the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline

+5
FlyingRat
Deank
Freeman
grumpyrom
grumpy old man
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:04 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Globe and Mail

The global recession is cutting through British Columbia and Alberta with such alarming force and speed that the two provinces are bracing for an economic downturn as powerful as the rise that until recently defined a new West.

Fresh economic data on housing starts and personal bankruptcies show B.C. and Alberta - once holdouts to the U.S. and Central Canadian slumps - leading the country in decline.

In Alberta, personal bankruptcies soared by 27 per cent year-over-year in the 12-month period ended December, 2008, the Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy Canada said yesterday. That was nearly double the 14-per-cent increase for the entire country.In December alone, personal bankruptcies in Alberta rose 106 per cent from the year before. They were up 51 per cent nationwide.
Read entire story here.

Ummm, Sputnik. How's life in utopia now? Ahh, I'm sure it is just a small blip eh?

2Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:26 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

"They were up 51 per cent nationwide."

Still feel that overall the picture is as rosey as you paint it to be?

Last edited by grumpyrom on Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : My first post made no sense...no coffee yet, and no sleep.)

3Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:50 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Pardon?

5Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:12 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Who is painting rosy pictures? Is this you being a good Christian and behaving like you want to be treated? Take a pill sport...

6Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:18 am

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

Haha, when did I claim I was a good Christian...lol? I don't even go to church. However I do try to live by the gloden rule, don't hurt others and treat them the way you'd like to be treated. I don't mind a verbal jab, therefore I don't mind dishing one out.

I was generalizing based on some of your past posts that basically give the impresion that you are of the "everything is fine" mentality. If I mistook your economic outlook I appoligize, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just pointing out that most of the news, and statistics point to a very different story for a large percentage of Canadians.

Also, please stop following me to all my sporting events...it's starting to get a bit stalkerish.

7Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:49 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

My position on such things is not that all is rosie rather I take the glass half full approach. I do get annoyed when peeps forecast all doom and gloom all the time.

It might make me seem a little too optimistic but I'd much rather take that approach then the alternate.

8Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:24 pm

Anonymous

Personally, I work hard on trying to be realistic...the rest is speculative at most.

9Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:28 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If folks had taken a more cautious, optimistic approach, the markets may not have fallen as much as they did. The advice that most managers were giving was to stay the course, but when the selling starts, it creates a wave. I haven't touched mine and haven't bothered to really look (it would make me through up anyway) and know that it will recover over the next 18 to 24 months. I have no immediate plans for my investments.

10Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:34 pm

Anonymous

Carney said he was sticking with his original forecast, of a 1.2% contraction this year but followed by a robust 3.8% gain in 2010.
http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=1273258

I think we'll be okay.

11Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:44 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Most people I have talked to believe his prediction is realistic. Mind you, many of them work for Environment Canada.

12Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:45 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

you guys are listening to financial advice from a carney?

13Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:54 pm

Anonymous

Heh heh ...stop it yuz guys....

14Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:11 pm

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Deank wrote:you guys are listening to financial advice from a carney?
at least the advice is consistent: keep your arms and legs in and hold on for the ride!

15Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Anonymous

grumpyrom wrote:

Also, please stop following me to all my sporting events...it's starting to get a bit stalkerish.

LMAO...
Funniest thing I've heard all week.

16Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:24 pm

Anonymous

Yes someone told me that the oil companies stopped paying the 2grand housing allowance that was there , and most have lost there homes . Also house price have dropped .

17Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:56 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

How does the reported fact that there are more jobs being created in Alberta than in any other province, jive with the report that Alberta is closed?
Does it mean that many people have simply left and are not looking for jobs?
This reporting and the statistics are so hard to figure out!
Has anyone found out how Statistice Canada reported on the job losses/gains as of the end of January, by Feb 6th?

http://www.elansofas.com

18Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:06 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"How does the reported fact that there are more jobs being created in Alberta than in any other province, "

where did you see this report?

19Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:07 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

There were 3,300 jobs created in January in Alberta... Reported in January employment report.Same report that suggested Manitoba lost 1900.

20Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:13 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"There were 3,300 jobs created in January in Alberta"

oh those jobs.. yeah well those are just the jobs created to deal with the people going bankrupt and having their houses taken back

21Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:12 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Good DeanK , your name is back in the colours! thanks!

http://www.elansofas.com

22Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:03 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:There were 3,300 jobs created in January in Alberta... Reported in January employment report.Same report that suggested Manitoba lost 1900.

Actually Alberta lost jobs in January. I think it was less than 5,000 though. What you are referring to is the comparison between the # of jobs in January 2008 and the # of jobs in 2009. Only Alberta and Saskatchewan are fairing better than one year ago in that category.

23Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty March Employment Figures Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:58 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

• Recession eats 83,000 more jobs in February

• Statistics Canada reported Friday the country's unemployment rate is up to 7.7 per cent, the highest level in five years.

• Toronto leads Canada's major cities in joblessness and unemployment rate hits 9 per cent in February... Yikes!

• Alberta loses 24,000 jobs in February... Double Yikes!

• Manitoba gained 700 jobs in February... Yippee! However our unemployment rate also increased.
    It's speculated that is due to workers moving into the province at a greater rate. With Alberta and Ontario shedding so many jobs peeps are moving to where the jobs are. Right now that is Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
    Provincial statistician Wilf Falk pointed out that in these last four months Manitoba has actually created 1,000 new jobs. Saskatchewan is the only other province to have increased employment over that time.

Here is a snapshot of Canada's unemployment rate for the last 30~ years.
Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline 7f100ea4444d8c7254b10b735fae

24Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:30 am

Anonymous

Gotta love the boom bust of Alberta boy it is along trip from there to Newfoundland by Uhaul see alot of them on the road east .

25Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Empty Re: Alberta/BC hit hardest by decline Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:52 am

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Gotta love it? What a smug attitude! I really hope you're not taking pleasure in the misfortune of others.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum