the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Immigration

+10
grumpyrom
grumpy old man
AGEsAces
Freeman
rosencrentz
FlyingRat
Goth_chic
Deank
IG Guy
EdWin
14 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Immigration Empty Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:16 am

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Okay, so this winter has made me so sick of winters that I am contemplating a move to a much warmer climate, and the closest places are in the States. I'm thinking Florida or Southern California. I was wondering if anyone knows the the process(es) is/are for applying for a citizenship in another country; what is involved and if it is super expensive.

This is still a longshot, but I don't think it hurts to educate myself of the process.

2Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:34 am

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

I beleive that you can apply for a work visa first and then before it expires apply for Citizenship. But this may have changed post 911. I looked into it for Austrialia. But they are more relaxed then America. lol

3Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:34 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

1) Buy a plane ticket to Mexico.
2) Get some shoes and some water
3) Sneak across the border

4Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:35 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

5Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:48 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I have family in California and I remember that the process was quite daunting. I believe you have to have a skill no other American can fill (or have family who can sponsor you) in order to be considered and I would think it would be even more difficult now. With a recession and after 9/11. Why would you want to move to California? Earthquakes, mud slides, torrential rains oh and California is broke! I have been to California many many times and it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. You think Vancouver has outrageous house prices??? California is crazier!

I do have alot of girlfriends who live in Texas and Arizona and they are all Registered Nurses.

6Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:48 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Are they single?

7Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:52 am

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Strange, all the girls I know who moved to Texas/New Mexico are nurses too.

8Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:56 am

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

FlyingRat wrote:Strange, all the girls I know who moved to Texas/New Mexico are nurses too.

They pay nurses more in the US then in Canada. My friends all became nurses in the early 90's and moved to the states the day after graduation.

9Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:02 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:I have family in California and I remember that the process was quite daunting. I believe you have to have a skill no other American can fill (or have family who can sponsor you) in order to be considered and I would think it would be even more difficult now. With a recession and after 9/11. Why would you want to move to California? Earthquakes, mud slides, torrential rains oh and California is broke! I have been to California many many times and it's a nice place to visit but I wouldn't want to live there. You think Vancouver has outrageous house prices??? California is crazier!

Well, I'm not going to be afraid of earthquakes, hurricanes, terrorists, etc. because I grew up in a place where I could have froze to death in the winter, or swept away by a massive flood or tornado. No matter where you live, Mother Nature will try and get you just as hard. I'm sick of cold winters, and I want to try something different, really different.

I was also checking out house prices in San Diego and Fort Lauderdale, they really aren't that bad and are very comparable to Alberta's prices, which have come down considerably.

My life feels blech right now. I need a drastic change to perk myself up. I love the heat, I crave either a dry or humid heat as I can handle both. Plus, it doesn't hurt to be able to look at skimpy dressed women pretty much everyday of the year cheers

10Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:05 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Have you thought about teaching English overseas? I have many friends who have done that and LOVED it. You get to travel somewhere else and get paid to be there.

11Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:05 pm

Anonymous

Ya. And narry a thank you for the free cheapie Canadian education eh. Commie bitches.

12Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:08 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:Have you thought about teaching English overseas? I have many friends who have done that and LOVED it. You get to travel somewhere else and get paid to be there.

Well, I'd prefer to stay in my current profession, and there are some opportunities available down south.

13Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:12 pm

Anonymous

Depending on where you go, you may wish to make sure you are not adverse to spiders, snakes, gators and a variety of creepy-crawlers. Just saying...you substitute one thing for another.

14Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:13 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Goth_chic wrote:
FlyingRat wrote:Strange, all the girls I know who moved to Texas/New Mexico are nurses too.

They pay nurses more in the US then in Canada. My friends all became nurses in the early 90's and moved to the states the day after graduation.
okay I get it already.. rich nurses about my age living in a warmer client.....now answer my question... are they single? pirat

15Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:13 pm

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

ahhh yea, those commie bitches. I had a friend that went to teach english aswell in the middle east right after 911 and when he got off the plane there they gave him a 9mm and literally said good luck. He crapped a brick. Did 6 months, came home and never looked back.

16Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:17 pm

Anonymous

I understand that a lot of pedophiles go to Southeast Asia to get kids under the guise of teaching.

17Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 pm

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

JTF wrote:I understand that a lot of pedophiles go to Southeast Asia to get kids under the guise of teaching.

i remember a big case were the guy took pix and feds unswirled his face and cought him.. lol

18Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:30 pm

Anonymous

It was during that time that several stories were being reported about these pedophile commie bastards.

19Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:34 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:Depending on where you go, you may wish to make sure you are not adverse to spiders, snakes, gators and a variety of creepy-crawlers. Just saying...you substitute one thing for another.

Meh, we have dock spiders the size of a persons fist, and wolf spiders that are hairier than my uncle. I can handle it. besides, I'm a nature geek, remember?

20Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:40 pm

Anonymous

Ever been chased by an alligator? ....and those snakes!!!!Oy vey.

21Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:44 pm

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

JTF wrote:Ever been chased by an alligator? ....and those snakes!!!!Oy vey.

This one time in Florida. I was on the toilet taking... actually you know what?? nevermind. lol! hahahaha sorry. I had too!

22Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:47 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

well I know nothing about aligators... but my wife sure has her problem with a big snake!

23Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:48 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Gee JTF, good thing YOUR not considering a move down there Wink

If I can handle the scumbags found in downtown Winnipeg, I can handle anything Very Happy

24Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:51 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

its not the big things that would drive me away from there..
its the termites and roaches ....man i get the hebejebes just thinking about it

25Immigration Empty Re: Immigration Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:59 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:its not the big things that would drive me away from there..
its the termites and roaches ....man i get the hebejebes just thinking about it

Meh, so a little cockroach crawls on your face and in your mouth while you are sleeping once in a while, spiders do the same thing up in Canada. Besides, a little extra protein will do your body good!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum