the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Why did the American lib-left jump on the Trayvon Martin bandwagon?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Hollywood

Hollywood
contributor
contributor

I kept hearing and reading about "Trayvon Martin" and wondered "who?" So I looked it up and wondered why this story had so much traction. After all, it is an unfortunate truth that altercations leading to murder are far too common.

So I read about it. There were evidently no witnesses and the survivor's story was consistent with the factual evidence the police could find. Therefore there were no charges.

This ticked off the usual gang of black American racists. Oddly, the dead man suddenly had a lawyer. And charges were authorized.

Now more facts are coming out. I found a succinct story here.

It was a fable for our times:

Once upon a time, a nice young man set off from his dad's fiancée's home before the NBA All-Star game to buy some Skittles and Arizona Tea for his stepbrother. Although the lad was seventeen, he looked like a cute twelve-year-old. Along came a burly ex-con racist vigilante who didn't like the idea of a young African-American male walking around his gated community at night. The cop-wannabe stalked the frightened boy, cornered him, and then shot him. But the racist police didn't arrest the murderer. The conscience of the nation was stirred. Protests erupted from coast to coast. The gunning down of young, unarmed black males by white Rambos -- and the occasional "white Hispanic" -- is an all-too-common occurrence in the US of A.

Now the MSM narrative is unraveling, thanks to Al Gore's nifty invention, the internet. ...

We've learned a little more about Trayvon Martin. Since his record of suspensions and his posts and pictures, with tats and grill, from his Myspace and Twitter accounts surfaced on the web, columnists are less likely to enthuse about him, as a WaPo blogger did on March 18. ...
"So what?" the left responds. The fact that he "experimented" with marijuana at a school with zero tolerance -- and maybe experimented with burglary -- and was intrigued by gangsta argot and gangsta values -- has no bearing on the events of February 26. But of course it does. We are being asked to chose between two stories:

1. that the teen was intercepted by Zimmerman, asked "why are you following me?," and was pushed; or

that he came back for Zimmerman; asked, "Do you have a f-ing problem?"; and, when told no, said, "You do now," and leveled Zimmerman.

As for the killing itself, those who are curious know that the only eyewitness who called 911 reported that Martin was on top of Zimmerman, pummeling him. Zimmerman was crying out for help. The witness ran upstairs, heard a shot, and saw the guy who was on top dead on the ground. Zimmerman himself reported that the teenager suddenly confronted him and, after a brief exchange, decked him with one punch.

Martin got on top of Zimmerman and began slamming his head against the concrete. The physical evidence corroborated the stories of the neighborhood watch captain and of "John": Zimmerman's back was wet and had grass stains, and he had a broken nose and lacerations on the back of his head. "I was yelling for help and no one came," he told police.

Just as Martin did not go straight home after he first spotted the neighborhood watch captain, so, too, he apparently did not go directly to Brandy Green's apartment from the 7-Eleven. What exactly he was doing between the time he entered the gated community and the moment Zimmerman noticed him will probably never be known. Though there may be some plausible explanation for his behavior, the idea that he was simply returning from a selfless errand when he caught Zimmerman's eye seems less and less likely.

The author also has links to various maps etc.

So will Obama and the race-baiters cover Zimmerman's legal bills?

I also found a LINK which has Martin's tweets. He was a tool, IMO.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

zimmerman is still to blame

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

No one has yet to report the truth!

http://www.elansofas.com

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

So tired of the race card being pulled out every time sh1t like this happens. I'm not defending this Zimmerman guy, but I don't believe he shot the kid because he was black. Given the circumstances I wouldn't put it past this guy to have shot anyone that he found suspicious.

And if Zimmerman was attacked by this kid, then unfortunately the law backs Zimmerman 100%.

It

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Is stalking someone (as Zimmerman was doing) not a form of attack?

Are we not free to defend ourselves from attack?

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

There is stalking and then there is assaulting. If Zimmerman threw the "First Punch" then he is completely in the wrong and the Charges should apply. However given the circumstances, and the previous history of issues with break ins in that particular area without knowing exactly how the confrontation went down, I believe that Zimmerman was at least in his mind doing what he felt was necessary. If you found someone wandering around a building complex at night that you didn't recognize you'd be suspicious too.

Are we not free to ask people why they are trespassing on private property? A simple question that probably got a response of "Mind your f*cking Business" or some other smart a$$ comment.

As much as everyone has Zimmerman down as this racist murderer, I don't think its quite that complex. Nor do I think that Trayvon was in the right either. Of course his parents and the media are going to paint a picture of this young kid who never got in trouble, and was the perfect kid. Meanwhile there is evidence that is quite contrary and people only see the race card and don't want to look at anything else.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

" I believe that Zimmerman was at least in his mind doing what he felt was necessary"

The cops (911) told him to back off. He did not, why? Because he knew he was carrying a gun to "protect" himself.

"Are we not free to ask people why they are trespassing on private property?"

If its your property. Yes. If its someone elses's you should alert them.. or call the cops. My neighbour has people in his yard all the time that I dont know. Should I sit there and stare at them?

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

He is the block captain of his gated community. The whole area would be considered part of his property.

If you thought that the people in your neighbors yard were up to no good you'd certainly consider doing something. If I saw someone wandering around in my neighbors yard I would certainly ask that person what they were doing. Especially if my neighbor wasn't home.

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

Again I didn't say what Zimmerman did was right, all I'm saying is;

A) Zimmerman felt he should defend his property and his neighbors property knowing that there has been a rash of break ins in the area.

B) I think that the fact that Trayvon was black has nothing to do with it.

C) The end outcome has yet to be decided. It was a tragic end to something that probably could have been avoided, however no one is going to know exactly what happened. Because there were no Witnesses. Trayvon could have attacked Zimmerman, we don't know. All I do know is everyone is making assumptions based on very limited information and throwing in a bunch of BS to muddy the investigation. If it had been a white kid shot by this guy do you think that there would be such an uproar?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

A) But he had no such right.
B) I really have no idea..I think it was just profiling a youngster.. not necessarily blackness
C) It would have been worse

11Why did the American lib-left jump on the Trayvon Martin bandwagon? Empty Some links: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:01 pm

Hollywood

Hollywood
contributor
contributor

Bare-bones facts, times, and a map:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/2866450/posts

More maps and phone calls:
http://www.wagist.com/2012/dan-linehan/evidence-that-trayvon-martin-doubled-back

There was an eyewitness interviewed by police. What the witness said was in this quote LINK:

"The guy on the bottom who had a red sweater on was yelling to me: 'help, help…and I told him to stop and I was calling 911," he said.

Trayvon Martin was in a hoodie; Zimmerman was in red.

The witness only wanted to be identified as "John," and didn't not want to be shown on camera.

His statements to police were instrumental, because police backed up Zimmerman's claims, saying those screams on the 911 call are those of Zimmerman.

"When I got upstairs and looked down, the guy who was on top beating up the other guy, was the one laying in the grass, and I believe he was dead at that point," John said.

Zimmerman says the shooting was self defense. According to information released on the Sanford city website, Zimmerman said he was going back to his SUV when he was attacked by the teen.

Sanford police say Zimmerman was bloody in his face and head, and the back of his shirt was wet and had grass stains, indicating a struggle took place before the shooting.

And THIS:
"I saw two men on the ground, one on top of the other. I felt they were scuffling and I heard gunshots which to me were more like pops," he said in an interview broadcast on CNN's Anderson Cooper 360, his voice disguised to protect his identity.

"I don't know if was an echo but it definitely made more than one pop.
"After the larger man got off there was a boy, obviously now dead, on the ground facing down.

"It was dark. I can't say I watched him get up, but in a couple of seconds or so he was walking towards where I was watching and I could see him a little bit clearer. It was a Hispanic man. He didn't appear hurt or anything else. He just kind of seemed very worried with his hand up to his forehead."

The man said that before opening his window and looking out, he had heard angry voices outside. "There was a loud, predominant voice. I couldn't hear the words but this is not a regular conversation," he said. "This is someone aggressively yelling at someone."

He said there was a lull but the argument resumed and that was when he decided to see what was going on.

"I'm thinking something horrible is happening. I heard the yell for help and another excruciating kind of a yell, it didn't even sound like a yell, it sounded so painful," he said.

The allegation of a "contradiction" in the latter story came from a Martin attorney:

But Daryl Parks, attorney for Trayvon's parents Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin, said the story "answers a lot of questions".

He said: "It is very clear this witness saw what happened and clearly indicated the person that he saw that did the shooting. The other part that really strikes out for me is that he seems to have not seen the apparent injuries from this altercation that Mr Zimmerman claims that he suffered.

The witness did not deny Zimmerman's statement re: his own injuries. Of note, the police did see and verify those injuries.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

who cares? dont stalk people, dont kill people

Hollywood

Hollywood
contributor
contributor

Deank wrote:who cares? dont stalk people, dont kill people
There's no evidence of "stalking". Martin assaulted Zimmerman and was then shot.

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

Hollywood wrote:
There's no evidence of "stalking". Martin assaulted Zimmerman and was then shot.

You are kidding?? He followed the kid, called 911 was told to not follow him he still did and now the kid is dead.

Hollywood

Hollywood
contributor
contributor

USApegger wrote:
Hollywood wrote:

You are kidding?? He followed the kid, called 911 was told to not follow him he still did and now the kid is dead.
This is the spin applied by the Martin attorneys but it is not supported by the facts cited throughout the links in this thread. Here is the synopsis:

George Zimmerman leaves his truck at 2:14 and reaches Retreat View Circle just over thirty seconds later at 2:45.

He agrees to stop pursuit at the dispatcher’s request. After the 911
call is complete, Zimmerman begins to head back to his truck to meet the
police. At this point, he claims he was confronted by Trayvon, and
walks a few steps down the sidewalk south to respond to him.

As we can see, it appears unlikely that Zimmerman ever “chased down”
Martin. Zimmerman only pursued long enough to maintain visual contact
to see what direction Trayvon was going.

Zimmerman traveled his entire route in around 30 seconds, he only
went a very short distance and did so specifically to tell the 911
dispatcher where Trayvon had gone.

It wasn’t until several minutes later that their altercation took
place, when Martin apparently doubled back to confront Zimmerman.

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

Careful when presenting facts people tend to disregard them. It will all come out in court, and if the eye witness proves to be correct then Zimmerman will walk away. I wouldn't want to be down there when it happens. People down there only see that a poor black kid was shot by a white(ish) man.

Having said that though, this "Stand your Ground" law is pretty loosey goosey...

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

Hollywood wrote:
USApegger wrote:
Hollywood wrote:

This is the spin applied by the Martin attorneys but it is not supported by the facts cited throughout the links in this thread. Here is the synopsis:

George Zimmerman leaves his truck at 2:14 and reaches Retreat View Circle just over thirty seconds later at 2:45.

He agrees to stop pursuit at the dispatcher’s request. After the 911
call is complete, Zimmerman begins to head back to his truck to meet the
police. At this point, he claims he was confronted by Trayvon, and
walks a few steps down the sidewalk south to respond to him.

As we can see, it appears unlikely that Zimmerman ever “chased down”
Martin. Zimmerman only pursued long enough to maintain visual contact
to see what direction Trayvon was going.

Zimmerman traveled his entire route in around 30 seconds, he only
went a very short distance and did so specifically to tell the 911
dispatcher where Trayvon had gone.

It wasn’t until several minutes later that their altercation took
place, when Martin apparently doubled back to confront Zimmerman.

So who provided the synopsis?

Hollywood

Hollywood
contributor
contributor

USApegger wrote:...

So who provided the synopsis?

I have all the links in prior posts.

There is surprisingly little deviation in the evidence except to the extent that media sources influenced by the Martin attorneys have left out certain facts (e.g. that the one eyewitness saw Martin on top of Zimmerman) or given them an odd spin (e.g. that the eyewitness did not notice injury to Zimmerman is used held up as a "contradiction" of Zimmerman's story, even though he saw Martin on top of Zimmerman).

There are NUMEROUS sources out there that have concise time-lines of the cell phone calls, and in some cases also have the audio. Many have maps.

Once I saw that stuff I concluded that lazy media ran with a sensational story.

Hollywood

Hollywood
contributor
contributor

I admit that I am impressed with the thorough page on this at Wikipedia. They verify the time-line and have links to EVERYTHING.

Timeline of events

February 26, 2012
7:09 pm – Zimmerman's call to Sanford police begins[83]
7:12 pm – Trayvon's girlfriend calls him[206]
7:13 pm – Zimmerman's call to Sanford police ends[206]
7:16 pm – Trayvon call to girlfriend goes dead;[206] 9-1-1 calls from the neighors begin
7:17 pm – First officer arrives on scene[12]
7:30 pm – Martin pronounced dead at the scene by paramedic[12]
7:52 pm – Zimmerman arrival at police station recorded on video
Roughly 10:00 pm – Zimmerman released (duration described as "about two hours")

There has been increasing scrutiny over what the media have done. I like this summary:

Facts about Trayvon Martin:

Trayvon Martin was not the baby-faced 11 year old we are seeing in pictures. He was a 6′ 3″ 17 year old football player.
Trayvon Martin was just given a ten day suspension from his high school for possession of marijuana and a pipe the week of the shooting.
This was Trayvon Martin’s third suspension, with others for skipping school and graffiti in the months leading up to the shooting.
Trayvon Martin was apprehended at school with 12 pieces of women’s jewelry and a flathead screwdriver (often used to break locks). Martin had no explanation for the jewelry and said “a friend gave it to him”. He was not suspended for this violation.
Martin’s Twitter handle (name) is @NO_LIMIT_NIGGA. Some examples of his “average teenager” tweets:
“f*** a b****. any b****. who you want? take yo pick but you gone take yo time.”
“I’ll slap a girl if she said suck my toes wtf, she must be giving some great dome for some sh** like that”
From Trayvon’s cousin: “‘Yu ain’t tell me yu swung on a bus driver

Also at issue is the mis-use of old photos of Martin and Zimmerman. One such story is in The San Francisco Chronicle. Let us compare:

Why did the American lib-left jump on the Trayvon Martin bandwagon? Trayvon-young-200Why did the American lib-left jump on the Trayvon Martin bandwagon? Zimmerman-old-200

Or:
Why did the American lib-left jump on the Trayvon Martin bandwagon? Trayvon-gold-200Why did the American lib-left jump on the Trayvon Martin bandwagon? Zimmermannew-200

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum