the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick?

+6
rosencrentz
JT Estoban
sputnik
AGEsAces
Deank
grumpy old man
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:33 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Agree or disagree?
How many vice presidents does it take to run the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority? Ten, according to the WRHA’s compensation disclosure act report released Wednesday.

That’s right, on top of all the community and regional directors, executive directors, middle managers and public relations hacks, the WRHA needs 10 vice presidents to run its affairs.

Or at least it thinks it does.

They’re all very well paid, too, with two cashing in salaries of more than $200,000 a year and one taking in more than $300,000 annually.

Even senior deputy ministers who run large departments in the provincial government don’t make that kind of dough. Most deputy ministers make between $130,000 and $160,000.

But apparently at the WRHA, money is no option when it comes to funding one of the most bloated bureaucracies around.

Former WRHA CEO Brian Postl retired from the health authority but cashed in his final $450,340 in 2010, the top paid bureaucrat at the WRHA last year.

Brock Wright was the WRHA’s top-paid vice president last year. He finished second on the fat cat list, taking in a cool $334,556.

Catherine Cook was the WRHA’s second highest paid vice president last year, with a salary of $227,603. That’s up a staggering 23% from what she was paid in 2008. A 23% raise in two years. Must be nice.

Cook is the VP for aboriginal health. Not sure why we need a VP for aboriginal health. Do aboriginal people require different health care than people of other races?

The funny thing is that not all 10 vice presidents even make it onto the WRHA’s top 20 highest paid bureaucrat list.

That’s because there are so many other CEOs, CAOs, COOs, CIOs and CHROs who make the same or even more money than the 10 VPs.

What you have to remember is that 15 years ago, the WRHA didn’t even exist and we still ran hospitals and long-term care facilities.

We were told when regional health authorities were set up that the bureaucrats working in individual hospitals would be amalgamated into one central authority.

It never happened. Even Health Sciences Centre, which was officially taken over by the WRHA several years ago, still has a chief operating officer who pulled in $283,294 last year.

Government has created, and vastly expanded, a new level of bureaucracy without adding any tangible value to the health care system. Wait times are still excruciatingly long.

Patients still line emergency room hallways. And health care costs continue to eat up an increasingly larger share of the provincial budget.

So where’s the added value?

Government has created an empire-building beast that has an insatiable appetite to grow, largely for self-preservation reasons. The most effective way for a government bureaucracy to survive is to grow by adding more and more senior officials, middle-managers, supervisors and team leaders. You start small and you keep adding. You begin with a few floors in an office building and you expand it to seven floors. Then you build your own office building so you can house even more vice-presidents, directors, regional directors and information officers.

Which is exactly what the WRHA has done. And the bigger and stronger it is, the harder it is to knock down.

Just the way they like it.

TOP 20 FAT CAT BUREAUCRATS — WRHA 2010

1- Brian Postl (CEO, retired) —$450,340

2- Brock Wright (VP-chief medical officer) —$334,556

3- Adam Topp (COO, Health Sciences Centre) — $283,294

4- Arlene Wilgosh (CEO) — $267,140

5- Catherine Cook (VP aboriginal health) — $227,693

6- Milton Sussman (COO, VP long-term care) — $207,596

7- Gloria O’Rourke (VP chief human resources officer) — $207,225

8- Paul Kochan (VP finance) — $196,595

9 – Real Cloutier (COO, VP long-term care) — $194,091

10-Roger Girard (chief information officer) — $192,784

11- Harry Schultz (chief innovation officer) — $179,580

12-Lori Lamont (VP chief nursing officer) — $178,515

13- John Van Massenhoven (VP, chief human resources officer) — $162,078

14- Heather Reichert (MB Health secondment) — $150,801

15- Glenn McLennan (exec. dir. planning & corp services) — $150,407

16- Rodger Guinn (chief enterprise resource planning) — $147,356

17- Mark Torchia (dir. advanced technologies) — $147,356

18- Dana Erickson (VP & CAO) — $147,216

19- Douglas Spilchuk (dir. payroll) — $144,671

20- Guy Gagne (chief planning & facility management officer) — $144,645

— WRHA 2010 Public Sector Compensation Disclosure Act Report

2WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:38 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Lets not forget the minimum 4 people directly underthem that never had jobs before these jobs being created.

3WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:39 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I think this is typical of government run bureaucracies. All of them.

I believe there needs to be a central agency managing health care in Winnipeg. However, should that not be an overseeing, visionary group that ensures proper and innovative health care is delivered in Winnipeg?

Does that require the bureaucracy that has evolved?

Should we have central resources such as laundry, maintenance, food preparation and delivery, security, etc. and make them available to each hospital and other health care facility?

How can we deliver the best health care possible and stop the seemingly inevitable bloating?

4WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:20 am

Anonymous

First of all, we must stop the so-called "experts" from running the system. They have proven to be less than adequate.

Second, close the Regional Health Authorities and run the system from a central hub (again) as you say.

Third, kill all the identifiable 'empire builders' to prevent them from attempting that nonsense again. (well, maybe not kill them....but.) Smile

5WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:21 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

We need to get the guys from office space to come in and ask.

What is it you would say you do here?

6WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:10 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Just a question here...
In that list...none of them have "Dr." in front of their names...

ARE any of them doctors? Either medical or professional?

If so, and their position requires them to be one...I can understand some of the salaries. I CAN'T understand needing so many of them...but I can understand what the salaries are.

http://www.photage.ca

7WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:57 am

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

AGEsAces wrote:Just a question here...
In that list...none of them have "Dr." in front of their names...

ARE any of them doctors? Either medical or professional?

If so, and their position requires them to be one...I can understand some of the salaries. I CAN'T understand needing so many of them...but I can understand what the salaries are.

Several of them are doctors.

That said. Its not like the salaries are astronomical either. They would all get paid much more in the private sector or in the US. To complain about high salaries is like complaining about getting competent and talented people working at the WRHA.

Just because something is in the public sector doesn't mean that you can pay $40,000 and expect a quality system.

If anything I would rather the paper go after doctors with clinics who get paid per patient visit but spend more money renovating their cottages instead of the clinics.

8WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:01 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:We need to get the guys from office space to come in and ask.

What is it you would say you do here?

You mean "The Bob's"! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SoWNMNKNeM

Bob # 1 - "Looks like you've been missing a lot of work lately"
Peter - "I wouldn't say I've been *missing* it, Bob"

lol!

9WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:25 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

sputnik wrote:If anything I would rather the paper go after doctors with clinics who get paid per patient visit but spend more money renovating their cottages instead of the clinics.
Why?

10WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:44 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

because some of the money they are being paid is supposed to go towards office expenses.

11WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:11 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:because some of the money they are being paid is supposed to go towards office expenses.

You mean it's not regulated as to how much?
Wouldn't a semi-socialized system require a specific amount be justified as to clinic maintenance & improvements?

http://www.photage.ca

12WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:43 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

not one bit regulated.

13WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:35 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Someone who maybe isn't working this week or DeanK, why don't you google those names and see if these are NDP appointed people. If they are then you know that they are worth their money.
Postl was a practising Doctor I believe?

http://www.elansofas.com

14WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:10 pm

Outsider

Outsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

rosencrentz wrote:Someone who maybe isn't working this week or DeanK, why don't you google those names and see if these are NDP appointed people. If they are then you know that they are worth their money.
Postl was a practising Doctor I believe?
So what have these people done to make the health system better? Question

15WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:42 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

We would have to e-mail them and ask what they do! This is a pretty huge company and there must be lots to do otherwise they wouldn't need so many executives!

16WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:43 am

Anonymous

Deank wrote:because some of the money they are being paid is supposed to go towards office expenses.

Okay if you say so .

17WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:51 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I took one name at random and Mr. Sussman has a long history of health care background.
"Mr. Sussman’s career reveals a lifelong commitment to the community in the areas of community outreach and development, health and wellness, child care, and supportive services. His early years were spent working with a variety of community agencies and serving on numerous community Boards of Directors in such capacities as the Chair of the Manitoba Child Care Association, Member of the Provincial Task Force on Child Care, and as the Secretary Treasurer of the Canadian Child Day Care Federation."
Deputy Minister of Health, Province of Manitoba

WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Sussman_web4Milton Sussman assumed his role as Deputy Minister of Health for Manitoba on March 22, 2010.

18WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:57 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

New WRHA BOSS From nursing front lines to city's top health post

By: Larry Kusch

Posted: 02/24/2010 1:00 AM | Comments: 6

WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? 1914904

Enlarge Image
�

Arlene Wilgosh doesn't call herself a feminist, but the new Winnipeg health boss has been pretty successful at breaking through glass ceilings.
The first woman and nurse to be deputy minister of health in the Manitoba government is leaving the provincial civil service to become president and CEO of the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority, effective March 22. She succeeds Brian Postl, who announced his resignation last fall after 11 years in the job.
"I think it's important for nurses to be able to see that a nurse can go forward and come from providing front-line patient care, work her or his way up through the system to become a senior leader of the system," Wilgosh said Tuesday from Orlando, Fla., where she was vacationing with her family.

19WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:45 am

Anonymous

sputnik wrote:

That said. Its not like the salaries are astronomical either. They would all get paid much more in the private sector or in the US. To complain about high salaries is like complaining about getting competent and talented people working at the WRHA.

Problem is....most of these "jobs" are not available within any other system. The private sector would not enjoy unlimited financing for questionbable services.

To complain about high salaries is like complaining about getting competent and talented people working at the WRHA.

We don't have a quality system.

We have a sh it system.

But...we pay outrageous numbers for it.

That, as I see it, is the problem.

20WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:07 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't believe we have a "sh1t" system. I believe we have a "sick" system. That may be splitting hairs but despite how universally hated it is they still, on occasion, do good work.

We need to pare down the bureaucracy and we need to eliminate politics in the running of such systems. Start with those two peccadilloes and we will be well on the way towards curing the system.

21WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:46 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The system is bureaucratic and nonsensical in dealing with my back problem. My Doctor couldn't see the problem and wanted me to get a standing MRI on my back. There is only 1 machine in Canada in BC, a private clinic. Manitoba won't deal with a private for profit clinic, that is the law.
The choice was to spend $5000 in the USA or $2000 in Canada.
Any one guess how Manitoba decided? USA!
And worse was they brought their lawyer to the appeal meeting who was arguing that the procedure was new and therefore they shouldn't be responsible. New of course, but 10 years old in the USA! lol. They conceded at the meeting that they withdrew that part of the argument.

Waste of money to get the procedure, yes. Waste of money to draft the appeal and attend the meeting, yes.
If that is how they looked after my one case, can you imagine the $$$ wasted day to day?

22WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:20 pm

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:I don't believe we have a "sh1t" system. I believe we have a "sick" system.

Potato...potahto...call it what you wish...it is terribly broken and we waste tens of millions each year on its inefficiencies imo.

That may be splitting hairs but despite how universally hated it is they still, on occasion, do good work.

By doing what you have just done, it keeps the myth alive....the myth that our system is the best in the world....when it isn't even close.

But it has become a 'motherhood' issue...sacrosant. It's always a question of "more money".

23WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:59 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Wow. How do you jump to such conclusions?

24WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:16 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

There isn't a single bureaucracy that is efficient. The only efficient system is one that is for profit, or one that rewards efficiency, and the WRHA isn't either!

25WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Empty Re: WRHA fat cat salaries make us sick? Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:01 am

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:Wow. How do you jump to such conclusions?

Simply by looking at the situation without wearing rose-coloured glasses isall.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum