the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

anyone else eating pancakes today before Lent starts?

+3
sputnik
grumpy old man
Deank
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I watched it 7 times and I don't get it. I'll watch it a few more times...

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

I don't understand why anyone would pick a religion that tells you what you can and cannot eat.

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

It's more about the sacrifices we make, not so much about "being told what one can or can't eat".

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

sputnik wrote:I don't understand why anyone would pick a religion that tells you what you can and cannot eat.

so uhh.. what religons dont try to control your diet in some way?

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:
sputnik wrote:I don't understand why anyone would pick a religion that tells you what you can and cannot eat.

If one was to follow Christianity by what is scriptural and by words of Christ and not the pope, or the clergy or any other religious dogmas you could say that Christianity allows you the freedom to eat and drink as you please to the glory of God.

Unfortunately religion often gets in the way of Christianity.

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

sputnik wrote:Unfortunately religion often gets in the way of Christianity.

For once, I agree.

As my RCIA instructor told us recently, "As a Catholic, you are really only required to believe two things: Jesus is the Son of God, and the Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Christ. The rest falls to your own moral conscience. Free will, y'know."

I'm sure the more orthodox would disagree.

Back on topic however, I could go for some pancakes right about now.

Last edited by SMW on Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Absolutely! I thought waffles was a Jewish invention??

http://www.elansofas.com

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

SMW wrote:
sputnik wrote:Unfortunately religion often gets in the way of Christianity.

For once, I agree.

As my RCIA instructor told us recently, "As a Catholic, you are really only required to believe two things: Jesus is the Son of God, and the Eucharist is the Body and Blood of Christ. The rest falls to your own moral conscience. Free will, y'know."

I'm sure the more orthodox would disagree.

Back on topic however, I could go for some pancakes right about now.

Here is a pastor in Seattle who covers this topic quite well and its pretty funny to boot.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

sputnik wrote:
Deank wrote:

If one was to follow Christianity by what is scriptural and by words of Christ and not the pope, or the clergy or any other religious dogmas you could say that Christianity allows you the freedom to eat and drink as you please to the glory of God.

Unfortunately religion often gets in the way of Christianity.

Near as I can tell, Jesus followed Jewish dietary law. True or not?

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

Triniman wrote:Near as I can tell, Jesus followed Jewish dietary law. True or not?

He was born into a Jewish family and raised as a Jew. Yes. Also until his death and subsequent resurrection the law of Moses was still in effect for believers of God. So Jesus followed it. However this is different from the religious of that time that liked to add countless rules and regulations above and beyond that (similar to the many non-biblical dogmas enforced by many religions today).

Christians believe (based on Christ's teachings in the Gospels) that he came to die and rise again as the Messiah to fulfill the Jewish law and essentially make it invalid to those that believe in him (Jews and non Jews alike).

Jewish people today are the ones that do not believe in Jesus and are still waiting for their messiah to come. As a result they still follow some of the Jewish customs (some more strictly than others) that were in the first few books of the Bible.

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

I grew up in an evangelical, charismatic Roman Catholic church. (Yes, they exist) As an end result, I'm not into religion but identify as Christian, and am apt to agree w/ Sputnik's point that religion is bondage and that faith/grace is an entirely different entity. Old Testament people had to get to God through works and atonement. Jesus made that irrelevant. Unfortunately, religion loves to co-mingle that, and we have schizoid doctrine all over the place. Abstaining at Lent should be something you want to do, for self improvement/growing in your faith, as any other fasting practice, not done just because the Church says you have to.

SMW - I'm surprised RCIA said there were only two things, as orthodoxy is established through a) belief in the trinity b) belief in the death and subsequent resurrection of Christ c) salvation attainment is only via Christ. Transubstantiation, while major tenant of the Catholic church, isn't fundamental. Catholicism still falls under these three primary beliefs, which is why, to the consternation of many a frothing protestant, it's still a Christian denomination, and Mormonism/Jehovah's Witnesses don't qualify.

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Myself, as a very wise, very old man, believe that all books on religion were written by men and women , in many cases to make life miserable for others, who are possibly very weak of mind, and need to believe that there are only 127 Gods, give or take , in the world.

Religion and Kings for Life are the cause of so many people being killed all over the world.

"If you aren't of my religion, I will eradicate your sect!"

Those instructions must be in most religious books, because that is what happens on a daily basis!

That is so depressing! Burn my Bible by mistake and I will shoot several of you in the head!

"God is Great!

Some people who are religious are killers.

I cannot figure that one out?

I have asked for help, but there is no God!

http://www.elansofas.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum