the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Freep article on TB on reserves.

+5
tick
Triniman
Miz point
a89aries
Deank
9 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Freep article on TB on reserves. Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:42 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/tb/

(the online link does not really mirror the paper at all so you will have to hunt and peck for whatever you want)

the freep has a good series going on TB on reserves. Especially since TB damages the lungs quite badly this is a very timely story considering H1N1.

HOWEVER today's article seems to try to blame "the government" yet only provides evidence which to me places the blame completely on the residents.

1) One guy gets his water out of the lake and dumps his sewage into a trench that leads back to the same lake

seriously dude are you that stupid? We carried our honeypail for many years and it was dumped well away from the water source.

2) Another family does not bathe often enough because of water concerns as well and their children have sores from this. Nor do they wash their hands after using the washroom.

Well excuse me for having lived 6 year of my life without running water and quite frankly without access to an abundant source of water like a lake. We carried the water over 200 feet from a well. We heated the water on stove tops. We carried the run off water and the pail full of sewage out ALL the time. And we still washed our hands after using the bathroom, we still bathed regularily and we still had a clean house. Hell there was times during the winter when the well would dry up and we carried snow in and melted it. Times during the summer when the well went dry WE PAID A DELIVERY SERVICE. Yup used our own money to pay for delivery... crazy I know.

3) Another part of their story bemoans the fact that they dont have a full time doctor and are often short staffed on nurses. They also want a full hospital

We CANT force people to work on reserves. We CANT control the actions of your residents towards the health practicioners ( rapes, assualts, racial slurs, threats.. these things tend to drive people away.). Without medical staff... why build a hospital?

4) For some odd reason the article talks about gang graffitti, litter all over the place, and burned out cars that stopped working.

uh.. okay so again this is the residents doing this. What are we supposed to do?

2Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:59 am

a89aries

a89aries

I think the best method of cleanup would be some sort of work program to pay the residents on the reserves who are currently unemployed to clean up and fix their own reserves. Pay a decent wage, and if you refuse the job you loose your welfare status.

3Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:03 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

In Winnipeg communities organize spring cleanups. Only reward at the end is a free food.

4Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:25 pm

Anonymous

Next we'll be paying people to wipe after pooping. Rolling Eyes

Close these reserves and FREE THE PEOPLE that are on them.

5Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:59 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I can guarantee that the chiefs do not live like that

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

6Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:05 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

and I can guarentee that IF they actually built the reserve homes according to normal city/town sized lots and clustered them all in one place they would indeed be on the water system.

notice how "we" dont connect up water/waste pipes to every single farmhouse either.... maybe "we" should demand it for our farmers sake.

7Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:47 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

JTF wrote:Next we'll be paying people to wipe after pooping. Rolling Eyes

Close these reserves and FREE THE PEOPLE that are on them.
And after they have moved out, drop some daisycutters on 'em so no one will move back.

8Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:27 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Reading that article left me seething......

9Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:32 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

about what in particular?

10Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:47 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Dean what makes me seeth is the nonsense regarding the telling of the world just how bad things are.......I am so sick and tired of hearing that litany. Hey folks, take some responsibility for yourselves okay? Like you Dean, I spent part of my childhood without running water and we were not covered in sores. My cabin up north does not have running water. We use a sauna to bathe.....I mean really, WTF.....and Harper waiting three months to announce to the media that there was a TB outbreak?

11Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:52 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

thanks... was not 100% positive thats what you meant.

12Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:27 pm

tick

tick
contributor plus
contributor plus

build a hostel for abos and breeds at kapyong.
six month max stay.
open the doors to the rest of the children of poohtown.
the seething maelstrom will bear fruit.
and downtown will be a cleaner safer richer part of the north end.

ciggy smokers are immune to TB. Must be the children falling ill.

13Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:07 am

Anonymous

tick wrote:build a hostel for abos and breeds at kapyong.
six month max stay.
open the doors to the rest of the children of poohtown.
the seething maelstrom will bear fruit.
and downtown will be a cleaner safer richer part of the north end.

ciggy smokers are immune to TB. Must be the children falling ill.

and I thought I had problems....

14Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:51 am

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

FYI;

TB has been a problem for reservations for the past 30 years. It is more of a problem now days, somehow a drug resistant form of TB has started to infect people of remote northern reservations. I wonder how that happened?

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

15Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:25 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

One of the story from yesterday has the one guy stopping taking his medicine halfway through.... dont suppose that might have something to do with it eh?

16Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:15 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

LivingDead wrote:FYI;

TB has been a problem for reservations for the past 30 years. It is more of a problem now days, somehow a drug resistant form of TB has started to infect people of remote northern reservations. I wonder how that happened?

Substance abusers are more vulnerable to this new strain. As well those with AIDS are at risk. Remote is not as remote as it used to be. There is no such thing when one can get on a plane, come down here or go elsewhere, do whatever and come home for the holidays.....

This new strain of TB has been affecting mostly street folks in the larger urban centres and yes, it is now here. Our society's abuse of antibiotics (over prescribing) is an issue to monitor as viruses mutate, do so rapidly and adapt at an alarming rate. It is my belief that over the years we will be witness to more viruses doing just that.

17Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:12 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

interesting and tragic comment from a reader on this article

I have seven children, probally much more then you. My children are aboriginal. My aboriginal relatives have numerous children also, probally much more then your families. We know our history, we know what happened to our ancestors, we know the truth. My children will grow up in Winnipeg, home to Canada's largest population of aboriginals, now I bet you did'nt know that. I will watch them growing up, ever aware that they are more prone to die from diseases, then your family probally is. I will be close when they leave to do whatever, because I know they are more likely to be murdered then your own children. I will protect my wife more then ever, because she is more likely to be murdered or go missing then your wife, or sister, or mom. But we will persevere, because that is what we First Nations do.
I know that time will change this city, our population is growing so fast! Soon there will be more of us then there will be of you. Our time to shine will come again, everything we have lost will be returned. I have seven children, probally more then you. I realize that time is on our side now, and that nothing you racists and bigots say can harm us.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/The-killer-never-left-67964072.html

18Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:38 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Victory by needless breeding? Who cares whether or not one can house, clothe and feed said children properly as long as our numbers are greater? He may not being saying that but it is what can be inferred.

19Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:04 pm

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:interesting and tragic comment from a reader on this article:

I know that time will change this city, our population is growing so fast! Soon there will be more of us then there will be of you. Our time to shine will come again, everything we have lost will be returned. I have seven children, probally more then you. I realize that time is on our side now, and that nothing you racists and bigots say can harm us.
Indeed a very sad attitude. He is right about the population growth - let's see if the asian and african immigrants who may be growing just as strong in numbers will be as wiling to feed them as the whites have been!

20Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

" I will be close when they leave to do whatever, because I know they are more likely to be murdered then your own children. I will protect my wife more then ever, because she is more likely to be murdered or go missing then your wife, or sister, or mom"

who is killing, raping and kidnapping these family members I wonder?

21Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:35 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Interesting being that the newest serial killer is in the states, he is black and they found four more bodies in the house yesterday....he was an ex-marine, therefore a very disciplined man.......and all of his victims were of the same race.....most serial killers prey upon members of their own race.

22Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:42 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Thats crazy MizP.. why just in Canada we know for a fact more people of Aboriginal background are in jail, not because they committed the crime but because the justice system is racist.

Shame on you for suggesting otherwise.

23Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:43 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I hang my racist head in shame......I will now go back to playing with my beef fat..... Freep article on TB on reserves. Lol

24Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Wed Nov 04, 2009 6:11 pm

eViL tRoLl

eViL tRoLl
contributor plus
contributor plus

Deank wrote:Thats crazy MizP.. why just in Canada we know for a fact more people of Aboriginal background are in jail, not because they committed the crime but because the justice system is racist.

Please provide some data on this "fact" - I find it hard to believe that there are more aboriginals in jails than non- aboriginals. I also don't believe that our justice system is biased toward race.

25Freep article on TB on reserves. Empty Re: Freep article on TB on reserves. Wed Nov 04, 2009 7:07 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum