the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

where did this come from out of the blue?

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

You can be sure there is an agenda. Could that post about a specific cop being drunk one night have anything to do with it?

Would that mean the Taman cops with amnesia get a clean slate?

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Suely, someone looking at a persons performance will take into consideration the time. A note about being late 5 years ago is pretty irrelevant, but if the file is full of notes about being late, going back many years, its an issue.

Being late for work is one thing, obstructing a police investigation is another.

Time for the leadership to run the WPS, not the union.

Anonymous

This proves that cops are idiots!!

The audacity and gall of these bastards must be derided.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

There's nothing wrong with their request.

There's two key factors:
1) they haven't been disciplined AGAIN in the last 5 years...so if it's a chronic problem...then records more than 5 years old will still be available.

2) it's disciplinary action...NOT charges...so the Taman thing would not apply here...as those are not disciplinary procedures.

We have a similar policy here...only ours is 3 years.

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

Bullshit!!

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

did you read the article?

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

did you AA?

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Ok...let's all read it together:

Winnipeg police have asked city council to allow officers' disciplinary records to be expunged after five years.

On Wednesday, council’s executive policy committee will consider a proposal to amend the current bylaw on police service records.

Police have asked that an officer’s discipline record be expunged
after five years if they have not been disciplined for another offence
during that time. Officers can be disciplined for things such as
arriving late to work or not driving cruiser cars properly.

The proposed change means records would be removed and put in secure storage, and could not be used in any future discipline proceedings against an officer.

Winnipeg Police Association president Mike Sutherland said the current bylaw is more stringent than in other parts of the country, including Ontario and Alberta.

"I think there should be an opportunity for people to put mistakes in the past," he said.
So, based on this...the section in bold says "Disciplinary Action"...ie. they did something probably stupid, but not criminal.
And, it says "if they have not been disciplined for another offence
during that time.
"

So the chronic idiot is not going to get his mistakes wiped out.

Anonymous

So what. Who cares about the difference between criminal and "other".

Diluting the police with bad apples is where it's got us to this point....and that ain't good.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The police apologists can't/won't accept that a police officer must be held to a much higher standard, As far as I'm concerned that is part of the job description. If that means they have a tardiness record for their lifetime so be it.

Frankly when I call the police for an emergency I want them to show up immediately. If one cop cannot be dispatched because he sleeps in occasionally that is unacceptable.

Ditto "bad driving" habits. Some of these guys are cowboys to begin with. We need their record to show their history of bad habits.

If the police union/officers don't get that they should go find a job where such issues don't have life and death implications.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I think you guys are missing the one single line that's important.

The ""if they have not been disciplined for another offence during that time."

Which means if someone chronically sleeps in late, or drives like an idiot...then nothing gets removed or expunged.

What they are trying to say, is a guy as a rookie screws up and dings a police car...it goes on his record.
10 years later he's a Sargent, and oops...overslept one morning...his discipline action is strictly for that...with no reference to the dinged car from 10 years prior.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

so whats the problem that its on his record? This is about money isn't it? They have some bizarre formula for calculating pay raises and promotion that takes into account number of infractions dont they?

FYI... I dont think anyone cares about the simple stuff....problem is, its the simple stuff that is being used in an argument so people are getting mislead. Cops are "disciplined" for a lot more stuff then the simple stuff.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I think everyone knows that its not the "late notes" that are the issue. I wonder if all those arsholes who were less than up front during the whole Taman thing got notes in their jackets, seems that the 5 years would have passed on that by now.

Lying to cover for someone who just killed someone else is a little different than sleeping in one morning.

darkwind

darkwind
contributor
contributor

I can see if the records aren't expunged, there would be a door left open for some jerk of a manager to actually use somebody's old performance issues as leverage to get rid of them etc. I bet the police force has it's less-than-ideal managers just as many organizations do.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

and so the union steps in and does its job to protect its members when an injustice occours. That is what they are there for, are they not?

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum