the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

First Nations file flood lawsuit against Manitoba

+7
EdWin
Goth_chic
rosencrentz
Winklovic
Deank
grumpy old man
Stonekiller
11 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/04/05/mb-first-nations-flood-lawsuit-manitoba.html

$950,000,000 in damages... Why not sue for a Billion dollars?

These people have a right to be compensated for their losses, and without having the province drag their feet. But lets be realistic, there are maybe 4000 People in total on these reserves, that would equate to $237,500 for each person.

I'm bet the lawyers are salivating already.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The province should not be on the hook for this. Reserves and indian issues are a federal issue.

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

Either way a Billion Dollars is ridiculous. I've heard of "Aim High" but this is ridiculous.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"“And once they evacuated the people from the reserve they should have provided better accommodation and care.""

Better then a hotel with all food paid for?

Whats better then that? say... a freakin house which you guys are refusing?

Maybe you would like instead to go live in a Gym or arena with the non aboriginal evacuees?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

See. This is why more and more Canadians are becoming tired, and agitated, over the incessant ridiculous demands.

Turn off the cash spigot once and for all. The consequences could not be any more dire than what Canada now enjoys...

Winklovic

Winklovic
contributor
contributor

grumpy old man wrote:See. This is why more and more Canadians are becoming tired, and agitated, over the incessant ridiculous demands.

+1,000

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Send them to New Orleans, where they know how to care for the poor?

http://www.elansofas.com

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I think we should send them all to Rosens house. He can feed, and care for them plus give them jobs that at least pay 50-60k a year to start.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:The province should not be on the hook for this. Reserves and indian issues are a federal issue.

Bingo. Indians are a federal issue, so they should be crying to the Feds, not the Province.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What crap!! Is this the best that the leadership can come up with? Nothing creative to address employment issues? How about fixing child and family services system? Improve housing? Real job training? No, just some lame a$$ thing to sue the government. gimme, gimme, gimme

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

EdWin wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:The province should not be on the hook for this. Reserves and indian issues are a federal issue.

Bingo. Indians are a federal issue, so they should be crying to the Feds, not the Province.

Wrong...they are a First Nations issue...plain and simple.

These "Nations" want to be self-regulating, self-sustaining, self...whatever...and yet they can't even take care of their own people? They expect someone else to bail them out?

How about they stop wrecking the homes that the Canadian Nation government has built for them?
How about they stop siphoning off the money the Canadian Nation government has GIVEN them and blowing it on crappy cars and trips to other nations?

http://www.photage.ca

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

New article on CBC.ca http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2012/05/01/mb-first-nation-flood-claims.html

I read this and was very split on this whole situation. Part of me agrees that the Province and the Feds have dragged their feet here. The whole situation is a giant tax dollar sink hole. People living in hotels for almost a year now and no end in sight? That is ridiculous, if contractors can build several homes a week here in the city, it can be done on the reserve, or wherever.

The other part of me wants to tell these chiefs that if you don't want the government to scrutinize your books, and expenditures. Then don't allow fraud to occur. These people willingly took advantage of the system and the leadership of these people allowed it to happen. There is ZERO accountability, when it comes to government money which is partially my money and every other tax payer in this province and country.

I am pretty angry to see this money being so casually tossed around when it could have been spent building new homes for these people. Though to be honest giving the natives new homes bothers me especially when at the end of the day half of them will be trashed within the year. It comes down to respect, a lot of Canadians don't respect the Natives of this country because all they see is a hand out asking for more money from a society that already pays a lot in taxes. The Natives of this country don't respect the tax payers by abusing the system repeatedly and then pointing their fingers at Ottawa for letting it happen. It really is a vicious circle of distrust, and lack of respect. I respect anyone that works for what they want in life, but I have little pity for those that consistently have their hand out looking for their next welfare check. This goes for anyone and not just native people. If that is racist then so be it, but I'm not holding anyone back, and I am tired of the native population laying a guilt trip on the people of this country because they can't get their affairs in order.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"That is ridiculous, if contractors can build several homes a week here in the city, it can be done on the reserve, or wherever."
Except.... the chief "bid" on the job and was turned down because of the bid being out of line with reality and now the chief is refusing to use the houses that were built.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

At some point these people just have to step up and help themselves. In most cases unemployment rates on reserves is absurdly high. Why not put those resources to work moving the reserve to higher ground; building permanent dykes; fixing the damaged homes.

Instead most fester in Winnipeg hotels while Nero (the chiefs) fiddles around holding press conferences pointing fingers at everyone else and watching as their people steal the rest of us blind.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I loved that press conference yesterday. They actually started verbally "attacking" the press for asking questions then they were told.. YOU DONT COME TO OUR HOUSE AND ASK QUESTION AND ACCUSE US!!!!

and they all got booted out. Yup.. invite people... then tell them dont you dare come here and throw them out. I wonder just how many newsies will show up for the next press conference? And of course then they will be called racist for not showing up.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The chiefs are getting pilloried in the free press by the commenter's. That press conference back-fired and showed the chiefs for who they really are.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

The press conference could have been good. IF the chiefs had said. We will be working with the government to come to a good resolution. However, we are seeking understanding as we go forward that many of the people who may have taken advantage of the situation will not be able to repay a portion of what was taken. This is a difficult time for many families and people not involved in this and please do not use this to paint all evacuees with a tainted brush.

Hollywood

Hollywood
contributor
contributor

If I were in government I would have a province-wide referendum on whether to end all aboriginal-specific programs in Manitoba.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

In my opinion there should be ZERO race specific programs financed by the province or city. Aim the programs at people who require them based on other factors not just who their parents were.

Cant speak English properly? okay.. here is a program.. NOT just because you are an immigrant, but because you need the help.

Having trouble finding a job? Okay here is a program, not just because you are Native but because you need help.

The Feds? Yeah they should be providing some race specific programs, because its part of their mandate.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Just a thought, but its impossible to sue anyone living on a reserve or the band itself, as they don't own land, but how is it possible for one "nation" to sue a government using the court system of the nation that they are suing?

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If they don't own the land or their homes, what are they suing about? Cann't be their belongings!

How did they ever get that crappy low lying land There was an article that the white man se them up! Could that be true?

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Goth_chic- maybe the forum should invite them over to our summer barbeque? lol DeanK may entertain with his 12 bags of toys?

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Maybe the People of Canada should sue the First Nations Chiefs for gross miss-management of their bands and of the money they receive from the generous, but over taxed, citizens of Canada.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

LivingDead wrote:Maybe the People of Canada should sue the First Nations Chiefs for gross miss-management of their bands and of the money they receive from the generous, but over taxed, citizens of Canada.

They can't do that.
The People of Canada have no jurisdiction in the First Nations' courts Wink.

http://www.photage.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum