the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Moving to big screen monitor...

+2
Stonekiller
grumpy old man
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:48 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I have now officially moved. One of the things I needed to do was incorporate my PC into my standard TV set up.

Colour me converted!

My laptop is connected to a 50" Panasonic plasma via an HDMI connection. My keyboard and mouse are wireless and across the room from the laptop/monitor.

Which means I just typed this from my couch and am reading a HUGE sandbox page on TV. Tres cool!

I have only one complaint. I have set the recommended screen resolution at 1280 x 720. Too big! This resolution overfills the TV screen. However, I'd say the image is over-sized by maybe 5 or 10%. That means things like the bottom taskbar is cut in half. That same dynamic applies to the whole image.

If I set it to the next highest resolution of 1280 x 768 the screen shrinks to about 2/3 the available size. Too small!

Any ideas to maximize BOTH resolution and screen size?

2Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:17 am

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

I found when I hooked my media center to my 52" Samsung that I had to tweak the DPI Settings in Windows 7 to get the screen to fill properly. Which in turn made it so HD movies and Shows that I download are also running in the proper aspect ratio and resolution.

Your video driver package, I am assuming Intel Graphics with a laptop, will have the ability to tweak the screen position as well as making sure that you run in the proper resolution. I seem to recall my screen res being higher than 1280x768 though I could be wrong.

3Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:36 am

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

Interesting, I am still living in the stoneage wth CRT TV and VCR, but probably will have to move into the new millenium when stuff breaks down or is not compatible with content anymore. With a setup as you describe, would it not be much more convenient to use a PiP feature so you can watch your show/game at the same time as you have your computer activity in a separate, appropriately sized, picture/window going on? Or is this feature not a common standard feature on modern TVs?

4Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:40 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Or is this feature not a common standard feature on modern TVs?"
not a common standard feature.

PiP is not on most TVs anymore is it?

5Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:44 am

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

I think mine does that, but it isn't a feature I use.

6Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:27 am

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:"Or is this feature not a common standard feature on modern TVs?"

Interesting - I thought it would be useful to view computer stuff at the same time as TV. Is there an alternative approach to that?

7Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:31 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Oh I am not disagreeing it would be a good feature. I am saying I seem to remember reading somewhere that PiP was being phased out.. or was phased out?

8Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:55 am

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

TVs are no longer the cable tuners, your cable box is.

If you want PIP you will need two cable boxes.

9Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:58 am

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:I have now officially moved. One of the things I needed to do was incorporate my PC into my standard TV set up.

Colour me converted!

My laptop is connected to a 50" Panasonic plasma via an HDMI connection. My keyboard and mouse are wireless and across the room from the laptop/monitor.

Which means I just typed this from my couch and am reading a HUGE sandbox page on TV. Tres cool!

I have only one complaint. I have set the recommended screen resolution at 1280 x 720. Too big! This resolution overfills the TV screen. However, I'd say the image is over-sized by maybe 5 or 10%. That means things like the bottom taskbar is cut in half. That same dynamic applies to the whole image.

If I set it to the next highest resolution of 1280 x 768 the screen shrinks to about 2/3 the available size. Too small!

Any ideas to maximize BOTH resolution and screen size?

Have you tried setting your laptop resolution to 1920x1080?

10Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:19 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

eViL tRoLl wrote:Interesting, I am still living in the stoneage wth CRT TV and VCR, but probably will have to move into the new millenium when stuff breaks down or is not compatible with content anymore. With a setup as you describe, would it not be much more convenient to use a PiP feature so you can watch your show/game at the same time as you have your computer activity in a separate, appropriately sized, picture/window going on? Or is this feature not a common standard feature on modern TVs?

if you're looking to add to your VHS collection, come out to the Rivercrest Inn tomorrow...I'll have about 700 of them available for sale for only $1.00 each.

Have about 300 cassette tapes too. (4/$1.00)

http://www.photage.ca

11Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:57 pm

Stonekiller

Stonekiller
contributor
contributor

sputnik wrote:

TVs are no longer the cable tuners, your cable box is.

If you want PIP you will need two cable boxes.

Yeah I think the PiP is not two channels but two different video sources. Have TV running in one, and computer on the main screen.

12Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ahh so its probably a case of.... most people wont use the feature so its not included on the lower end model sets?

makes sense.

13Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:28 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

PiP, while a neat concept...isn't used often, even by those who seek out the option.

and since the cable companies are basically forcing the channel control to be from the box, rather than through the tv directly...it kind of negates the option designed for direct digital feed.

14Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:54 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

My TV is no more than 3-4 years old and it does not have PIP...

15Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:55 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

sputnik wrote:resolution to 1920x1080?
I will try that now. I think I tried it already and had the same 2/3 screen result. I'll let you'all know what happens...

16Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:58 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

1680x1050 worked PERFECTLY. 1920x1080 resulted in exactly the same slightly over-sized screen.

The sandbox comes through once again...

17Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Anonymous

Ta da. Seek and ye shall find...

btw. Did anyone ever actually use PiP?

18Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:01 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:1680x1050 worked PERFECTLY. 1920x1080 resulted in exactly the same slightly over-sized screen.

Do you have your TV set to zoom? I know a lot of people that do just so that they have a "full screen" when they watch standard definition channels.

Have you also checked your picture position settings? That might be one of the reasons why a 1080 signal is getting cut off the edges.

19Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:02 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I would today if the new digital cable units provided that capability.

20Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:04 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

sputnik wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:1680x1050 worked PERFECTLY. 1920x1080 resulted in exactly the same slightly over-sized screen.

Do you have your TV set to zoom? I know a lot of people that do just so that they have a "full screen" when they watch standard definition channels.

Have you also checked your picture position settings? That might be one of the reasons why a 1080 signal is getting cut off the edges.
I checked the aspect and it was correctly set at "full". The over-sized pictures were over-sized around each edge.

21Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:42 pm

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

grumpy old man wrote:
sputnik wrote:

I checked the aspect and it was correctly set at "full". The over-sized pictures were over-sized around each edge.

On your TV is "full" normal? That said, SD shows have black bars on the sides?

Do you have any position settings where you can move and size the screen horizontally and vertically?

22Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:48 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

sputnik wrote:On your TV is "full" normal? That said, SD shows have black bars on the sides?
I think so.
sputnik wrote:Do you have any position settings where you can move and size the screen horizontally and vertically?
Yes. I've looked at those settings. The TV is set perfectly centred.

23Moving to big screen monitor... Empty Re: Moving to big screen monitor... Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:10 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:Ta da. Seek and ye shall find...

btw. Did anyone ever actually use PiP?

I did years ago (2000-2003) and it worked fine.
But we weren't allowed to have "pay" channels and use it...it would only work with basic service plugged directly into the TV.

In order to watch pay channels, we had to flip an A/B switch to select direct feed, or digital box.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum