the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

homosexual couple refused treatment by doctor.

+6
grumpy old man
IG Guy
holly golightly
AGEsAces
Freeman
Deank
10 posters

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

not refused.. but she told the couple that they should possibly look for a doctor who has more experience caring for lesbians.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/lesbians_a_mystery_to_city_md_complaint_filed_heres_what_could_happen38441529.html
while I dont support thier filing a human rights complaint ( based on facts and why doctor said what she did )... This is totally wrong. mostly because... what the hell is it any DOCTOR's business who the patient is having sex with? Yeah yeah I realize its a common question in patient demographics...but not one that ANY reasonable doctor could even think about using as a reason to not treat someone

Perhaps just education for this doctor is what is in order... something, but definately not a human rights case.

Anonymous

As Bill Pope has said, there are doctors that have never given a woman a pelvic exam because of cultural differences. Should we make them do so? Of course not.

This doctor should have the option of choosing whom she treats imo.
It disturbs me that these two women have said that the doctors thinking had to change. How dare they say that!

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

again though.. she never refused them, she suggested they seek another doctor because she felt she would give them inferior treatment. messed up thinking is all...easier to correct through education then lawsuits..

and i would be willing to be that she has treated lesbians in the past and she is just not aware of it.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If the doctor merely suggested that they might want to find another doctor, whats the problem. I go to a teaching clinic, so I often see different doctors, but they are all supervised and I can ask to see my own doctor if I want. If I had a female doctor and she sensed I was not comfortable, what would be the harm in asking? I thougth you were supposed to be frank and open with your doctor and shouldn't that be a 2 way street?

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

There are women doctors who won't treat men, and vice-versa...and excuses I've heard include not being comfortable with someone who might think of them sexually.

It may be this doctor felt uncomfortable treating them for the same reason.

Or maybe felt uncomfortable with the patient or their attitude and tried to find a "diplomatic" way of telling them.

http://www.photage.ca

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

In the article it states in the first paragraph that the doctor made the recommendation "since homosexuality violates her religious beliefs." IMO this is just a valid reason as not wanting to treat these women due to lack of experience with lesbian issues. There are lots of listings of doctors who "specialize" in lesbian and gay medicine. All these women had to do was reach out and talk to their "community", no different than immigrants who come here ask their "community" for referrals.
The doctor should counter with a human rights violation of her own based on her religious beliefs being violated and slammed.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

"The doctor should counter with a human rights violation of her own based on her religious beliefs being violated and slammed."

interesting suggestion...has some definate merit.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

ahh...i guess i should read the article then Very Happy

I had only read what's in this thread.

I agree with you holly...these lesbians want people to respect their sexual preferences...they should respect someone's religious ones.

IG Guy

IG Guy
contributor plus
contributor plus

this goes back to the life long debate of where do you draw the line between religion and science. Doctors are in a field where they will run into this often I imagine.

Anonymous

holly golightly wrote:In the article it states in the first paragraph that the doctor made the recommendation "since homosexuality violates her religious beliefs." IMO this is just a valid reason as not wanting to treat these women due to lack of experience with lesbian issues. There are lots of listings of doctors who "specialize" in lesbian and gay medicine. All these women had to do was reach out and talk to their "community", no different than immigrants who come here ask their "community" for referrals.
The doctor should counter with a human rights violation of her own based on her religious beliefs being violated and slammed.

And since when did we give up the right to think and feel what we want , just cause the majority tell me it is right why and since when do I have to agree.
Sounds like there believes are better then mine , slippery slope indeed. well I think the doctor is wrong I respect her right to be as such . And see no reason to criticize her for it .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I too don't have a problem with that doctor's position. She treated the girls (therefore no one was denied medical attention). The clinic offered the girls the services of another doctor in that clinic (therefore no one will be denied medical attention).

Me thinks this is much ado about nothing. I hope to god the human rights tribunal kicks this out pronto.

Anonymous

...more Headline Whoring ?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Yup.

Anonymous

That's my impression too.

The clinic has stated that they have not refused to treat the girls but the girls are crying that they did dispite the facts in the matter.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Looking for that all important 15 minutes of fame...very sad.

Anonymous

Indeed.

I wonder how many doctors they went through before they got someone to 'bite'?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

and on it goes
MD did not refuse lesbians, clinic says
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/MD-did-not-refuse-lesbians-clinic-says38528377.html

the best line

"Andrea Markowski said she’s not surprised the clinic is standing behind its physician, but maintains Elias was clearly uncomfortable with same-sex relationships during their meeting. Markowski said she asked Elias if she had a problem treating the lesbian couple and that her answer was clear — Elias said yes, and explained homo­sexuality violates her religious beliefs."

So.. now we are not supposed to be uncomfortable with stuff and simply being uncomfortable makes us bad people?

Anonymous

Yes pretty soon you won't be able to think for your self.

Anonymous

On the radio, the girls said the doctor should be sanctioned until her thinking was changed. I heard it said myself on 'OB!!

How's that for an agenda eh?

Anonymous

Tolerance is non existent in there world .

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Pavolo wrote:Yes pretty soon you won't be able to think for your self.
heh heh I often waited to be told what my opinion ought to be by a in the other forum.

Anonymous

Yes but that was by one and 1 guess as to who.

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

I'm new, so I don't know who that "1" is...

Do tell...

;-)

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

you don't want to know Wink

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

actually it is "a"...

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]