the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Police investigate website posting of alleged beating of suspected car thie

+13
holly golightly
Electrician
Miz point
rosencrentz
LivingDead
AGEsAces
death128
EdWin
winnipegceilingcat
grumpyrom
Goth_chic
Triniman
grumpy old man
17 posters

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Is vigilantism a problem in Winnipeg? Or are car thefts a larger problem? I get a kick (sarcasm font) where Michalyshen immediately doubts that a police officer did not praise the group for its' actions.

If more peeps handled things this way would it be wrong? Should the Police be the only peeps allowed to defend life and limb and property?
WINNIPEG — Police in Winnipeg are trying to get to the bottom of a case where a group of people allegedly beat a suspected car thief, and then posted pictures of the injured man on the Internet.“We certainly don’t condone individuals taking things into their own hands if that’s what happened here,” Const. Jason Michalyshen said.

Investigators say they were called to the city’s St. Boniface neighbourhood on New Year’s Eve to investigate reports that a man may have been trying to scope out cars to damage or possibly steal.Michalyshen said that on arrival, officers found a 21-year-old man who was clearly hurt, and also drunk.

The man, who is aboriginal, was taken in for questioning and released into the custody of a family member after being cautioned, but not charged.Michalyshen said the man did not require a trip to hospital to treat his injuries.

The incident was described on the Internet message board WinnipegHeights.com in a thread that was titled “us 1 — dirty Indian thief 0.” One man wrote in an anonymous posting on the website that he noticed someone breaking into a friend’s car up the block. After running back to a house to call his friend, the man said he returned to find the would-be thief trying to break into his own running vehicle, with his wife and two-year-old child inside.

“Now your first thought when seeing the pics of the guy bleeding is that we gave him a beating he’ll never forget, but that would be illegal,” the man wrote.“He must have `fallen’ in the struggle and smashed his face into our boots,” the man added. The thread has since been removed from the website.

Despite a significant drop in the number of auto thefts in Manitoba in 2008, the province still retained the dubious distinction of being the “car theft capital of Canada” for the 11th year in a row, according to a Statistics Canada report released last month. Michalyshen said police won’t tolerate vigilantes, noting the investigation will also look into allegations made on the website that officers who arrived on the scene praised the group for allegedly assaulting the man.“I question it, but we have to investigate it,” Michalyshen said.

(Edmonton Sun, Winnipeg Free Press, Winnipeg Sun)

Anonymous

As long as the vigalanty pays the same price when he is wrong that law allows for and the perp sues him for all he has or ever will have , in the mean time justice better start to hand out tougher sentences .

Last edited by Pavolo on Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mistake)

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Pavolo wrote:As long as the vigalanty pays the same price when he is wrong that law allows for and the perp sues him for all he has or ever will have , in the mean time justice better start to hand out sentences .

Translation?

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I think this is sending a strong message....people are getting sick and tired of crime. They are getting sick and tired of nothing happening to these thieves.....sick and tired of our revolving door justice system! I am not condoning this but I can understand it.

grumpyrom

grumpyrom
major-contributor
major-contributor

The best part of the enitre story is that police released the suspect after questioning for LACK OF EVIDENCE! WTF? Seriously, 5 people witness this guying attempting to steal not one but TWO different vehicles. One vehicle had an occupant in it at the time. What more do the police need to charge someone in this town? This a complete joke, no wonder people are taking the law into their own hands.

I may not condone their actions, but at least this guy might think twice next time. My tip for the "vigilantes", next time don't boast on the internet with pictures. The police are pretty good at turning a blind eye in situations such as these from what I've been told. People do fall down all the time after all.

Last edited by grumpyrom on Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

Anonymous

Tough sentence no need for vigalants , and if you beat me up and are wrong you go to jail for the max understand now. sorry not simple enough for you .

Anonymous

How can anyone not condone 'street justice' when the real justice system is such a friggn' joke.

I am including the police in the joke...not laying charges for attempted theft is wrong...WTF were they thinking????
BTW, in the other 'beaten auto thief' story (guy suing his attacker) the guy wasn't charged with receiving stolen property either.

Seems like a pattern here where the police are on the wrong side of public opinion and common sense...again.

winnipegceilingcat

winnipegceilingcat

what can you expect? people are frustrated to no end.

the system for dealing with car thieves sucks. well in fact there doesn't really seem to be a system.
no one in government wants to look at the option of locking them up for extended periods of time..

on another note, just yesterday afternoon my dad and i where driving home after picking my mom up from HSC and we noticed a cavalier with one of those "Auto theft may cause serious injury or death" bumper stickers..

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

As much as I am not a big fan of vigilantism, I also am tired of seeing the police essentially do nothing on the matter of car theft and other crime. If I saw someone messing with my vehicle, I'd get old faithful out (my aluminum bat) and protect my property. Why should I stand back and let that scum get away with "murder"?

Anonymous

Most of the thieves are juveniles and our out on the street faster then the ink dries . Talk to your goverment to change the law it is not the police that are to blame .
You will not get that same lee way when they come to get you and charge you , think hard and long about your stance .
Also I share your anger but I put the blame where it lays the feet of the goverment and the hug me generation .

Anonymous

grumpy old man wrote:

One man wrote in an anonymous posting on the website that he noticed someone breaking into a friend’s car up the block. After running back to a house to call his friend, the man said he returned to find the would-be thief trying to break into his own running vehicle, with his wife and two-year-old child inside.

“Now your first thought when seeing the pics of the guy bleeding is that we gave him a beating he’ll never forget, but that would be illegal,” the man wrote.“He must have `fallen’ in the struggle and smashed his face into our boots,” the man added. The thread has since been removed from the website.

I can't speak for anyone here, but if someone tried to break into my car, while my daughter was inside, I would have certainly let the would-be theif "headbutt" my fists a few times. Cheers to the individual who took matters into his own hands, as the law would have done nothing to him.

PS. I disagree with the reference to the man being Aboriginal in the thread of the forum in question. Ethnic background is irrevalent. A thief is a thief, and he probably got what he deserved...

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I am now waiting for the race card to present itself. Rolling Eyes

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

HurtinAlbertan wrote:
grumpy old man wrote:

One man wrote in an anonymous posting on the website that he noticed someone breaking into a friend’s car up the block. After running back to a house to call his friend, the man said he returned to find the would-be thief trying to break into his own running vehicle, with his wife and two-year-old child inside.

I can't speak for anyone here, but if someone tried to break into my car, while my daughter was inside, I would have certainly let the would-be theif "headbutt" my fists a few times. Cheers to the individual who took matters into his own hands, as the law would have done nothing to him.

PS. I disagree with the reference to the man being Aboriginal in the thread of the forum in question. Ethnic background is irrevalent. A thief is a thief, and he probably got what he deserved...

I agree 110%!

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

Goth_chic wrote:I am now waiting for the race card to present itself. Rolling Eyes

I think the race card came when the guys posted 'us 1 - dirty indian thief 0'... I woulda kicked his ass too... but the dirty indian remark was just based on racism and shouldn't have been said... :p

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

death128 wrote:
Goth_chic wrote:I am now waiting for the race card to present itself. Rolling Eyes

I think the race card came when the guys posted 'us 1 - dirty indian thief 0'... I woulda kicked his ass too... but the dirty indian remark was just based on racism and shouldn't have been said... :p

So what would happen if that remark (which was uncalled for) wasn't placed there? would you still be fighting for this scumbag criminal? I'm betting the only reason you are getting involved is because the assailant was native, and nothing more. Playing on the race card is like beating a dead horse, and a very small issue in this larger story.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I don't see anyone fighting for the scumbag criminal. In fact death128 said: " I woulda kicked his ass too" suggesting he is of the same opinion as most. The dude deserved his whupping...

I believe what is being inferred is the race card will be presented when the scumbag sues his beators.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

death128 wrote:

One person said that...and yes that 1 person is an asshole. Like I said in an earlier post...I don't condone it but I understand it. In real life people say all sorts of things I don't necessarily consider it racism.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

i've told many other people...many times...i'm not afraid of someone breaking into my house or trying to steal my stuff and causing me harm...i'm afraid that i'll catch them...because i won't hesitate to put their head through the nearest wall

i'd rather not give them the option of coming back and trying again

That's what these guys should've done...put his head through a car window...if the guy wants in so bad...help him out/in.

http://www.photage.ca

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

That way they would also have evidence to charge him with xD

death128

death128
contributor
contributor

Goth_chic wrote:
death128 wrote:

One person said that...and yes that 1 person is an asshole. Like I said in an earlier post...I don't condone it but I understand it. In real life people say all sorts of things I don't necessarily consider it racism.

I also think ganging up on someone is also unacceptable.... and taking the pictures is unacceptable... and posting them on the internet is unacceptable... but the dirty indian remark affects me so I argued that point exclusively...

All in all there was more than one person involved with the items I felt were unacceptable... Ahh well.... everyone has their own morals I guess...

Must've been a bloody poor car thief if he indeed was trying to steal a car... The lady had time to get inside the house with her 2 year old child at 1:30am sobbing and then everyone was able to get dressed and go outside... and there was still no evidence of any theft taking place...

edit: but I guess I still think he WAS trying to steal a car and A beating was appropriate... just not by a mob

Last edited by death128 on Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : clarifying my personal views)

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

He was probably stinkin' drunk. Maybe too drunk to form intent (hah!). But I dare say he must of been acting very suspicious to attract attention.

Goth_chic

Goth_chic
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

death128 wrote:
Goth_chic wrote:
death128 wrote:

I also think ganging up on someone is also unacceptable.... and taking the pictures is unacceptable... and posting them on the internet is unacceptable... but the dirty indian remark affects me so I argued that point exclusively...

All in all there was more than one person involved with the items I felt were unacceptable... Ahh well.... everyone has their own morals I guess...

Must've been a bloody poor car thief if he indeed was trying to steal a car... The lady had time to get inside the house with her 2 year old child at 1:30am sobbing and then everyone was able to get dressed and go outside... and there was still no evidence of any theft taking place...

edit: but I guess I still think he WAS trying to steal a car and A beating was appropriate... just not by a mob

Unfortunately most people are getting pretty sick of the criminal getting away with "murder"...and even though I do not condone what these guys did I do understand it.

And death128, why do you have such a problem with a child being out on New Years Eve with his/her parents? I was out at that age many many times with my parents. My parents took my brother and I with them to parties, socials etc. It's not like we were say wandering the streets of the north end in diapers at 1:30 am, which I have seen on many an occasion.

If some drunken scumbag tried to steal my car while I was in it with my children I wouldn't of been crying I would've been defending my children and my property, by any way necessary. :twisted:

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

death128 wrote:That way they would also have evidence to charge him with xD

I would have just tossed him under the wheels and start driving. then call the cops to tell them i drove over someone who sleeping under my vehicle.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I bet you that the police released the man because the smart guys who thumped him did not stay around to get arrested for thumping the guy, hense no one to lay a complaint!
Pretty smart, if you ask me! The guy got worse than going through the justice system, that is for sure!
He may have been intoxicated, because no sane car thief would try and steal a car with a wife and child in it!
I know I would try and get my child out of the car, and then give the thief my car keys, so he would not damage the ignition!

http://www.elansofas.com

Anonymous

I would like to hear both sides even though no one will believe his . This is going to lead down a slippery slope till some one , the wrong one is killed and then people what.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum