the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Should the Winnipeg Blue Bombers be renamed the Manitoba Blue Bombers?

+5
rosencrentz
Electrician
Northlands
Deank
grumpy old man
9 posters

Should the Winnipeg Blue Bombers be renamed the Manitoba Blue Bombers?

Should the Winnipeg Blue Bombers be renamed the Manitoba Blue Bombers? Vote_lcap10%Should the Winnipeg Blue Bombers be renamed the Manitoba Blue Bombers? Vote_rcap 10% [ 1 ]
Should the Winnipeg Blue Bombers be renamed the Manitoba Blue Bombers? Vote_lcap90%Should the Winnipeg Blue Bombers be renamed the Manitoba Blue Bombers? Vote_rcap 90% [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 10

Poll closed

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Thinking outside the perimeter

If the Green Riders can build a rabid provincial fan base, so can the Blue Bombers

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports/football/bombers/thinking-outside-the-perimeter-102209849.html

Agree? Or no?

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

No to changing the name. This is the WINNIPEG Blue Bombers.
A brand is an incredible valuable asset. You don't change it if it is not broken.

Proper MARKETING to all of Manitoba will have the same effect IMHO. We've discussed the lame marketing this team undertakes on this forum. That article mentions it.

Get rid of the marketing deadwood currently in place. Put a first rate marketing team in place, with a proper budget, and watch the results. Add a winning team into the mix and the sky is the limit.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

no to name change.

YES to marketing an NHL team on the sask/man border?

2 hours from Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Brandon? Seems reasonable for enough people to want to make the trek?

Northlands

Northlands
contributor
contributor

Deank wrote:no to name change.

YES to marketing an NHL team on the sask/man border?

2 hours from Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Regina, Brandon? Seems reasonable for enough people to want to make the trek?

That would work during the playoffs ( late spring/summer ). But some of those snow storms we get could hamper the drive.. cyclops

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Yeah, right. Wasn't it Warroad Minnesota, that was the home to the Minnesota Fighting Saints? At least for a certain period of time, me thinks, but I may be wrong.
scratch

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Not broken? Are you guys nuts? 40 years ago when the population was 300,000 there were 26,000 coming out for the games.
Today at +700,000 we are jamming the stadium at 26,000 on a good day.

Can anyone do the math? No one is going to see the games. Is the seating so uncomfortable? or is it the way you cannot have a barbeque on the parking lot, or the fact that a person is being thrown out of the cheap seats randomly, when too drunk?

http://www.elansofas.com

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

27-23- very respectable loss!

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

2-7 and the severity of the arm injury to Buck Rogers Pierce is scary.

Regina population is ? 300,000 and there are 30,000 at the game, Wpg 700,000 and 25,000 is a good show! Regina is putting in a domed stadium and Winnipeg is giving the 1st 1,000 people in ear muffs!

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Bombers fall 27-23 to Roughriders

We'll get 'em in the Banjo Bowl.

Should the Winnipeg Blue Bombers be renamed the Manitoba Blue Bombers? Bombers10000041H3397364

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

just wow that spanking that calgary just layed on edmonton

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

If Winnipeg had a second city to support the team...then maybe a name change would be warranted.

http://www.photage.ca

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Coming from the north, I can tell you that the name "winnipeg" on it means nothing to us, we still "liked" our team. There was no rabid dog support like the rider nation gets mind you. But it was not about the name.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

I remember hearing a story though about the Sask team...that there was some kind of a toss-up as to being in Regina or Saskatoon...and that (at the time) both cities were about the same size...so they made a "Province" team instead.

I think it was one of the truck drivers I worked with my first year I was here...so don't know how accurate that was.
Considering the league is 80 years old...I guess it's possible.

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

One word: no.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

EdWin wrote:One word: no.

I guess I could always look things up Smile

The team was founded as the Regina Rugby Club on Tuesday, September 13, 1910, adopting the colours of old gold and purple. Regina played their first game against the Moose Jaw Tigers on October 1, 1910 at the Moose Jaw Baseball Grounds where they were defeated 16-6. For the 1911 season, the team changed their colours to blue and white and changed them again in 1912 to red and black. They changed their name to the Regina Roughriders in 1924, then unofficially to the Saskatchewan Roughriders in 1946. Officially, they changed their team name to the Saskatchewan Roughriders on April 1, 1950 while changing their team colours from red and black to green and white in 1948.[3] The formation of what became the CFL brought them into the same league as the similarly named, but differently spelled, Ottawa Rough Riders. The Ottawa team was named for the log rollers of the region's rivers while the Roughriders were named for an elite North-West Mounted Police corps of expert horsemen. The presence of two teams whose names were pronounced the same in one league came about only when two leagues merged, and the teams were reluctant to change (and allowed to keep) their established nicknames.

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

The difference between the bombers and riders. Winnipeg and the immediate surrounding area make up over 75% of Manitoba's population. Saskatchewans population is more spread out. Regina and Saskatoon are of similar populations and the rest of the population is spread out in many smaller communities.

If the other 25% of manitobas residents want to re-name the team Manitoba Bombers then let them build the bombers a nice new stadium in Portage, or Brandon, Or Morden/Winkler, Thompson, Dauphin etc...

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Meh. Let me know when a team I actually care for gets celebrated on the face of a loonie, toonie or whatever coin.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I would hope 20 years from now in 2030 for peggers and 39 in 2149 for the esks.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

That's cool. Let's celebrate our successes. Even if it is the Roughriders...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum