the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Danton still in U.S. jail: Claims Canada is preventing him from serving his sentence in Canada

+4
Freeman
Deank
LivingDead
grumpy old man
8 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

OTTAWA -- (Winnipeg Free Press) Mike Danton wants to come home, but the Tory government won't let him.

The young NHLer serving time in a U.S. prison for plotting to kill his agent is calling on the Harper government to sign off on a prison transfer that would have him return to Canada.

"I feel like a piece of meat that my own government doesn't care about," Danton said in his first interview since the St. Louis Blues forward was sentenced in 2004 to seven years in prison for trying to hire a hitman to kill his agent Dave Frost.

"I want the prime minister to know that one of his Canadians is in prison in America, and it's not America holding up the transfer, it's his government."

The Ottawa Citizen has learned that Anne McLellan, the former public safety minister under the Liberal government, approved Danton's transfer in June 2005 on the condition that U.S. authorities agreed.

The U.S. Department of Justice approved the Danton transfer in May 2008, but Stockwell Day -- the Tory minister who assumed the public safety portfolio -- has not, according to the jailed hockey player, Canadian prison officials and American authorities.
===========================================
This is not the first time some holier-than-thou convicted criminal wailed about wanting to serve his time in Canada. I don't understand where this attitude comes from. What right does anyone have to commit a crime in the US and expect to serve it in Canada?

There can be but one reason to allow this: for the care and comfort of the convict, so he can spend his time closer to friends and family. Pffffttt.

I don't want to spend one penny of my money so this knob can serve his time in Canada. The crime was committed in the States. Serve your time in the States. We DON'T care about you. We would had you not BROKEN the law. Twit!

Anonymous

His attitude comes from his Liberal background eh. Wink

He knows damn well that when he's transferred back to Canada he'll walk. Our laws are so lenient that it's joke.

Let the penishead stay in the jail he deserves.

Cuudoos to Day for his position on this matter.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

JTF wrote:His attitude comes from his Liberal background eh. Wink

He knows damn well that when he's transferred back to Canada he'll walk. Our laws are so lenient that it's joke.

Let the penishead stay in the jail he deserves.

Cuudoos to Day for his position on this matter.

Exactly. He did the crime down there, serve the sentence down there! Its not like he was framed or was denied a defense or a fair trial.

Suck it up buttercup, you had everything going for you and you threw it all away. Now deal with the consequences.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

7 year in 2004
means he wonr get out until 2011 in USA
but in Canada already serve 1/2 his time its an almost automatic release when he gets back
Letsee... wait three more years in an american jail or be a whinie little bitch and try to blame others for punishing you for your criminal behaviour and hope the press jerks off in your general direction and gets you free...

decisions, decisions

Anonymous

Any bets the Liberals get on his bandwagon?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

thats a sucker bet.,

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

Deank wrote:thats a sucker bet.,

There is a sucker born every minute, Just ask S. Dion and J. Layton, they rely on them to get elected.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Anonymous

What about the coloured party? Do the Greens actually know what they are all about? EliMay endorses Dion but wants to get elected....that is just plain stupid.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Most people who support the Green party do not have a clue what the Green party stands for.

Anonymous

Heh...you made the sentence six words too long.
...should read....

"Most people who support the Green party do not have a clue." Smile

Anonymous

Sorta like the tape that was altered

Anonymous

How you can't see through the act of Harper is beyond me he is a control freak , a paranoid leader and very unsure of the supporting crew around him . Hence he muzzles his staff and won't pay for his own hairstylist . Nor tell me what it is costing even though I pay the bill.
This man wants to do away with the CWB and tells management of it to shut up with threat of law only to be told he cannot do that .
Then tries to bribe a dying man and sues the liberals cause the truth comes out . God he worries about speaking gaffes this sad sack is real piece of work .
Course for an ex reformer what do you expect.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

How this has anything to do with Danton is beyond me... See, now you've made me act like them!

Anonymous

Well they started it and no hassle from you or I le get a mod to deal with you O yea you are the mod o well .

Anonymous

I'll take a contol freak over an idiot any day Jim.

Anonymous

I won't when he is an ex reform well closet reform member. Dion is and idiot but he is innocent .

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Let Danton rot in a US prison. What crap?
On the other subject, Dijon is an idiot and Layton is a huckster. As far as Harper being a control freak, he's done a good job of controlling a minority government for the past 2 years.

Anonymous

Exactly. I believe that many people are actually jealous that he's been able to do what he set out to do and with three other parties biting his ankles all day long.

egomaniac

egomaniac

[quote="LivingDead"]
JTF wrote:

Exactly. He did the crime down there, serve the sentence down there! Its not like he was framed or was denied a defense or a fair trial.
Is that because he owes the debt to the country/state/ he committed the crime? What if we had a better (more tough) jail... would you still agree that he should do his time in the city he did his time?

http://www.chrisgauthier.com

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

[quote="egomaniac"]
LivingDead wrote:
JTF wrote:

Is that because he owes the debt to the country/state/ he committed the crime? What if we had a better (more tough) jail... would you still agree that he should do his time in the city he did his time?

I think it would be different if he didn't KNOW he was committing a crime.

But if you're aware something is a crime, and you commit it anyway, no matter what country you live in...you should serve where you are sentenced.

I'm an American...but if I get a speeding ticket...I pay the fine here in Manitoba.
If I robbed a store here, I'd be arrested and do jail time here...because this is where I owe my debt...to THIS society, for breaking the law of THIS jurisdiction.

For the Canadian government to get involved in ANYONE'S trials or sentences in another country, is an insult to that country...as much as the one who committed the crime to begin with.

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

Whether our jails are better or worse does not enter into the equation imo....it's about bailing out people who should be doing their time where they did the crime...

This dude is doing this because he would walk in Canada if he gets his way I believe.

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

let the American taxpayers pay his room and board for the remainder of his sentence! If he did get sent back to Canada, why should we pay to keep him under lock and key?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

the whole point is that we would not be.

Sam

Sam

FlyingRat wrote:let the American taxpayers pay his room and board for the remainder of his sentence! If he did get sent back to Canada, why should we pay to keep him under lock and key?
The catch is that given the length of his sentence and the amount of time already served in a US jail, he would probably be set free on his return to Canada.(you know how stringent our laws are) Rolling Eyes

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ugg... who is paying for his lawyer? Canada, right?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum