&start_row=49&num_rows=1

Why are there so many smart people out there who went to school?
"Why don't read about mobs of atheists stoning , burning and blowing up human beings who do not share their non-beliefs?
I am so happy that I have my box of clippings at home- This is from 2002, March 13th Globe and mail

http://www.elansofas.com

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

rosencrentz, what does faith or religion have to do with the story you are presenting here? I know you love to belittle those who believe in God (or other religions), but now I think you are grasping at straws here, and that is very sad. I know that you are an older gentlemen set in his ways, but come on.

winnipegceilingcat

winnipegceilingcat

well.. um we sorta DO hear about mobs of atheists doing that.. they just don't proclaim that they do what they do in the name of nothing.

the way i look at it is this. Not a whole lot in science is based on science fact. its all based on scientific theory. such as the big bang theory or the theory of evolution.
basically its the same thing as people believing in a god. until either side can come up with a definite answer i just reserve my judgment.

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

Funny, I've been writing about this very subject lately...

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

winnipegceilingcat wrote:well.. um we sorta DO hear about mobs of atheists doing that.. they just don't proclaim that they do what they do in the name of nothing.

the way i look at it is this. Not a whole lot in science is based on science fact. its all based on scientific theory. such as the big bang theory or the theory of evolution.
basically its the same thing as people believing in a god. until either side can come up with a definite answer i just reserve my judgment.

Science is not based on faith. Science is based on observable evidence and proof. Evolution is accepted by the wide majority of scientists. The bible states the earth is what 2000 years old? Science has proven the earth is a hell of a lot older than that! Its pretty wide stretch to compare religion and science and say there the same. Most science = Proof , Most religion = NO PROOF "faith"

I have to go to work.......end rant.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Edwin- the headline of my thread was taken from the headline of John Maclachlan Gray's article of March 13/02, from the Globe and Mail.
I would never belittle any one's belief in anything! I try to understand, and cannot figure out, how people can kill other people. I find that very frustrating, hence my posting to try and get an insite into what makes so many people hate others.
I do think you are right when you call me an older person!
Blowing oneself up in a residential setting is unforgiveable!
Blowing up American or Canadians , if you see them as an invading army is terrorism if you are western writer, or is freedom fighting if you are from that country.
The news reporting we get here is certainly slanted towards "terrorism", wouldn't you agree?
Is the reporting regarding faith based slanted as well?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Science is based on observable evidence and proof. "

not quite

Science and its proof are based on interpretation of observable evidence.

Anonymous

I would say that there is a lot of faith in science, perhaps too much.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup, one need look no further then the Large Hadron Collider.

They build an 8 Billion dollar piece of equipment to try to find some "Higgs" that they dont know for sure exist, but they obviously have faith that they do.

Anonymous

That's one example. Every dime that was ever asked for was based on faith.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The world is round! gimme money to prove it.

AdamX

AdamX
contributor
contributor

Bartron wrote:

Science is not based on faith. Science is based on observable evidence and proof. Evolution is accepted by the wide majority of scientists. The bible states the earth is what 2000 years old? Science has proven the earth is a hell of a lot older than that! Its pretty wide stretch to compare religion and science and say there the same. Most science = Proof , Most religion = NO PROOF "faith"

lol, the bible says the earth is 2000 years old eh? its the year 2009 right now and there is plenty of biblical history before the birth of jesus, so you are exaggerating a little here Razz

the christian age of the earth is usually around 10,000-20,000 years.

most science regarding the history of the earth and the universe is not based on observable evidence because there is not a whole lot to observe. its largely based on indirect observations and theories about situations that can not be found in nature today or duplicated in a lab, so yes, science, at least in this respect, could arguably be called faith based.

evolution is the slightly dominant theory, key word being theory because like so much else it can not be absolutely proven, has never actually been observed to have happened, and relies on indirect evidence and theories. However, because there are such large holes in the theory, such as not having a single fossil example of one species actually changing into a different species, and evidence that suggests most of the earths bedrock was formed very quickly from a molten state rather than building up over millions of years, its not accurate to say that a 'vast majority' of scientists accept it as fact. There are almost as many who question it as there are who accept it, and not just christian scientists either.

those christian and other dissenting scientists, however, have no real alternative theory other than spontaneous creation, which of course is largely faith based as well. there are some good theories and explanations about how the earth is relatively young, 10,000-20,000 for christians and usually between 60,000 and 100,000 years for non-christian young earth scientists but just like evolution and the big bang theory, it comes down to indirect evidence and non-observable, non-replicateable circumstances.

one side (evolution) is more well known and so is the more accepted version. However neither side can say that they are absolutely right. But its funny how both sides will always try, and no matter what their religion (or non-religion) or scientific leanings, people can never accept that everyone else's beleifs/way of thinknig is just as valid, or 'right' as our own.

(note: i hope its clear that i'm not intending to start an evolution vs creation debate or anything, the above statements are basically a long winded way of saying everyone is entitled to their own beleifs Razz)

http://www.cakefarter.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"note: i hope its clear that i'm not intending to start an evolution vs creation debate or anything, the above statements are basically a long winded way of saying everyone is entitled to their own beleifs Razz)"

And a good one at that

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I believe the religious aspect became de rigueur simply because peeps could not properly explain how humans came to be 2000, 3000, 4000 years ago.

Now that we are more capable of deeper thought we have a viable alternate over religion.

Makes about as much sense as any other explanation out there.

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

grumpy old man wrote:
Now that we are more capable of deeper thought we have a viable alternate over religion.
Scientology? Wink

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

We have to check with deanK if there are any questions regarding deep thought, don't we?
Or was it regarding many thoughts?

Or too many thoughts?

Or thoughtless thoughts?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"We have to check with deanK if there are any questions regarding deep thought, don't we?"

You dont have too.. but it would save you alot of time coming to the correct conclusion.

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

AdamX wrote:
Bartron wrote:

lol, the bible says the earth is 2000 years old eh? its the year 2009 right now and there is plenty of biblical history before the birth of jesus, so you are exaggerating a little here Razz

the christian age of the earth is usually around 10,000-20,000 years.

most science regarding the history of the earth and the universe is not based on observable evidence because there is not a whole lot to observe. its largely based on indirect observations and theories about situations that can not be found in nature today or duplicated in a lab, so yes, science, at least in this respect, could arguably be called faith based.

evolution is the slightly dominant theory, key word being theory because like so much else it can not be absolutely proven, has never actually been observed to have happened, and relies on indirect evidence and theories. However, because there are such large holes in the theory, such as not having a single fossil example of one species actually changing into a different species, and evidence that suggests most of the earths bedrock was formed very quickly from a molten state rather than building up over millions of years, its not accurate to say that a 'vast majority' of scientists accept it as fact. There are almost as many who question it as there are who accept it, and not just christian scientists either.

those christian and other dissenting scientists, however, have no real alternative theory other than spontaneous creation, which of course is largely faith based as well. there are some good theories and explanations about how the earth is relatively young, 10,000-20,000 for christians and usually between 60,000 and 100,000 years for non-christian young earth scientists but just like evolution and the big bang theory, it comes down to indirect evidence and non-observable, non-replicateable circumstances.

one side (evolution) is more well known and so is the more accepted version. However neither side can say that they are absolutely right. But its funny how both sides will always try, and no matter what their religion (or non-religion) or scientific leanings, people can never accept that everyone else's beleifs/way of thinknig is just as valid, or 'right' as our own.

(note: i hope its clear that i'm not intending to start an evolution vs creation debate or anything, the above statements are basically a long winded way of saying everyone is entitled to their own beleifs Razz)

How is there "good theory's" of how the earth is only 10 to 20 thousand years old? When dinosaurs roamed the earth 65 million years ago? The fossils have been carbon dated to be that old or older. Not to mention the massive amount of geographical evidence of the earths age. But forget all that evidence, lets believe in a talking snake, talking bush, walking on water, two of every animal fitting on a giant boat and a loving god whom killed all the first born babies in Egypt .

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

so what you are saying is god Exist... but he is a dinosaur?

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

lol! 🤺

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

God is much bigger than a dinosaur!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

a husband and wife Dinosaur team? ( which might actually explain some of "his" mood swings )

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

He's got the whole world in his hands.... that's how big he is.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

that aint the whole world....

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Do We have a misplacd faith in religious belief? 20071003

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: