the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Harper Will Never Change marihuana Laws to Tax and Make Them Legal

+3
grumpy old man
Deank
rosencrentz
7 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

A group of 9 mayors want to change the law and tax the use of the leaf, but Harper wont consider it!

It is way too harmful to have any enjoyment of life when young, or to have pain relief when you are old!

P.S.- I have never smoked the stuff, and am quite mad that I have a gagging reflex when it comes to inhaling smoke!

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

I believe that eventually, pot will be used as a tax base, just as booze is currently....but it will take some time and a change in Steinbachs' attitudes.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I dont understand

1) why we want to make it legal when we are doing our best to make tobacco illegal

2) how we could possibly stop are the current growers from operating when a government taxed product would probably cost more

3) why if it were legel, peoplevwould simply not grow their own...ie one plant is pretty much all mosy people would need for their own use ( unlike tobacco which one plant is less then a weeks use)

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Tobacco illegal? I don't think so ! Liquor illegal- tried that in the US and the benefits to some Canadian companies was fantastic.

The Liberals wanted to make it legal, but caved in to the U.S. who federally are just as bad as harper.

Now in the US there are about a dozen states that allow medical marihuana.

In Canada there aren't many or any Doctors that are willing to give a prescription for medical use.

That is because our Conservative federal stand on the issue has scared them away!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't think a marijuana smoker will smoke the same as a tobacco smoker would. So would it do the same damage? Probably no more than alcohol does to a drinker.

As to cost and taxes, I kinda doubt most people want to break the law to grow weed. It's just easier to buy it. Marketers would likely come up with creative "blends" that would appeal as well.

I just believe we are hypocritical when we allow tobacco smoking and alcohol drinking yet weed is illegal. IMHO it's innocuous. Let's get off our high horses, stop prosecuting peeps for this and open up the jail cells for the real criminals...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

its not illegal to groyour own tobacco, it just not worth it because somuch extra is needed.. marijuanna. well it will make sense for people to grow their own for their own use

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

How do you get our elected officials and political candidates to listen? Don't they form party platforms at convention. To attend, you need to be a delegate which means be a member of the party.

Who here is a member of a political party, real or imagined?

Anonymous

There's going to be a leadership convention next October.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Date-chosen-to-replace-Manitoba-Tory-leader-134535838.html

One member - one vote.

I think $20 gets you a vote....so buy a membership already.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I thought I signed up to the Federal Conservatives, but ended up a member of the Provincial Conservative party!

I like to criticize all stupid things being done, so it doesn't really matter to me.

I got really angry at MY federal MP, when he did not answer any of my 3 inquiries.

I think if I can offer some more money to him, that maybe I will get a reply, or else none of my inquiries got through. I cann't find them in my sent file.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Remember we need our government to protect us from harmful substances! What gets me, is when I look at a current picture of Harper, I see a too well groomed Conservative, who obviously is under the control of the U.S.!

Anonymous

Harper is not under the control of the Americans by any means...dispite what the left wingers say. The conservative Americans Many of them anyway) are against the current drug laws and realized a long time ago that prohibition does not work.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Liberal delegates vote yes to legalizing marijuana

"Debate over whether to legalize marijuana was equally contentious, though 77% of delegates voted in favour of legalization."

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

It would be a leap for Harper but here's to hoping. Now that the possession limit is established - possibly they now move to legalize it and tax it. It's a no-brainer for many reasons including revenue. Surely that could bring in a Billion or more.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

To legalize it and tax it, would bring in a lot of taxes. But it would also provide a green light to grow ops, I would think. Whatever changes to the law they would want, I think they would look at having the US and Mexico harmonize their laws as well. Which may not happen any time soon.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Conservatives and legalized marihuana= zero chance!

Do you remember when the Liberals under martin announced that? 3 days later they (the US), had Canada reversing their decision.

As bad as the laws are here they are 5 times worse under the US Feds. In the US I believe there are 13 states who have decriminalized it , but the feds are still enforcing their law.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Triniman wrote:How do you get our elected officials and political candidates to listen? Don't they form party platforms at convention. To attend, you need to be a delegate which means be a member of the party.

Who here is a member of a political party, real or imagined?

I am a member of a real political party, just ask my wife. They annoy the heck out of her during election times when they call for me.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:Remember we need our government to protect us from harmful substances! What gets me, is when I look at a current picture of Harper, I see a too well groomed Conservative, who obviously is under the control of the U.S.!

You may need the government to protect you from harmful substances. Not all of us are in the same boat as you are.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Anonymous

I think that what the Liberals have done with this marijuana proposal is brilliant. It should get them some serious votes in the future.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JTF wrote:I think that what the Liberals have done with this marijuana proposal is brilliant. It should get them some serious votes in the future.
doubtful

Anonymous

Most people will agree that the present laws are stupid. I think this will garner them some new members...especially from the younger demographic....which is where all parties have a particular focus. But we'll see if this becomes part of their platform come next election.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

even IF it becomes platform material, other then people who partake, most people dont really give a damn one way or the other. At least not enough for it to make a huge difference at election time.

AND their "election reform" will drive people away from them pretty fast as again, other then people who support it, most dont understand or care enough for it to impact voting. Until they look at it and see.. hmm.. This means the NDP will get a majority.

The Liberals are en masse turning to Ontario Liberal basis. And that will piss off enough people that with these proposed changes, the Libs will lose even more votes next time.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Well, that's not entirely true Dean.

I think the biggest argument AGAINST the legalization, is the same one they've been using for years to tighten the legislation on alcohol and tobacco...all the so-called "safety" issues associated with it.

By legalizing marijuana, it is telling everyone it's ok to use it...which will increase the driving, working, etc. under the influence. It will also increase the "2nd-hand smoke" issues, as people will be outside restaurants, offices, etc. having a "hit".

I personally don't care either way...the fact that it's considered a political issue more than a health one is bad enough. But considering all the restrictions being placed on alcohol and tobacco over the past few years...I doubt any government would be willing to become more lenient to yet another addictive product.

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

but UNTIL the law is changed, people wont actually see that happening so its only the "alarmists" who will vote against Liberals because of this and they would not be voting Liberal anyway.

Most people just wont give a damn.

Anonymous

Well, if this does become a plank in their platform, I'm sure it will include a very detailed explanation as to where we can save BILLIONS and reduce our debt. The proper selling of the issue will make a big difference.

And I disagree, most people think it should be decriminalized imo. They have a position on the matter.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

they have a position.. but they dont care enough for it to impact votes (unless they are against it)

also...

with Marijuanna legalization AND electoral reform.... they have taken two HUGE planks away from Fed Green party....

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum