the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Focus of Occupy Winnipeg as reported by Free Press

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Focus of Occupy Winnipeg

Issues that may come up at today's protest:

Aboriginal and northern communities' right to safe drinking water.

Urban child and family poverty.

Control of water and natural resources.

Government accountability.

Corporate lobbies shaping political agendas.

The multinational corporation Veolia's contract talks for Winnipeg water and waste services.

Federal dismantling of the Canadian Wheat Board and the erosion of the family farm.

Opposition to a trade agreement between Canada and the European Union.

So lame that if you rated this importance out of 1000 it would get a ZERO!

The only importance is the fact that Loise May was there! lol

http://www.elansofas.com

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

The focus is that there is no focus. Its like a potpourri of causes. Anyone with a soapbox can join in. Those of us with jobs will go to work tomorrow, earn our pay, pay our taxes so these idiots can camp out at the ledge.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Freeman you are 100% correct! This has to be the stupidest, non complaining group ever. I know the problem is that there is no specific group running it, with no specific cause.

What a waste of newspaper ink. This is such a non issue, that it is pathetic!

Give us a reason to get behind the complaints, please!

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Stupidest group ever? The focus you missed is government waste of our taxdollars as well as the fat that 1% controls 99%. They assembled on a Saturday morning so not sure about these "losers" without jobs bit (while the rest of us are working at our jobs). This general message needs to be hammered on and it is - here (smaller assembly) and in many cities around the world). Look for this initiative to grow over the next year. It will become a force. I frankly don't get the position of being critical of this group.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Sorry if I missed the focus, maybe you can direct me to somewhere, or someone so I can ask questions?

Like them, I have the right to be critical of whatever I want to be critical of. Isn't that the point?

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Freeman wrote:Sorry if I missed the focus, maybe you can direct me to somewhere, or someone so I can ask questions?

Like them, I have the right to be critical of whatever I want to be critical of. Isn't that the point?

Sure I can direct you to this sentence - "government waste of our taxdollars as well as the fact that 1% controls 99% of currency/assets."

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Is that an "official" position of the movement?

Am I to assume that you are are a spokesman for the movement?

If the focus is use of tax dollars, why are there groups occupying Wall Street and Bay Street, shouldn't government be the target?

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Just a thought I had, which some say are few and far between, but we had a civic election about a year ago, feds about 5 months ago, and we are fresh after a provincial election. Now granted that voter turnout is not spectacular, but wouldn't that be an ideal opportunity to voice displeasure over everything and anything? There were alternatives (DeanK and the Green party), but we, the 99% of us, elected, in most cases, the same old contenders. I don't recall seeing any "Occupiers" on any of the ballots which I cast, so where were these folks who claim to speak for me and the other 99%?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

well obviously the corporate greed fixed the election.

duh.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Good point however this crowd typically is that segment who withhold their vote.

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Yeah - the unionized corporate greed.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Jondo wrote:Good point however this crowd typically is that segment who withhold their vote.

and thats the frustrating thing right there.

"THEY" .. "DEMAND"... "CHANGE"... yet seemingly refuse to do anything about it and vote. It cant be disgruntled conservatives.. cause they are in power federally.. it cant be disgruntled NDPers.. cause they are in power provincially... it can even be disgruntled Liberals, because they used to be in power federally and are in power provincially in many places.

who does that leave? Non voters.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I see nothing constructive from this "occupation" movement. These people think they have the answers by camping out in a public place, carrying placards and garnering media attention.

Some friends and I have set out many times to solve the ills of the world, and in spite of copious amounts of beer, and negotiations which have led into the early hours of the next day on a myriad of subjects, we have been unsuccessful. So, I'm not sure how they figure they will make any progress.

Anonymous

I can see a very good reason to demonstrate in The States...but very little reason to do it here in Canada.

However, having said that, I do have a real problem with the fact that 1% control 99% of the money. That's fricked up.

Another thing I have a real problem with is the banks' bailouts. The free market does not work that way and never should.

Failure in the free market system is an option and when it is stopped artificially, the system is no longer a free market but an artificial market. Very dangerous concept that is yet to be confronted imo.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Is the 1% - 99% thing real or just a neat thing that someone dreamed up? What is the source?

Anonymous

I heard something to this effect from Warren Buffet, who, incidentally, is also saying the tax burden by the rich (top 1%) is ridiculous...he pays only 17%.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYPvZacp3bc&noredirect=1

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/separate-unequal-charts-show-growing-rich-poor-gap-20110223-141311-132.html

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I wonder if the people complaining about the 1% realize that they are probably a member of that club?

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Freeman - that meeting of yours to decide things sounds very interesting. Maybe you can lead it for the Sandbox, next summer when we meet at my house for a barbeque?

If you have a meeting before than, please make sure DeanK and I get an invite! lol

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

rosencrentz wrote:Freeman - that meeting of yours to decide things sounds very interesting. Maybe you can lead it for the Sandbox, next summer when we meet at my house for a barbeque?

If you have a meeting before than, please make sure DeanK and I get an invite! lol

Such meetings can only occur on weekends. One can not solve the worlds ills then be expected to show up for work the next morning.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Weekends are good for me. I have nothing to do from Monday to Sunday, and especially from Friday night to Sunday night! lol

*late night time is 8PM!

Hollywood

Hollywood
contributor
contributor

A few points:

- Almost all taxes are paid by the rich.

- Corporate bailouts happen, in part, to save union jobs.

- Government programs to "stimulate the economy" or "create jobs" tend to result in money going disproportionately to those with connections, i.e. big business and big unions.

- Reservations could raise funds by leveling taxes on their people.

- The Canadian Wheat Board is big business, and was a monopoly.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

So if 1% running things is a bad ting, are we to try and get the corporations to be run by the 99%, leaving the previous 1% to do the work? lol

So stupid, no wonder the media is after this one! The media workers, part of the 99% ?, want to see their lazy, do nothing bosses, out working the presses!

I think that this whole idea is obviously thought up by the 99%, who very rarely ever had to come up with a constructive idea to get their pay cheque. All they had to do was complete their very important part of the work cycle, their job, for which I really hope that they were amply rewarded!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum