the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

YAY more of a mess on the West Perimeter

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1YAY more of a mess on the West Perimeter Empty YAY more of a mess on the West Perimeter Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:28 am

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

I don't understand how this is will benfit the west perimeter..

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/winnipeg/2009/01/28/8170816-sun.html

This seems to be more of a mess along a already congested stretch of highway! I mean you have inkster, then this thing, then saskewan, then the red river ex intersetion ( when applicable) then portage ave interchange. Thats gonna be a mess.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

ummm... isnnt Inkster already North and West of the Airport?
this really does not make a lot of sense, especially considering that twinning inkster from route 90 to perimeter is already in the provincial budget...

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

At least its a cloverleaf, not a traffic light intersection.

Anonymous

it is all part of the hub plan for the Airport thing speed trucks out of town , while not going thru town.

Anonymous

Some of the smaller roads should be redirected to the major intersections Pipeline to name one . Waverly join Pembina etc

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Bingo. The small feeder roads must stop before hitting the perimeter. At the very least limit or stop full intersections. Allow right turns only with proper on ramps.

Anonymous

Would be nice if they would finish the cloverleaf at 59 first as it is waiting 3 yrs now.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

FlyingRat wrote:At least its a cloverleaf, not a traffic light intersection.

Agreed!

Why can't we do the same for other intersections on the perimeter? Traffic lights...C'mon!

And yeah, I agree, it's a busy part of the perimeter, but that's probably never going to change. Now with the port idea, it will be even busier. More on/off ramps, as well as longer on/off ramps would be a good idea for the other intersections are as well.

Anonymous

Does anyone have a map of what this new road? I'm curious to see the details..

edit...
found it:

http://www.westac.com/conferences/fdf/presentations/Spacek_John.pdf

Along with other infrastructure projects, Canada Way can been seen on page 4 in this pdf file.

Anonymous

A lot is being pinned on this project , hope it works considering we can't even seem to keep an American airline . Flying out of here for passenger service.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Passengers and freight = night and day.

This is very exciting. If done right it could be a huge difference maker. I believe that Churchill and the Arctic Ocean will be the key cog. Get that port, the necessary railroad, and the expanded access open and we're in business.

If airline fuel begins to increase again the air freighters from Asia and east Europe will find the Winnipeg Airport a very welcome port into Canada.

If we bring in products and add value in Winnipeg... Huge!

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

GOM, you speak of Churchill and getting the port open. I agree, that's needed and would be a pretty big deal. The only issue is that other then air, the link between here and Churchill is pathetic at best.

Either a better rail system or some kind of "road" would help get shipments flowing back and forth a lot easier. Or expanding the airport in Churchill to accommodate larger aircraft...but then with the price of airline fuel going up....so yeah, better rail/road linking us should also be on the table for that aspect of the plan to work out effectively.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The rail line and port are, I believe, high on their list of priorities. If ships laden with stuff can dock at Churchill it will save certain companies from certain countries HUGE bucks. We need to open the bay longer (ice breaker and global warming will help with that) and significantly improve that rail line.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

An icebreaker would seem to be a no-brainer issue. But just because you and I may think of it that way, doesn't mean that those in power are on the same page...

After visiting, and talking to people who work up there all the time, a upgraded rail line to get cargo to and from will make that port flourish...IMHO.

Not only getting cargo to and fro, it would help with tourism. While Churchill isn't suffering for lack of tourists, a rail line for passengers would provide an alternative to flights in and out. But that's probably more pie in the sky anyway.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

hell the ice breakers are frozen in the middle of the st lawerance right now... its not like they can operate year round without issues.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I say the ice-breaker is a no brainer simply because one will be needed to keep the port open. The Russians think so highly about this port that they have discussed the notion of supplying one. Not sure about all the facts but that is the gist of it...

Anonymous

Is it even possible to keep the port of Churchill open year round?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Not sure. The last I read about it suggested that it is becoming easier to use that channel year round.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum