the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hugh won't ditch rent controls...

+3
Deank
sputnik
Triniman
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Empty Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:56 am

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

He just said on CJOB that rent controls are needed to protect tenants.

Not what I expected.

On the other hand, he did say that they would eventually cancel the payroll tax. Cheers!!

2Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Empty Re: Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:58 am

sputnik

sputnik
contributor plus
contributor plus

With the way the Hugh is being so gutless... I suspect Sellinger will be at the helm for another 4 years and that voter turnout will be at an all time low.

Why bother voting? It is the same crap either way.

3Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Empty Re: Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:02 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I suspect at this point whats going to happen is that a good chunk of NDP and PC supporters will stay home and it will be the oddest turn out of an election ever. Many areas will go one way or the other on less then 100 votes.

4Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Empty Re: Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:23 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Hughie and the PCs are completely out of touch... Something is absurdly wrong with this picture.

5Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Empty Re: Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:25 am

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

It COULD have been a clever ploy, using the soft touch to getting soft NDP voters to go PC or at the least Lib in enough numbers... But the ploy aint working, its only driving soft PC votes to stay at home.

6Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Empty Re: Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:02 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF and I are extremely happy with rent controls as we are able to charge incredibly ridiculous rates for the homes that we are renting out.

I recently witnessed a $700 very small 1 bedroom home go for $1150- Wow!!!

http://www.elansofas.com

7Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Empty Re: Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:02 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

JTF and I are extremely happy with rent controls as we are able to charge incredibly ridiculous rates for the homes that we are renting out.

I recently witnessed a $700 very small 1 bedroom home go for $1150- Wow!!!

8Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Empty Re: Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:26 pm

Anonymous

Heh...leave me outa this.

Mind you, if Hughie had said he would dump rent controls, you gotta know the Nippers would say he was also going to sell Hydro....and alarm a lot of people needlessly....never mind allow the Nippers another opportunity to lie.

9Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Empty Re: Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:32 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

meh... rent controls schment controls. They dont really exist so why pretend they do?

A place I was renting was $900 with a $200 discount for yearly lease.

And... when they applied for a rent increase doubleish the guidelines I protested and they said.. oh.. but your rent never went up ... its still actually less because of the discount. So even though my rent went from $700 to $750, it was all good because it was not really my rent.

AND... to piss me off even more.. the rent was going up because hydro and gas were going up in the complex... and even though I paid for my own in a townhouse the apartments in the complex did not so I was subsidizing their increase.... but apparently that was okay too...

10Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Empty Re: Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:17 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

I think that the bottom line in all of this is that Manitoban's have a very poor selection for leadership choices this election, and that is the real sad part in all of this.

11Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Empty Re: Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:08 am

darkwind

darkwind
contributor
contributor

Is the market tough for rental houses as well as for apartments? (I have a friend who is thinking about renting a house)

12Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Empty Re: Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:20 am

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Rent is way too low in Winnipeg, even for North End homes aimed at people who have a habit of destroying the home!

If you want to get a rental, you have to check them out and react immediately.

I think Kijiji is the quick way to get information?

13Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Empty Re: Hugh won't ditch rent controls... Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:55 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The rental market is very strong (from a landlord perspective: high demand, low availability). If you or a friend is in the market darkwind I'd recommend you move very very quickly on all new listings.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum