the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Street cameras a growing trend in Canada

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Street cameras a growing trend in Canada Empty Street cameras a growing trend in Canada Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:18 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Winnipeg is getting its first street camera with more to come. I believe Winnipeggers have mixed thoughts on these devices. Can a camera stop crime? Reduce it? Will it simply move one block over?

Will we be better off with them or without them? Are our privacy rights being trampled? Or should we have any expectation to privacy in public.

Street cameras a growing trend in Canada Camera_Smilie

eastsider

eastsider
contributor plus
contributor plus

Where street cameras are concerned I say to hell with privacy rights, they are there for our own good. The camera being installed at Air Canada Park will in my opinion make a big difference in and around Portage Place. The camera at Henry and Main could have been put in a better location...what are you gonna catch on camera at Henry, someone taking a whiz against the wall?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ahhh, there is a good question... Where should the cameras be mounted?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I like the approach that Winnipeg is doing. Dont monitor the cameras, but use them as evidence if a crime was committed in the area. And perhaps having them mounted might stop some crimes from happening in the first place? Kind of skeptical about that one myself, but it will have the effect of helping to put criminals in jail.. and while in jail they are not nearly as likely to be committing crimes on the street.

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:Ahhh, there is a good question... Where should the cameras be mounted?
Good question.
If they mount one in AC Park, I'll have to find a new place to buy my drugs...or maybe I'll just not wear my beret as a disguise.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Privacy while out in public places is bullcrap! Cameras recording the perps on every street in Wpg, is a good idea to get criminals off the street after the fact.
There are no complaints regarding their effectiveness in sending criminals to jail for their crimes!
We see cameras taking pictures in convenience stores being robbed, we see a policeman accosting an order taker at a KFC, we see allsorts of illegal acts. In Great Britain their system is so good, that they can identify criminals and trouble makers, and follow them from pub to pub, preventing them from being allowed into other pubs, because they are drunk and a warning has been phoned ahead. Now that is surveillance.
JTF- I have asked Mayor Sam to stop surveillance for anyone over 50 years , and wearing a beret! he seems to think that the over 50 is agreat idea, but not too sure of the beret thing!

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

I'll dress in camo, so no one will see me.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

In britain their cameras are so good that several local councils are going broke trying to pay for the monitoring. Such that many now dont even monitor them or bother to review the tapes unless it was a severe crime...

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JTF wrote:I'll dress in camo, so no one will see me.
meh..camo sticks out like a sore thumb.. go naked you wont get arrested for drug purchases for sure.

Anonymous

Whatta' ya' mean camo sticks out like a sore thumb? I went to buy some but couldn't find any.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

i don't think monitoring is all too important, as I believe that a record at a crime scene is more important!
I cannot imagine the common sense in monitoring, because of the boring and costs involved in keeping an eye out for 99% of nothing!
The cameras are for a record, similar to an ABM cash machine that takes a single picture of evertyone who uses the machine.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I thought the ABM machines were 100% video now? and are always running all the time to also record everything else going on around the machine?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Most surveillance video records on motion. There is now way in heavon any DVR could record 24/7/365 without 18,098,625 GB drives...

Typically there is a protocol that says keep X days worth of recorded video then overwrite. Perhaps the ATMs record video but keeps a permanent single image of the person making the transaction. That makes sense.

Anonymous

eastsider wrote:Where street cameras are concerned I say to hell with privacy rights, they are there for our own good. The camera being installed at Air Canada Park will in my opinion make a big difference in and around Portage Place. The camera at Henry and Main could have been put in a better location...what are you gonna catch on camera at Henry, someone taking a whiz against the wall?

I agree 100% with eastsider. The camera at Portage Place is good news. Maybe they can add some more cameras around the downtown core. I think it would reduce crime, and make it more enticing for suburbanites to come downtown. If it were upto me, I would add cameras at the following locations:

• The MTS Centre overlooking Portage Place
  • The corner of Broadway and Osborne
  • The corner of St,Marys Ave and Portage
  • Main Street and Broadway
  • Central Park
  • The Bay (overlooking Vaughan and Graham)

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Central Park is slated to get three cameras. I drove by there yesterday. It is such a beautiful area. Gotta clean that area up. Perhaps the cameras will held drive away the scum and criminal element.

St. Mary's and Portage? Did you mean St. Mary and Portage? Near the U of W?

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:

St. Mary's and Portage? Did you mean St. Mary and Portage? Near the U of W?

yes.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Maybe they will place the cameras where there is a high crime rate?
Do you think anyone thought of that ?

Last edited by rosencrentz on Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : bug off)

Anonymous

Camara records 5 days and is overwriten unless stopped by the police , as they are the only ones who control them .

AdamX

AdamX
contributor
contributor

i would rather see more police or downtown watch or some type of law enforcement on the street doing patrols, whether by car or foot or bike or whatever. The presence of a camera will not deter a criminal who has made the decision to commit a crime, but the presence of a police officer nearby sure will. and most criminals wont bother to inform themselves of where these cameras are located anyways, so its not much of a deterrent.

As for using the video to catch the criminals, i dont think people realize that most criminals are caught by police already with the technology and methods they are using right now. Having some cameras around wont make much of a difference.

http://www.cakefarter.com

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

There are many instances of peeps caught on video used to both identify and prosecute them. I'm also aware of many situations where just the mere presence of a camera has stopped years of vandalism. Even if the bad guy does not change his ways if we can find and prosecute him then I'm for it.

I think BOTH police presence and cameras combined are required. Ultimately though prosecution with real penalties are required.

AdamX

AdamX
contributor
contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Ultimately though prosecution with real penalties are required.

amen to that

http://www.cakefarter.com

Anonymous

Yes more foot patrols are still needed same with bikes.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum