the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

cop who ordered the naked man tazered, commits suicide

+3
Freeman
grumpy old man
Deank
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26989171/

New York Police Department lieutenant apparently committed suicide Thursday, days after he ordered another officer to fire a stun gun at a naked, distraught man who then fell to his death, police said.

Lt. Michael W. Pigott was found at a former airfield in Brooklyn, dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound, Deputy Commissioner Paul Browne said.

"On behalf of all the members of the New York Police Department, I extend deepest condolence to the family and friends of Lt. Michael W. Pigott, who served with dedication after 21 years," Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said in a statement after the family of the officer was notified of his death.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I suspect he was a little unstable to begin with based upon the judgment he used at the tazering. Too bad though. These folks have a very difficult job to do. The stress this incident brought on was obviously too much to bear.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Accidently killing a scumbag criminal while trying to aprehend him is one thing, killing an innocent, handicapped person who did not really understand what was happening is quite another.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Most of us make a mistake at work and big deal. Someone doesn't get paid, their system is down for some extra time, etc.
This guy made a mistake and someone died. Tell me that they're just public employees.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

note the difference in the way it is in Canada and the states.

In canada Cop on the street makes the decision in New york.. the head guy made the call... and he was not there...

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Where was this Lt at the time of the tazering incident? I didn't see a reference whether or not he was attending the scene.

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

he was directing from head quarters I seem to recall from the first note about this.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

What you have to remember, tazering is a "non-lethal" form of control.

Whether he was there or not...the decision was probably made to tazer the guy, because it was easier than trying to wrestle with him, and less dangerous for the officer(s) on the scene.

The fact that after tazering him, the guy fell to his death really has nothing to do with tazering...it has to do with being close enough to a location where the guy could fall.

The officer probably killed himself because he was distraught over the circumstances...but had the guy survived the tazering itself...and not fallen to his death...the officer would probably be just fine.

http://www.photage.ca

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Sad conclusion all around. Two deaths in a situation where no one wanted to get hurt.

Anonymous

Yes very sad not up to date with the whole story but have heard enough , can't understand what this cop was thinking when he tazered the man

FlyingRat

FlyingRat

Pavolo wrote:Yes very sad not up to date with the whole story but have heard enough , can't understand what this cop was thinking when he tazered the man
He was thinking, okay LT, you say so.....

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

If an officer causes a death , by tasering, and then has to take his own life, perhaps there would be fewer deaths of people who die after being tasered!
It seems like an appropriate action to me!
I think that there have been over 30 deaths in Canada from being tasered, all of which the person certainly did not deserve to die!
Hasn't the Taser company been found responsible in only 1 of the 1000 deaths?

http://www.elansofas.com

LivingDead

LivingDead
general-contributor
general-contributor

AGEsAces wrote:What you have to remember, tazering is a "non-lethal" form of control.

Whether he was there or not...the decision was probably made to tazer the guy, because it was easier than trying to wrestle with him, and less dangerous for the officer(s) on the scene.

The fact that after tazering him, the guy fell to his death really has nothing to do with tazering...it has to do with being close enough to a location where the guy could fall.

The officer probably killed himself because he was distraught over the circumstances...but had the guy survived the tazering itself...and not fallen to his death...the officer would probably be just fine.

I dont know about you, but If I was a police officer and I had to taser someone, I would not take my own life because I felt bad. I wonder how many vet's of WW1 and WW2 came back after killing people and felt bad, they all didn't kill themselves.

IMHO, For the cop to kill himself shows that he should not have been a police officer in the first place. Every one in this world has made a bad decision, the planet would be better off if everyone who ever felt bad about a decision committed suicide. Devoid of Human life too I might add.

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

Anonymous

Yes maybe he should have not been a cop but shooting some one in fear and tasering someone for what seemed like no real reason is totally different no.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum