the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

money money money.. throw money at it... always works

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/35787639.html
....Wucherer's program, called The Future is Yours, aims to help up to 60 aboriginal young people between the ages of 12 and 19 learn First Aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation, how to write résumés, prepare for job interviews and volunteer or do community work to bolster their experience in the eyes of prospective employers......
so the dude wants 107K to help 60 kids. interesting.
first aid course from leisure guide. about $100 depending on residency. so that covers $6K of what the dude wants.
How to write resumes.. fine.. lets go with that. 5 day course with an instructor charging 1K per day.. additional 5 days with 5 people working at 160 per day each to help the students..There is another 9 K ( I am being real generous on that one.... real real generous...)
lets see.. how to prepare for job interviews... well lets be clear here... thats offered in school.. and so is the resume writing.. but whatever.
Lets give them another 9K for job interviews.
Letsee... volunteer or community work...well thats free... Lets go with 2 people at $20/hour each to make arrangements for 1 month calling around and setting up the training. so $6400
6+9+9+6.4 = one frick of a lot less then $107,000
where is the money going?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'm changing careers...

I'll bet dude does the righteous holier-than-thou thing very well.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

no kidding... the worst part is all of those programs are already offered for free to the youth (aboriginal and other wise) that want them...
billy gates would probably donate the 10 computers needed if asked and if not him.. someone else... several CCs and other City of Winnipeg properties already have the room available..hell they have the computers already too.
I dont know how this guy does a budget, but $107K for the program he wants to run?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

see the next guy... now his plan.. even though no dollars are indicated is much better.
Barb Moran also applied for WPA funding for a program that teaches 25 aboriginal youths carpentry skills.
For the last two years, the recruitment and training co-ordinator at the Aboriginal Leadership Institute, a Winnipeg-based national organization, has had to go to First Nations throughout the province and to the Manitoba Métis Federation for help running the Aboriginal Construction Technology Program.
"A lot of First Nations don't have the money for education and training," Moran said.
The construction program has awarded past participants with high-school diplomas and provincial Level 1 carpentry certificates.
Last year, 20 of 25 participants finished the 36-week course and built a house in Headingley.

+++

why is it better you might ask? oh I dont know.. something maybe about it maybe getting the kids into something other then an entry level job at a fast food place.

(why the first nations dont have money for education and training is another issue)

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The first program is a THIRTY-SIX week course...

I like the notion of training Aboriginals trades. Plumbing, painting, electrical, drywall, roofing, carpentry... Whatever will allow the economical development and maintenance of on-reserve housing.

While we're at it let's have some lawn maintenance courses. Water management. Road repair...

Can you say self-sufficiency?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yeah.. totally makes sense.. great program the trades one.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Ummm...aren't all these yutes supposed to be in school...learning all this stuff on the tax-payers dollar anyway.

Whatever happened to actually failing kids who can't read/write/do arithmetic?

I'm not saying the school system is great...because we all know it has problems...but they do teach most of those basics, or offer programs (for free) that do.

http://www.photage.ca

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Maybe, but I understand that the drop out rate for Aboriginal kids is something like 25%. We have to a) find a way to keep them in school and on to secondary education in the trades or at university; and/or 2) get them employable. We have an unemployment rate of what 4.3%? Trades are SCREAMING for people. And retailers can't fill all jobs.

Please don't tell me that working at Canadian Tire for minimum wage is less desirable than living on welfare or robbing gas bars.

Get employed...

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

grumpy old man wrote:Maybe, but I understand that the drop out rate for Aboriginal kids is something like 25%. We have to a) find a way to keep them in school and on to secondary education in the trades or at university; and/or 2) get them employable. We have an unemployment rate of what 4.3%? Trades are SCREAMING for people. And retailers can't fill all jobs.

Please don't tell me that working at Canadian Tire for minimum wage is less desirable than living on welfare or robbing gas bars.

Get employed...

No...but it's less desirable than working for a couple of days and then getting "injured" and milking WCB for the next 3-6 months...then doing it all over again.

This year we hired over 20 new people, who all conveniently got "injured" within 3 weeks of starting work. Some of them, their claims were denied...and we usually got a phone call from them the day THAT letter went out asking if they could go back to work.

As long as the government is handing out free money and not cutting people off, there will always be those out there stealing it from everyone else.

http://www.photage.ca

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:
This year we hired over 20 new people, who all conveniently got "injured" within 3 weeks of starting work.

Earlier this year, we got rid of an employee who did exactly that. Three days into the job, while unloading a trailer, "lost his grip" on a coil of hose and broke his nose, resulting in a compo claim & two weeks off. The guy he was working with, a long-serving employee of mine, swore up and down that it was no accident. I let it go, giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Two weeks after returning to work, the guy injured himself again by cutting his thumb with his Olfa knife. I've done that myself, so I chalked it up as an unfortunate accident. Had him driven to the hospital where he got stitches - and filed another compo claim, and took a month off.

A month after coming back, he "lost his grip" again, this time with a box of aluminum camlocks... and sprained his thumb. Now, I'm getting suspicious. The box would have weighed no more than 4lbs, and would have taken effort to have bent one's thumb back far enough to sprain it. But, I filed the accident report, he made his compo claim, and took two weeks off. His claim was rejected by compensation, he was cleared for work by his doctor, but still took two weeks off.

I canned him the moment he walked in the door. He tried to take us to task for wrongful dismissal.

He lost.

When EI called us, we told them what he'd done. He was denied benefits.

Justice.

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

Anonymous

I'm wondering if a 90 day probation period would allow an employer to fire somebody like that without any hassle from Employment Standards. I bet you could.

SMW

SMW
major-contributor
major-contributor

JTF wrote:I'm wondering if a 90 day probation period would allow an employer to fire somebody like that without any hassle from Employment Standards. I bet you could.

From what I understand, an employer doesn't need a reason to terminate an employee during those 90 days, other than "it's not working out". Neither does an employee need a reason to quit other than "I'm not coming in anymore".

http://www.conceitedjerk.com

Anonymous

Ya. I think all it'll cost you is two weeks severance pay.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

under the current legislation. An employer need not EVER give a reason for termination now. Just X weeks for X years.
its not just 90 days.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I understand no notice nor severance is due during the probation period.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.gov.mb.ca/labour/standards/doc,terminate-employment-after-apr-30-07,factsheet.html
Is there a no-notice period?

In the first 30 days of employment the legislation states that employers and employees have the right to end the working relationship without notice.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Do employers need to have just cause to terminate employees?

Under employment standards legislation employers and employees can terminate employment at any time, for any reason if they provide notice of termination. Just cause may be relevant in a civil action, but The Employment Standards Code does not require a reason for a termination.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Correct. But they do have to pay severance in lieu of notice...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

yup...but no reason.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The reality is not a question of the right to fire, but how much notice is given. Legislation provides some of that, but civil actioncan also enter. The classic case is Kakoske (?) v Carter Motors where the mechanic got canned after 38 years of employment, and was awarded 24 months "notice" by the court. On appeal, it was reduced to 7 months because it was determined that he made no effort to find a new job, which there were plenty of, so he failed to mitigate his damages.

In previous employment, my department was closed and according to the policy of the company at that time, I was entitled to 1 month pay for each year of service. (They forgot I transferred from another division which added 5 years onto the 8 years, so I got 13 months pay) Found a new job the next day.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

After 28 years service I received 2 years severance, plus benefits for one year...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum