the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Major Asian Supermarket coming to Winnipeg

+3
rosencrentz
Deank
EdWin
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Supermarket slated for old arena site
By ROSS ROMANIUK, Winnipeg Sun

September 23, 2010

The site of the long-gone Winnipeg Arena will see an Asian supermarket spring up by the end of next year, the property’s developer says.

Shindico Inc. plans to begin building the 45,000-square-foot food market late this year and have it ready to open by late 2011 as the retail anchor of a wider 200,000-square-foot commercial development at the site between Maroons Road and Rapelje Avenue, development manager Bob Downs told the Winnipeg Sun on Thursday.

Downs declined to name the market, saying only that it’s a company that will be new to Winnipeg.

Radio station CJOB, meanwhile, is among the future tenants of the existing former CTV studios at the south end of the site.

My money is T&T Supermarket, targeting Winnipeg's growing Asian population. This store is very popular in Edmonton and Calgary with their respective Asian (mostly oriental) populations, and will likely be the same in Winnipeg. Good news.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Lucky just came here and is doing gangbusters... and no appreciable drop in other stores. not sure though that we could absorb another major one without some impact.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I was shopping awhile back in the Chinatown secton, and the Asian maret stores there are pretty huge. I wonder if all the locals will travel out there to buy? Are Asians allowed to leave the core area to shop elsewhere?

http://www.elansofas.com

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

i can see it doing quite well.

if you haven't been to the polopark area recently...the stores are often flooded with asian people.

with the Filipino population adding 10k people per year to the province...and thousands of Chinese & Indian, the demand is certainly there.

Plus the new asian market that opened near McPhillips & NotreDame is consistently packed with customers...especially on the weekends (good luck finding a place to park). They may take a hit in business...but judging from the number of people in there on a Saturday morning...they may welcome the loss of chaos.

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

It would be nice to see more Asians in the Polo Park area.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I love some of the Asian foods available including the dumplings, sticky rice and several dim sum dishes. Be nice to buy them fresh.

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

Kick. Ass. I LOVE T&T. Maybe they're just catering to the booming Vancouver influx....

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

Anonymous

6 people is an influx?

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I just recently met a couple who relocated to Winnipeg from Chilliwack, their daughter is in my kids kindergarten class.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:6 people is an influx?

6 people?

Anonymous

Hey...I'm sorta' kidding...I'm always chuckling about our fantastic growth rate in Manitoba...

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

well, i remember reports that in 2008, there were 10k filipino immigrants alone to Winnipeg
I don't know the numbers for the others

i also know when my daughter started school last fall, the school was big on native/aboriginal studies and seemed to have a history of aboriginal kids being the majority of students.

we just went to an open house last night, and i'd say at LEAST 50% of the kids there are filipino, and that there's actually a pretty good mix of various ethnic backgrounds

being only a short way from PoloPark, the numbers have definitely increased in the few years since i moved here.

Anonymous

AGEsAces wrote:

...we just went to an open house last night, and i'd say at LEAST 50% of the kids there are filipino...

being only a short way from PoloPark, the numbers have definitely increased in the few years since i moved here.

It would be nice to see more Asians in the Polo Park area.

lol!

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

Goth_chic wrote:I just recently met a couple who relocated to Winnipeg from Chilliwack, their daughter is in my kids kindergarten class.

That's creepy. WE just moved from Chilliwack. My kid is the same age as yours. I tell you, we're coming to take over.

Actually, there are quite a few people from YVR eyeing YWG because of the better prices here and allegedly bountiful work in TV/MOVIE industry.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"
That's creepy. WE just moved from Chilliwack. My kid is the same age as yours. I tell you, we're coming to take over."

maybe its a stalker..

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

Or, maybe I'm the stalker. I did hear of other settlers from Chilliwack that had hitched up their wagons for the great Manitoba Land Rush of TwentyTen, but I didn't know them personally. Everyone seems to have a cousin's uncle's step-sister's neighbor that has moved out here recently. "And they really love it!!!!!!!!"

Yes. Because once you get past the biblical plagues of wasps, mosquitos, floods, leaning houses, sub-zero weather, and pot holes the size of Mongolia, Winnipeg is a great place to live.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum