the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Visits to the Emergency Rooms at Hospitals- result in seeing no Doctor!

+4
Deank
Stonekiller
grumpy old man
rosencrentz
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What is the point? We wait around and then go home! Friend of mine waited 11 hours to see a Doctor for his wife's ear ache!

Wow, that is just such bad service.

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

21,000 people left the emerg last year without seeing a doctor.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/21000-leave-city-ers-without-seeing-md-132767938.html

Of course, dumbass Oswald wants to know why people use the emerg. DUH

....BECAUSE THEY WANT TO SEE A DOCTOR !!!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

oswald is a complete idiot. The fact selinger can't see that makes him a bigger idiot. This province is doomed with people of that caliber leading us. Add in the nitwit that is running our largest university and what does the future hold for us?

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

Unfortunately people treat the Emergency Room like a walk in clinic, expecting immediate service for their bout of the flu. It's called an EMERGENCY room for a reason, major injuries or life threatening conditions trump topical illnesses.

What the province needs is more weekend clinics, or 24 hour medical centers. It would take the load off the emergency rooms and provide a service that is useful to everyone.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

There are ton's of clinics and access centers scattered around the city. Just having them available won't change how people use them or the ER's. Place a triage nurse in the waiting room. Send people away to the nearest clinic if they don't fall under ER standards... Don't treat them. The people that abuse the ER's need to learn this lesson.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

but you cant get a paid for ride in an ambulance to a doctors office.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Grumpy is right - that is the obvious course of remedial action. They'll do their best to study something else though.

Deank - paid for ride? We needed an ambulance last year and we got an invoice for $300. Or is it just those will a visible means of money that get billed and others ride for free?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Or is it just those will a visible means of money that get billed and others ride for free?"

that.

Anonymous

People would not use the emerg if they had family doctors.

Walkin clinics are not equipped the same as an emerg room, nor are doctors' offices for the most part.

In fact, many times with a family doctor, they will tell you to go to the emerg if it's after hours, etc.

But, c'mon, 21,000 people leaving without treatment??? That's nonsense.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Speaking of nitwits, I wonder of the Executive of the MB Conservatives resigned yet? If they weren't such idiots, we wouldn't have Oswald and Selinger in power. Ultimately, the MB Cons are to blame.

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

I wonder of all those that weren't seen by a doctor went to their own physician and got the treatment they required? If you need medical attention for a broken bone(s) or major issues, that is one thing, going because your flu is keeping you awake and you want meds is pointless. These patients are going to be so low on the triage list that it would be faster to go to their own doctor.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Probably not. They stayed sick and then it made it worse when they finally went another 3 weeks later.

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

JTF wrote:People would not use the emerg if they had family doctors.

Walkin clinics are not equipped the same as an emerg room, nor are doctors' offices for the most part.
How much equipment do you need to fill in a prescription, or look in someones ears and throat? Honestly if people in this province didn't abuse the system it would probably work better.

In fact, many times with a family doctor, they will tell you to go to the emerg if it's after hours, etc.
Of course they will say that. They don't care about your needs as a patient. Or they send you there because they know that eventually someone will notice all these people going for non-emergency treatments and finally do something about it.

But, c'mon, 21,000 people leaving without treatment??? That's nonsense.
Yeah and of those 21,000 people how many actually were in need of emergency medical assistance? I would imagine none. The triage nurse prioritizes people based on the initial diagnosis, of course every time an ambulance, or someone who is in more need those at the bottom of the list are bumped even further to allow for more in need patients.

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

Could have also been all the drunks that get picked up downtown ... they sobered up and left.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I am sure that is a chunk of them

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

21000 left? Who was being paid to count them? Is that the difference between the number that registered for service and went home after 8 hours and took an asprin after being triaged by a nurse?

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Jondo- if you knew it cost $300 for the ambulance would you still have called them?

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Rosie the real question is - if the frequent flyers knew it was $300 - would THEY still call them? Let's focus on the problem. And above - that should read "with the visible means....".

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I am not sure I would call an ambulance, knowing that the ride in would be $300. I guess it would have to be a life threatening situation, and even then I believe a car ride in would be faster.

I wonder if part of the +$300, I think it is higher, is because many simply do not pay?

Some how I would think that charge should be part of Manitoba Medical, but perhaps some would be calling for a ride to the liquor commission ? lol

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

What has having a family Doctor got to do with going to the emergency?

Wouldn't walk-in clinics be looking after those type of visits?

I went to the walk-in beside Meyers Drugs, and it had become an appointment only, and was absolutely jammed with clients in the afternoon.

Any walk in that my wife or I go to , we expect an hour wait. Last time we were in 20 minutes, when my wife had 40 wasp bites.

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

rosencrentz wrote:Jondo- if you knew it cost $300 for the ambulance would you still have called them?
If people who come in to emergency by ambulance get to see the doctor before people who just walk in, isn't it worth the expense?

Anonymous

Outsider wrote:

If people who come in to emergency by ambulance get to see the doctor before people who just walk in, isn't it worth the expense?

Believe it or not, people actually do this. (I know some that do it.)

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum