the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Does your insurance company now enforce the Highway Traffic Act?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So, its now been announced that it is not necessary to make a police report for motor vehicle accidents unless there is injuries, suspected impaired driving, etc. So, who decides if a serious enough infraction under the HTA occurred to warrant that a charge be laid? Sure, sure, MPI imposes points, makes you pay deductible, takes away your "good driver" discount, but aren't there situations where someone should be charged with something, like running a stop sign, improper care and control, etc.

Does my insurance company, now have responsibility for enforcing the HTA, cause I always figured that to be a police responsibility.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

No harm - don't call the police! Seems like a good policy to me! Suspected drunk driver? I would call the police and I bet that they would get there within 5 hours? lol

http://www.elansofas.com

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

As long as MPI gets money out of it, and Selinger gets to keep premiums low, then I guess we shouldn't worry about the bad drivers out there.

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

Freeman wrote:As long as MPI gets money out of it, and Selinger gets to keep premiums low, then I guess we shouldn't worry about the bad drivers out there.

Having been in a couple of fender benders where it was just an accident, with the damage being over $500 MPI asked that I phone and make a police report. Needless to say I didn't because when you do, depending on the kind of accident if you are at fault (and I wasn't) you can get a $75 ticket for the traffic violation (Happened to my wife making a left hand turn and hitting a woman who jumped into the intersection. Wife got a ticket and had to pay her deductible)

Most accidents now cost waaaaay more than $500 and without being an evaluator you can't put a price on the damage, and it is a waste of WPS time to have to deal with these kinds of accidents. If someone is hurt, or there is other circumstances such as blatant intoxication then yeah. But for a basic fender bender its pointlessly added layer of BS.

Anonymous

The more we get rid of little things for the cops to do, such as receiving these collision reports, the more time they will have to do real police work....like cleaning up downtown for example.

But, I'm afraid this will just allow them more time to screw around at coffee shops, etc.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I agree that some of this may be menial tasks for the cops, however, my point is the perversion that comes to play in that my insurance company is enforcing offences under the HTA. Shouldn't they just be dealing with the financial losses involved? Don't they work for me seeing as I pay the premiums? When does a shitty driver, who is involved in at fault accidents have to account for their actions? We all pretty well recognize that MPI is far too lenient on bad drivers (not enough increase in premiums) and too hard on good drivers, so where does safety come into this? Thats what the laws are for.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

MPI authority has become far too pervasive and too far removed from oversight. It needs to be reigned in big time.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum