the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Do Not Resussitate!

+2
casualchris
rosencrentz
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Do Not Resussitate! Empty Do Not Resussitate! Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:48 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Are those your instructions?

Your parents?

Your grandparents?

http://www.elansofas.com

2Do Not Resussitate! Empty Re: Do Not Resussitate! Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:17 pm

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

Interesting question Rosie,

After working in a critical care area of the hospital for a couple years now I have considered this question myself, even with no major health problems and still in my early thirties. To me the question is not so much a DNR but what medical treatments would you want to endure? How many months on machines could you take or want to take? I've seen people who I never would have imagine would walk out of the hospital do amazing and people who come in for a pretty routine procedure leave out the back doors. Resuscitation as in CPR and shocking you isn't all that bad to endure from an outsiders view, but personally I would not want to live on a ventilator the rest or my life nor dialysis on a everyday or couple day basis as those affect quality of life, simply being shocked or CPR isn't something you have to live with the rest of your life.

But at a minimum, tell your family your wishes because when you're sedated or a tube is down your throat its your family that will be making the decisions.

DNR are not my instructions, but if I was at the end of my wits with living on the machines it certainly would be

3Do Not Resussitate! Empty Re: Do Not Resussitate! Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:34 pm

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I watched my Mom being kept alive on machines, it was so hard. After a week we took her off and said goodbye...hardest decision ever.

4Do Not Resussitate! Empty Re: Do Not Resussitate! Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:49 pm

Anonymous

I saw a bit of a story on TV last night about a guy that the doctors say is brain dead. They want to disconnect him but his family says no.

It is now before the courts, with the doctors losing the first round.

Bottom line:
A video of the brain dead man responding to his daughter's requests to move fingers clearly shows his condition is improving.

Had the family agreed to the doctors' wishes, he'd be dead.

Seems the doctors are wrong here.

5Do Not Resussitate! Empty Re: Do Not Resussitate! Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:05 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I saw that same program.

years ago my father-in-law had a massive heart attack and there was no chance of recovery. The family had instructions to let nature take its course. To the horrow of one daughter-in-law, a nurse, he was being kept alive on a ventilator, against the family's wishes. No other person realized what was happening. Life support was rmoved and he quietly passed a few hours later.

6Do Not Resussitate! Empty Re: Do Not Resussitate! Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:04 pm

darkwind

darkwind
contributor
contributor

JTF wrote:I saw a bit of a story on TV last night about a guy that the doctors say is brain dead. They want to disconnect him but his family says no.

It is now before the courts, with the doctors losing the first round.

Bottom line:
A video of the brain dead man responding to his daughter's requests to move fingers clearly shows his condition is improving.

Had the family agreed to the doctors' wishes, he'd be dead.

Seems the doctors are wrong here.

There's actually a lot of misunderstanding about what the term brain DEAD actually means. Used here it is inappropriate. Brain death testing means there is no sign of any brain activity, no breathing on your own even, no brain reflexes at all, not even blinking. What you are describing the term is vegetative state or something similar. Brain death testing is quite rigorous and definite and certain. Most people don't understand that because of how often the term is used incorrectly.

Me, I've seen doctors be wrong about whether a person will wake up or "get better", but I have definite ideas about what I am willing to take. Nobody has a crystal ball. Some degrees of "getting better" are still not acceptable to me for my own body and mind, and I try to tell my family that. Lots of people are "DNR" as in no CPR if their heart stops, but they still get to some pretty awful states without the heart actually stopping. End of life care is so much more complicated than CPR vs no-CPR.

7Do Not Resussitate! Empty Re: Do Not Resussitate! Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Anonymous

Yup. They said all his movements were involuntary and he was a veggie. Moving one or two fingers upon request proves them wrong.

8Do Not Resussitate! Empty Re: Do Not Resussitate! Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:32 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Now I know what is the matter with me! I have gone from a vegetative state to being brain dead! So disconcerting!

9Do Not Resussitate! Empty Re: Do Not Resussitate! Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:42 am

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

darkwind wrote:End of life care is so much more complicated than CPR vs no-CPR.

Bingo

For me, a DNR would be a exit from a bad situation, not the thing itself to be avoided.

Without sounding to crass, when I'm alive only by technicality, its time to let me go.

When I all of cant eat, cant drink, cant wash myself, cant carry out my own toileting, when my body cant remove its own toxins and am completely dependant and not leaving the hospital bed ever again, thats when its ok to let me go. But its different for everyone, some would say I want to be alive no matter what, and thats ok, thats absolutely their choice and completely legit.

And to me, moving one or two fingers is not a life i want to live

10Do Not Resussitate! Empty Re: Do Not Resussitate! Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:13 am

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

I'm in my early thirties and have really little kids. I am not DNR at this time. My parents are not DNR at this time, but in the instance of terminal illness, advanced age they would elect to become DNR. My grandmother is DNR, which makes sense for the very elderly -no sense doing heroics and coding a very ill, frail, 85+ year old lady, you know?

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

11Do Not Resussitate! Empty Re: Do Not Resussitate! Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:45 am

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

Sourpuss wrote:no sense doing heroics and coding a very ill, frail, 85+ year old lady, you know?

Happens all the time, i've done compressions on 80+ multiple times.

And thirty year olds get major complications too (cardiac, brain, respiratory issues etc). Never too early to think about and discuss your wishes with loved ones.

12Do Not Resussitate! Empty Re: Do Not Resussitate! Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:20 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

They won't let me set the type of DNR I want...but needless to say, if I'm diagnosed as becoming a burden to my family...don't bother.

Unfortunately, they won't let a doctor declare you "dead", unless you actually die.

But given a choice, if I was comatose, or "vegetable" state...I'd want someone to declare me dead, so my family can move on...collect whatever insurance might be due...and then place what's left of my body in the hands of the state, or some research institution. I'm allowed to donate my organs for transplant...but I'd want to donate my body to research...so that test can be done with my full consent to treat whatever put me in that state to begin with...so that hopefully someone else can be saved at a future time from what is learned.

http://www.photage.ca

13Do Not Resussitate! Empty Re: Do Not Resussitate! Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:52 pm

Anonymous

Can I have you. I'd like to bone up on my embalming skills as it's been a long, long time. Smile

14Do Not Resussitate! Empty Re: Do Not Resussitate! Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:09 pm

casualchris

contributor plus
contributor plus

I was going to say now u can be mummified saw it on discorery

15Do Not Resussitate! Empty Re: Do Not Resussitate! Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:34 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF- I think that you and I should get to a bar to try some embalming together!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum