the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Is Sam Katz a crook?

+6
grumpy old man
AGEsAces
Deank
incognito
Time Lord
rosencrentz
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

1Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Is Sam Katz a crook? Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:55 pm

Anonymous

For some time there has been controversy regarding Katz and his (non-profit ?) baseball park.

Did Katz set this deal up to cheat the taxpayer and Revenue Canada?

Is Riverside Park Management a scam to get out of paying taxes?

Read all about this deal in the FREEP.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/story/4237587p-4880503c.html

2Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:39 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Sam Katz is not a crook- He is from the NORTHEND of Winnipeg, which should automatically exclude him from our normal slanderous, insinuations!

That is a relatively old by law of Winnipeg.

http://www.elansofas.com

3Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:09 pm

Time Lord

Time Lord

Sam is an old hand at this stuff. It's probably legal, but it's really just a tax dodge for the folks who wrote the tax laws. (Rich old white guys).

Remember the Burton Cummings theater? Used to be run by a non profit corporation called the Necessities of Life (I think that was the name). Sounds good, but non profit companies often have to hire "consultants". They get paid real money. Quite often leaving no profits, hence the name.
You only get one guess who the consultants were. (Answer: Nite out Entertainment)

http://www.jacsport.com

4Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:54 pm

Anonymous

Scammy has a lot of questions to answer I believe.

First one is why set up a non-profit organization to lease the property from and/or to?

"There's something we're missing," he [Gary Miles, a partner in the Winnipeg chartered accounting firm Miles & Shaffer LLP]said. "I'm totally mystified as to why they need a non-profit corporation."

"If the rules in place (at the city) permit the mayor owning the Goldeyes, the rules are wrong, they're mistaken. They promote cynicism in the political process and they discredit the whole system," he [Arthur Schafer, the director of the University of Manitoba's Centre for Professional Applied Ethics] said.

5Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:57 pm

incognito

incognito
contributor plus
contributor plus

Sam's not a crook, just a shrewd businessman.

6Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:43 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

you can spell shrewd without shrew

7Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:55 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Deank wrote:you can spell shrewd without shrew

you can? how? Wink

http://www.photage.ca

8Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:57 pm

Anonymous

The city should throw this deal out and Sam should not be allowed to give deals to his buddies Asper and Shindillmen . These two have gotten preferential deals for the last year or more .

9Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:03 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I know Gary Miles, and I don't believe that he would ever say anything detrimental about sam Katz, Winnipeg's 2nd best ever mayor!!

Asper and Shindelman have gotten what as preferential treatment??

Please be more specific in your slander!

http://www.elansofas.com

10Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:24 pm

Anonymous

Shindellmen the CKY and the arena site and Asper the only person on the table for the Stadium even though Leo has a better proposal. And Asper gets the old stadium site to add to his empire . Gee no favoritism at the synagogue at all .

11Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:57 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Sounding a little racist there Pavolo. Do you know for a fact that Katz and the Shindleman brothers have received any kind of preferential treatment? Did they pay fair market value for their acquisition(s)? Not sure how you are connecting the dots on the CKY site.

As for Asper and the stadium site, we're a little premature in our slanderous commentary aren't we?

You should be a little cautious when making such comments as it does in fact border on racism and on slander. Don't want that now do ya?

12Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:10 am

Anonymous

I will find the article in the press about CKY site was very quietly done just like most deals Sam doe's . And the fair market value was never given that I saw . Have a friend in Real Estate will check with him. I respect your concern and I have no fear with this one as it was in the press just not to loudly .
Asper will get them same as the price is not being mentioned in the deal now is it . Fair market well what is that and why is Sam involved the property division of the city . This deal should be held up for all to see before Sam signs his name for me .
http://www.shindico.com/news/articles/070804.htm
Notice behind closed doors and no open tender was given . Me thinks this is prime Wpg property and some one might have paid more . But the deal was pushed through by The Mayor.

Last edited by Pavolo on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add link)

13Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:29 am

Anonymous

Yes maybe Religion has nothing to do with it and is certainly is not meant as a racist comment just as a observation . So please take no offence anyone, I would hope all understand this .

14Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:52 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

While everyone is questioning and speculating why the Goldeyes needed a non-profit middleman (Riverside Management), why not ask the civic officials who were around when the deal was negotiated? Afterall, wouldn't the City have been a party to the entire agreement?

15Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:09 am

Anonymous

Yes but these are the same people who negotiated the Arena deal , and took the time to look at Leo Ledowski's proposal. Come On the land at Polo Park was worth more than 3.3 or whatever mill , after all we cleaned it up 2 mill not 1.5 as was stated .
The cost overrun was due to the difficulty bringing the old barn down. So we only got 1.something for it in reality . sad business deal Sam where did you learn your skills .

16Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:45 pm

Anonymous

Freeman wrote:While everyone is questioning and speculating why the Goldeyes needed a non-profit middleman (Riverside Management), why not ask the civic officials who were around when the deal was negotiated? Afterall, wouldn't the City have been a party to the entire agreement?
That's why the entire deal STINKS! Nobody asked the questions, including our media.

Just WTF is going on at City Hall.

The same names keep coming up and the same people seem to be involved all the time.

I smell a rat.

17Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:02 pm

Anonymous

I don't think the media knew till it was to late jtf sam did it in private and under the table .

18Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:33 pm

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I'm not referring to the media, I'm talking about other elected officials and high priced bureaucrats. Why wasn't Lillian Thomas and Jenny Gerbassi screeching when this deal was done? Was Harvey Smith around then, was he conscious? Where was Harry, or was he busy checking on garbage containers in the North End? Why are they so quiet now? Why is it a big deal now not when the deal was signed? Can't tell me that Katz did this all on his own!

19Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:00 pm

Anonymous

No but he could have used his allies on the EPC to get it done maybe. Either that or he duped alot of councilors.

20Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:18 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If Katz "duped" the entire Council, then why would we want a new mayor? A guy that has that much influence over that many people is certainly a leader, which is what everyone says we need. Again, the question is, why is it being questioned now and not when the deal was signed. Were these people comatose for the last 4 years?

21Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:08 am

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Freeman wrote:If Katz "duped" the entire Council, then why would we want a new mayor? A guy that has that much influence over that many people is certainly a leader, which is what everyone says we need. Again, the question is, why is it being questioned now and not when the deal was signed. Were these people comatose for the last 4 years?

Is there an election soon? Or maybe these people didn't get enough palm grease to keep quiet.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

22Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:30 am

Anonymous

The deal is coming to lite cause of the tax question and his supposed blind trust snicker snicker. Also if not mistaken this was set up before he became mayor so it might have gone under the radar . Sam probably had the deal when he built the park he is not stupid when it comes to business.

23Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:16 am

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So, if the deal was set up before he was mayor, whats the issue? Maybe someone should have checked it out before he was elected. This whole thing smells like a smear campaign, plain and simple. All parties agreed to the arrangement at the time it was struck and now someone doesn't like it. Too bad, suck it up.

24Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:15 am

Anonymous

Explain why Scammy set up a non-profit to deal with the property then.

Should we have just "sucked up" the Liberal Adscam also?

25Is Sam Katz a crook? Empty Re: Is Sam Katz a crook? Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:02 am

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

JTF wrote:Explain why Scammy set up a non-profit to deal with the property then.

Should we have just "sucked up" the Liberal Adscam also?

My assumption here, would be because he's a smart businessman.

non-profits pay less (if any) in taxes.

Non-profit does NOT mean non-income. It just means it cannot show a significant (I forget what the percentage is) profit from year-to-year.

It also does NOT mean "charity". It just means that the profit has to go somewhere...most likely into payroll/management fees.

http://www.photage.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum