the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

rumour - NHL's Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg

+9
JT Estoban
EdWin
Electrician
LivingDead
eastsider
grumpy old man
rosencrentz
Deank
Triniman
13 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Heard it on CJOB this evening. Just a rumour.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

meh if we got one the next thing you know Toronto would want one.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Rumour- The Beasejour Beavers are moving to Winnipeg! Or was it Lockport?

http://www.elansofas.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'd heard the same rumour. I think a number of NHL teams are struggling. They've been papering the stats for a few years now. For example they may "announce" attendance at 15k when in reality it was 6k. The also have obscenely low ticket prices to get seats filled.

I think the only thing Winnipeg is lacking is someone with deep pockets who doesn't mind carrying a team that at best will break even. I guess if you were Jerry Moyes (owner of Coyotes) he'd be absolutely thrilled with break-even...

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

How could they even think that hockey would sell in Arizona? Not even the Gretzky name attached to it put butts in the seats.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Triniman wrote:Heard it on CJOB this evening. Just a rumour.

I heard the same rumor a year ago, from someone in a position to "know". I thought it was a bunch of wishful thinking at the time.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The fallacy of owners having to have deep pockets bugs me!
Anyone who can add and has an understanding of what Manitoba needs, and some common sense would have figured the following out:
$265 million for the Dead People's Museum - buys a franchise, and then the $22 million in upkeep going towards the $57 million salary cap, leaves a salary of 36 million. When the Jets left the salary was $16 million, so all the franchise would have to raise is an additional 20 million dollars that amounts to only an additional $33 per ticket per sell out of all 15,000 tickets, less if you deduct the selling of corporate boxes.
It is do-able!
Any one want to pitch this to the governments?
I can contact the Aspers! lol

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Add some topless cheerleaders and you'll have a sell-out at every game.
What the h*ck, just have the cheerleaders do their stit, and you'll have peeps standing outside to get in at $200 a seat, and who cares if there ain't no hockey game to see.
rumour - NHL's Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg Icon_eek

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

Anonymous

rosencrentz wrote:The fallacy of owners having to have deep pockets bugs me!
Anyone who can add and has an understanding of what Manitoba needs, and some common sense would have figured the following out:
$265 million for the Dead People's Museum - buys a franchise, and then the $22 million in upkeep going towards the $57 million salary cap, leaves a salary of 36 million. When the Jets left the salary was $16 million, so all the franchise would have to raise is an additional 20 million dollars that amounts to only an additional $33 per ticket per sell out of all 15,000 tickets, less if you deduct the selling of corporate boxes.
It is do-able!
Any one want to pitch this to the governments?
I can contact the Aspers! lol

I agree. It is indeed do-able.

First, the team has to be declared a public utility. From then on, it's financed by the government. Simple.

Just like the Bombers are "community owned" eh? LOL

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

LivingDead wrote:
Triniman wrote:Heard it on CJOB this evening. Just a rumour.

I heard the same rumor a year ago, from someone in a position to "know". I thought it was a bunch of wishful thinking at the time.

Probably just the same "wishful thinking - never going to happen" mentality such as bringing an IKEA to Winnipeg, and look how that turned out.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Manitona Hydro takes them over!! The perfect answer- need more money- we can have floating hydro bills to offset any unforseen expenses!

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Rosencrentz! Pass the hat the next time you are at synegoge. Convince the Israel bonds guy to become a partner and then buy an NHL team for Winnipeg! Convince Shenkarow to once again become the public face of ownership. Perhaps hire Gretz as coach! The media will go nuts, trying to tell the story about how we couldn't get Gretz as a player due to a lack of backgammon skills, but now we have him as coach! And while you're at it, bring back Kurt Kielback as the voice of the Jets.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Triniman wrote:Rosencrentz! Pass the hat the next time you are at synegoge. Convince the Israel bonds guy to become a partner and then buy an NHL team for Winnipeg! Convince Shenkarow to once again become the public face of ownership. Perhaps hire Gretz as coach! The media will go nuts, trying to tell the story about how we couldn't get Gretz as a player due to a lack of backgammon skills, but now we have him as coach! And while you're at it, bring back Kurt Kielback as the voice of the Jets.

Jumping to conclusions already, eh? Can you prove that there will be millions of $$$ taxpayers money going towards the purchase of an NHL franchise for Winnipeg? No, didn't think so.

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

What?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

He didn't actually say that EdWin...

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:He didn't actually say that EdWin...

I know he didnt' say that, but it was definately implyed. I can read between the lines. Just like all his snyde comments about how the Museum will fail and such. It's blatantly obvious.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Found this on SSP. Chew on this NHL rumour...
Toronto buyers moving Thrashers to Winnipeg
By: Tim Campbell

There was more NHL/Winnipeg speculation on Saturday night's Hockey Night in Canada's Satellite Hotstove.

On the season's opening weekend, the captivated nation was told that big money from Toronto has done plenty of work already to buy the Atlanta Thrashers and move them to Winnipeg. Is it just another episode of wishful thinking or a real indicator of what's afoot?

True North Sports and Entertainment chairman Mark Chipman wasn't saying on Sunday, taking his usual tack of the less said the better. There are several known quantities to this ongoing story:

* The NHL has more problems than just the financially drowning Phoenix Coyotes.

* Chipman, whose company owns Winnipeg's MTS Centre, has been a consistently keen observer of NHL franchise matters for longer than his arena has been open (2004) and has never denied his interest in some future deal that might bring the NHL back to the city.

* One of the biggest partners in the True North success story, and certainly its most well-heeled, is Osmington, Inc., the Toronto-based private real estate company of David Thomson, the richest man in Canada and son of the late Ken Thomson.

* Chipman and True North have been to NHL headquarters in New York to address league executives and governors about their new arena, their situation and their interest and they continue to maintain a very quiet but open channel for dialogue with the league's leadership.

* In this case of Saturday's HNIC outburst, the Thrashers' owners, the Spirit group of eight partners, have been embroiled in disputes and legal wrangling for about four years over control of the NHL team, the NBA Hawks and Philips Arena. This summer, a judge tossed out a lawsuit that sent the bickering partners back to the starting blocks over share valuation and how one side or the other could be bought out. It's thought that the group is far more interested in basketball and could sell the Thrashers, but that's only speculation.

* In recent years, hopeful yet emotionally battered Winnipeggers have gotten better at not overreacting to every bit of speculation or mention of their city and the NHL, even when it comes from influential or powerful figures like league commissioner Gary Bettman himself.

All of the above considered, the tone of any speculation on Winnipeg seemed to move one grade towards legitimate in the spring when, among the court filings and briefs in the Coyotes' debacle, it was discovered that Bettman wrote in an email earlier this year that the Coyotes, if they were going to be sold and relocated anywhere, ought to be offered up first to Winnipeg.

That seemed to infer the commissioner, so wildly reviled for chasing teams out of Canada in the mid-'90s, would now give his blessing for a repatriation.

Chipman had almost no reaction to that revelation, too, not only because he had no intention of rocking the boat but also because he was steadfastly sticking to his position that the NHL knows where we are.

Even as the Phoenix mess stumbled from headline to headline to last week's interim conclusion that Ontario billionaire Jim Balsillie could not buy the bankrupt team and relocate it to Hamilton, the eager return-of-the-Jets type crowd would no doubt urge Chipman to get into the bidding line the NHL will surely seek for Winnipeg's former team.

But the financial morass in the desert will be more complicated and expensive than most suspect, Chipman said late last week, while hinting he and his group won't be rushing into the first money pit that comes along. He didn't say he was done looking, though.

The group has previously kicked tires in Nashville, and watched with great interest in Phoenix, but both situations are both tainted and inflated by Balsillie's inept interventions.

Maybe they're kicking tires in Atlanta, too, or maybe not. Chipman won't say, but you can take this to the bank -- he's only going to look at the possibilities as sound business propositions and if he has any control over it, Winnipeg won't be dragged into any bidding wars and his group continues to have no desire to make a single public proclamation about what it may or may not do until it's done.

That should suggest to the wise money that the story is a long way from over.

tim.campbell@freepress.mb.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"Chipman, whose company owns Winnipeg's MTS Centre, "

LIE!

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:"Chipman, whose company owns Winnipeg's MTS Centre, "

LIE!

I was wondering about that. Isn't it now owned by the Thomson family, the RICHEST family in Canada? rumour - NHL's Atlanta Thrashers moving to Winnipeg Icon_smile

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

nope.

Guess again.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Nah, not in the mood for a guessing game. Who owns the MTS Centre?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

oops sorry thinking of wrong project. I was for a moment thinking that "we" owned it and it was simply leased to them for X years

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

So then I am right; it is the Thomson family that owns the MTS, AND is willing to purchase a team and bring it to Winnipeg. Sounds like a good combination to me!

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

EdWin wrote:So then I am right; it is the Thomson family that owns the MTS, AND is willing to purchase a team and bring it to Winnipeg. Sounds like a good combination to me!

....except if you've followed the Thrashers at all, they stink! lol

Say, can't we get us one of those "winning" franchises this time?

If we're gonna do this thing, we have a chance to do it right this time, lets not get stuck with someone else's lemon!

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Well, look at it this way. If we can't get ahold of one of those "winning" teams, we should still take on of the others. If you have the richest family in Canada owning this team, they will have the $$$ to build it up into a winning team, and then we can finally win the Stanley Cup! Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum