the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Yet Another Freep Article on Parking

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Empty Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:48 am

St Norberter

St Norberter
major-contributor
major-contributor

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/taking-it-to-the-streets-51978127.html

Must be slow for news. How many articles in the last few days on parking?

Interesting though - are they going to do an article on parking near fire hydrants or bus stops?

I got a ticket a couple of years back for parking at a bus stop ( even though it was only a rush hour bus and it was 1:30 pm). After doing a little research - turns out the ticket was clearly illegal - why? Because the ticket said 'no parking - bus stop' and there is nothing in the city traffic bylaws defining what a 'bus stop'is for purposes of parking ( unlike a fire hydrant which is clearly defined). Even staff at the parking office confirmed that the bus stop is defined by the no stopping signs on each side of the bus stop. Therefore, the infraction should be 'no parking - no stopping zone' as opposed to 'no parking - bus stop'.

Unfortunately I did not get a chance to argue this, as the court date was set for nine months later, and I totally forgot about it and missed it when it came and went ( of course that's another argument - 9 months?)

Anyone else have any parking stories?

http://bgilchrist.wordpress.com/

2Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Empty Re: Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:04 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

From my blog...

As I drove southbound on Balmoral Street, behind the Great West Life building, I noticed a City of Winnipeg truck parked on the east side of the street, facing Broadway. What made me give it more than a passing interest was that vehicle's driver was crossing the street with a camera in his hand to photograph an illegally parked car. It was then I noticed his truck was a Parking Enforcement vehicle, and it was parked directly in front of a fire hydrant.

Now let's add up the offences here:

1. City of Winnipeg vehicle parked on east side of the street, facing Broadway. This is a clearly marked no parking zone.
2. City of Winnipeg Parking Enforcement driver, crossing the street in the middle of the block. This is jaywalking.
3. City of Winnipeg vehicle was parked directly in front of fire hydrant. A FIRE HYDRANT.

I took out my cell phone with its' built in camera, and walked up to the driver, now back in his City of Winnipeg truck. I asked this fellow under what conditions was he allowed to park illegally.

His reply: "as long as he is doing his job."

It was my understanding, wrongly I later learned, that no vehicles were allowed to break traffic laws unless operating under very specific emergency conditions. Which I thought meant that Fire, Police and Ambulance drivers operate under strict conditions under which they could ignore traffic laws.

So I suggested to this individual that he was incorrect. I alerted him to the fact that not even Fire, Police and Ambulance drivers were allowed to park illegally unless under certain emergency protocols. He then drove off.

To my utter amazement he simply drove forward a few car lengths and parked. Again illegally.

So off I went to again remind him that he was not permitted to park illegally. He continued to assert his right to park illegally while ticketing illegally parked cars.

The irony here is delicious.

I didn't expect this arrogant and officious bureaucrat to change his ways. So I called the city Parking Authority. It was just before 5PM so there was nobody home to speak with. I left a message asking that someone call me the next day to discuss this situation.

I'm not so sure I'll hear from the City's Parking Authority... BUT, I mentioned it to a former member of Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz' Executive Policy Committee yesterday evening. We all shook our heads and tsk tsked. Maybe I will hear from someone...

--------------------------------------

UPDATE
The Winnipeg Parking Authority actually called me. Credit where credit is due.

Here is the kicker. There is a city by-law that permits ANY city vehicle to park anywhere they bloody well want provided it is a "necessity" of their work.

By-law 1573/77 Section 32

PARKING EXEMPTIONS
32. The provisions of this by-law prohibiting or regulating stopping and parking shall not apply to:
(a) vehicles of the Police Department of the City of Winnipeg;
(b) vehicles of or employed by the City of Winnipeg while in use in connection with work of necessity being done in or near a highway requiring them to stop or be parked in contravention of any such provisions; and
(c) vehicles of the Government of Manitoba, the Government of Canada, or a public utility if such vehicles have the owner’s name painted thereon and are actually engaged in work of necessity on or near a highway requiring them to stop or be parked in contravention of any such provisions.

Necessity is not defined.

So, two sets of rules. One for citizens and one for the government. It is assumed therefor that writing a parking ticket is a necessity and it is acceptable to park illegally to write an illegal parking ticket.

Unbelievable eh?

3Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Empty Re: Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:10 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Man that is some story.....so I guess the city truck I saw illegally parked on Rover one day ( public works dude was getting a "job" done - heheheh) would have been okay with the parking poohbahs.....wished I had had the camera THAT day. lol!

http://www.granhotelflores.blogspot.com

4Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Empty Re: Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:49 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

It makes sense to allow City vehicles to park anywhere, while they are doing their job!
Regarding the story on parking, when you take the number of tickets issued and divide the 6 days per week they are in force, you will find that each parking spot yields 1 1/2 tickets per day! I don't see the big deal, because there is no big deal, and no story there.
The $2 pr hour rates around the hospitals etc are there to keep workers off those spots. It is all about trying to regulate the parking and make it easy to find a spot.
Seems logical to me!

http://www.elansofas.com

5Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Empty Re: Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:32 pm

Anonymous

I believe that there is a similar allowance in law for tradespeople carrying out their trade. It's probably not as broad as the allowance for city services.

Also, to this day, postal vehicles can park/stop anywhere they damn well please.

6Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Empty Re: Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:39 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

JTF wrote:I believe that there is a similar allowance in law for tradespeople carrying out their trade. It's probably not as broad as the allowance for city services.
This is true I believe of tradespeople working for the City, the Province or the Feds. I am not aware of exemptions in law for trades folks otherwise.

Not sure why a meter maid needs that exemption eh?

JTF wrote:Also, to this day, postal vehicles can park/stop anywhere they damn well please.
This goes to my point above.

7Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Empty Re: Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:13 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

tradespeople (and you or I) need to apply for a special permit and then they can indeed park where they have applied to park for, regardless of what the area is.

8Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Empty Re: Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:32 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

LOL another day.. another parking article.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/park-your-attitude-officers-warned-52061727.html

something must be up...

9Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Empty Re: Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:46 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I remember one time in the Exchange District....the meter was two minutes from expiration and the dude had already written the ticket and was about to place it on my windshield when I walked up to him and pointed out the meter time remaining....he tried to argue but of course it was a losing gambit.....I made him destroy the ticket and void the copy in his book.....then I drove to the Parking Authority and logged a formal complaint.

Talk about over-zealousness on the part of the Commissionaire.....

10Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Empty Re: Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:49 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

You should have kneed him in the nads... Smile

11Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Empty Re: Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:50 am

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

No, I shall save that sort of anger for those who deserve it! Hehehehe.....muahahahahahaha!

12Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Empty Re: Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:53 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Miz point wrote:I remember one time in the Exchange District....the meter was two minutes from expiration and the dude had already written the ticket and was about to place it on my windshield when I walked up to him and pointed out the meter time remaining....he tried to argue but of course it was a losing gambit.....I made him destroy the ticket and void the copy in his book.....then I drove to the Parking Authority and logged a formal complaint.

Talk about over-zealousness on the part of the Commissionaire.....

so you made him destroy the evidence then proceeded to file a complaint?

13Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Empty Re: Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:06 pm

Miz point

Miz point
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Yes.....the complaint was succinctly worded, was not meant to get him fired but instead to bring attention to a particular incident....i did not care as to having my "ticket" as his was still in the book but voided so there was an evidentiary pathway Dean....the tickets are numbered and have to be accounted for. I do not know if he got admonished as my goal that day was to ensure that the authorities knew that these sorts of breaches were occurring.

14Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Empty Re: Yet Another Freep Article on Parking Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:09 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ahh...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum