the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is it any wonder why Canadians grow weary of this "stuff"?

+2
casualchris
grumpy old man
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Nelson goes Iran or bust-up after referendum postponed

WINNIPEG SUN

Former Roseau River chief Terry Nelson is asking Iran for help with the governance issues on his and other First Nations.

A referendum on how Roseau River chooses its leaders was postponed Thursday. Aboriginal Affairs said it needed more time to work with the community, which has been plagued by issues at the ballot box.

When the news came down Thursday, Nelson decided to lead a caravan of cars to the Iranian embassy in Ottawa in about two weeks. He plans to thank Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad for his condemnation of Canada's treatment of aboriginal people, and ask him for help in bringing attention to the issue of missing and murdered women.

"I am not going to spend my time trying to get the immigrant governments to hear our plight, it is time to ask other nations to investigate and support us directly," he wrote.

"Ottawa police and RCMP are just going to have beat women, children and men to keep us from attending to the embassies."

The reserve's custom council, a formal governing body, ousted the five-term, controversial chief on Sept. 20. The council called another election, in which Ken Henry was elected Oct. 14. The reserve has customarily run elections by the council code, not the Indian Act.

The referendum would ask about 1,400 eligible Roseau River voters how they want their elections called: by the custom council, or by the Indian Act.

"I don't want violence to be the only option left for my community, they should have had a simple referendum to allow the people to decide but now what options do the people have?" Nelson asked.

On Feb. 1, a federal judge ruled Henry's election was legitimate, which raised speculation that the referendum might be moot. Aboriginal Affairs is waiting for a final court decision as well as feedback from the community before proceeding.

"A Third Party Manager is currently in place and will ensure that this ongoing governance dispute does not interfere in the delivery of essential programs and services to the community’s residents," an Aboriginal Affairs spokesperson said in an e-mail.

Nelson's also challenging the election in court, though a date has not yet been set.

"The Americans are going to kill me for this, in the media and otherwise but this issue will not be ignored. If Harper thinks that Attawapiskat was bad, he has not yet seen me in action," Nelson said in the release.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Is this guy a complete loon? Good lord. And his people keep electing him...

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

Honestly I was sort of impressed with this approach.

I don't deny there were injustices way back when and we need to acknowledge them, but what drives me batshit crazy is when the government is handing over money after money after money, this article asks for no money.

---From the article---

"I am not going to spend my time trying to get the immigrant
governments to hear our plight, it is time to ask other nations to
investigate and support us directly," he wrote.

"I don't want violence to be the only option left for my
community, they should have had a simple referendum to allow the people
to decide but now what options do the people have?" Nelson asked.

---

To the first statement I think the response will be "the problem is world wide, too bad, theres no peace keepers coming to kick white folks out of Canada"

To the second statement, why shouldn't the people be allowed to decide how to elect their leaders? If you or I don't like who they choose to lead them, that is not for us to decide.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The funny thing is the process that so irks nelson is THEIR OWN PROCESS. One they continually fight for.

FN demand self-determination; the right to follow their ways. The election process that causes nelson his angst, the custom council, is their way.

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

The irony here is that Terry Nelson has been accused by his own people of significant financial fraud, and theft.

This whole Iranian thing is merely a diversion from the real issues on that reserve, and Terry Nelson being one of the largest of those problems.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

So...who is paying for the road trip?

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

If they want a democratic vote to form council, or use the "traditional way" let them have a simple vote what system they want to use. Nelson is saying let the people decide which way they want to form their leadership, whats wrong with that? If hes as corrupt and nuisance as people report, he wouldn't win an election anyway. What am I missing?

I'd gladly give them liberty over money.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

" If hes as corrupt and nuisance as people report, he wouldn't win an election anyway"

some people say that he pays other people to run against him to dilute the voting pool and "guarantee" him wins year after year

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:The funny thing is the process that so irks nelson is THEIR OWN PROCESS. One they continually fight for.

FN demand self-determination; the right to follow their ways. The election process that causes nelson his angst, the custom council, is their way.

So if the population wants to stick with the traditional ways, they'd vote that way and this whole thing is moot. If they vote another way, then use that way. Why should we be telling them how to do it and NOT ALLOWING it to change. Not allowing it to be revisited would be the interference. If they want a change in their ways, why cant they change their ways? Isn't that what many outsiders are telling them? If he is as corrupt and a nuisance as people claim, he wouldn't win an election anyway.

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:" If hes as corrupt and nuisance as people report, he wouldn't win an election anyway"

some people say that he pays other people to run against him to dilute the voting pool and "guarantee" him wins year after year

So democracy is corrupt system? Is what you've outlined above legal?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

casualchris wrote:If they want a democratic vote to form council, or use the "traditional way" let them have a simple vote what system they want to use. Nelson is saying let the people decide which way they want to form their leadership, whats wrong with that? If hes as corrupt and nuisance as people report, he wouldn't win an election anyway. What am I missing?

I'd gladly give them liberty over money.
If you get a moment read up a little on the recent history about elections and related matters on that reserve. It's fascinating reading.

They have BOTH electoral processes in play today. Nothing more democratic than that. They have exactly what they asked for.

But, it was the traditional custom council that created the latest firestorm on that reserve and nelson wants to change the process to better serve HIM.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

casualchris wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:The funny thing is the process that so irks nelson is THEIR OWN PROCESS. One they continually fight for.

So if the population wants to stick with the traditional ways, they'd vote that way and this whole thing is moot. If they vote another way, then use that way. Why should we be telling them how to do it and NOT ALLOWING it to change. Not allowing it to be revisited would be the interference. If they want a change in their ways, why cant they change their ways? Isn't that what many outsiders are telling them? If he is as corrupt and a nuisance as people claim, he wouldn't win an election anyway.
cc, they already have what they wanted.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

casualchris wrote:
Deank wrote:" If hes as corrupt and nuisance as people report, he wouldn't win an election anyway"

So democracy is corrupt system? Is what you've outlined above legal?

Its why every single election gets taken to court. AND because of the moronic way of elections every two years and how damn long it takes to go through court....the court rules on the past election just about when the current election is taking place.

its really really messed up

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

And... It was the FN desire to have elections every two years. Indeed the government is trying to get that changed to four years and FN are resisting.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

So again wouldn't the referendum Nelson is asking for vote accordingly and his issue be put to rest? Is the real issue here who he asking for help? Does it say something when a person seeks Iran and Ahmadinejad for help?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

" Does it say something when a person seeks Iran and Ahmadinejad for help?"

not really no.

"So again wouldn't the referendum Nelson is asking for vote accordingly and his issue be put to rest?"

Nope. The referendum would hold zero legal weight AND voter turn out is very low so whichever way it went the opposing side would simply say.. but not enough people voted.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

...and it would start all over again after the next election didn't turn out the way he wanted.

And yes, his going to Iran is an issue. Mostly because it's idiotic. Nothing more.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

since when is a "Custom Council" the "traditional" way?

When did THAT become tradition?

If these are truly FN People...that's not how their ancestors determined things.

It was determined by brute strength, show of intelligence, age, etc. Generally it was a sign of respect to have someone lead...and those that chose not to follow were kicked out, or ostracized.

It would seem to me, that a MAJORITY of the problems in Canada could be solved by simply abolishing the Indian Act. Just rip it to shreds, welcome all those who would have fallen under the Act...and say "you are now Canadians...welcome to the Country...pay your taxes here..."

Anyone unwilling to comply, will be provided a travel option to go anywhere in the world they want...one-way ticket.

http://www.photage.ca

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Custom council: their words not mine.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Does anyone have a mailing address or email address, as I would like Iran to send a cheque for $144,000 to ralph brown Community Center because all available money for community centers has been taken by the Human Rights Museum.

http://www.elansofas.com

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.iranembassy.ca/en/enHomeWebForm.aspx

for bonus points make sure to mention that you are a person of Jewish heritage asking them for money.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum