the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

A conspiracy behind every tree?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1A conspiracy behind every tree? Empty A conspiracy behind every tree? Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:18 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

OTTAWA – Call it a version of the Dosey Doe as political parties swapped partners Wednesday on Day 5 of an election campaign where defections topped billion-dollar announcements.

Conservative conspiracy theorists were first on the tiles with sightings of a coalition alien in southwestern Ontario after a sophomore NDP candidate hung up his lawn signs and defected to the Liberals.

Then the dance card heated up with another betrayal – this time a former Liberal candidate renounced his party and pledged his allegiance to the Tory who narrowly beat him last fall in a Toronto-area byelection.

The Tories said the resignation of Ryan Dolby in London, Ont., is solid proof Liberal Leader Michael Ignatieff is hatching a plot with the NDP and Bloc to overthrow Conservative Leader Stephen Harper should the prime minister win a minority May 2.

“The Liberals and the NDP are deviously scheming to help each other in ridings across the country,” Harper spokesman Dimitri Soudas said about Dolby’s sudden resignation in Elgin-Middlesex-London.

Dolby said he packed it in for the good of the country and because he wanted a good night’s sleep. Others privately said he waited to quit until the campaign had begun to embarrass NDP Leader Jack Layton.

“I think it’s the best decision on behalf of my family, my community, and my country,” he said, noting he tossed and turned the night before deciding Canada would be better off under a Liberal government.

In Vaughan, north of Toronto, Tony Genco broadsided Ignatieff, saying the party is adrift, out of touch and can never form a majority under his leadership.

“The Liberal party I joined over 20 years ago in university has disappeared. The ideas that I tried to represent of balance, diversity and nation building no longer exist in this version of the Liberal party.”

Genco acknowledged some will accuse him of sour grapes for supporting former Ontario top cop Julian Fantino — the Liberals didn't nominate him to run in the election despite his strong effort in the byelection. Genco said he feels the country needs a strong Conservative majority to prosper.

The NDP, meanwhile, said Dolby went rogue, and a replacement will be named later in the week.

The Liberals rejected Conservative charges Dolby was enticed to break ranks as part of a larger coalition blueprint that calls for similar defections on both sides to prevent vote splitting.

Mark.Dunn@sunmedia.ca

2A conspiracy behind every tree? Empty Re: A conspiracy behind every tree? Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:21 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The Chinese say "May you live in interesting times". I'd say this election qualifies soundly on that front.

So ndp'ers are flipping over to run as liberals and former liberals are endorsing Conservatives. Is this just the beginning?

If Canadians see the ndp sidling up to the liberals as this election progresses will they penalize them? Is there an effort underway to create an ndp-liberal coalition even before the election is held?

3A conspiracy behind every tree? Empty Re: A conspiracy behind every tree? Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:03 am

Anonymous

Well they have obviously taken up a combined startedgy to criticize the Conservatives in this election....so forming a coalition is entirely probable.

Anyone notice that the three opposition parties have not criticized each other at all? It's all aimed at the government.

4A conspiracy behind every tree? Empty Re: A conspiracy behind every tree? Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:08 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I'd be very surprised if the three stooges did not sit down and plot that very strategy. Their aim is to minimize PC seats knowing that it is likely that Harper et al will win another minority government and a very real possibility of a majority.

Divide and conquer.

5A conspiracy behind every tree? Empty Re: A conspiracy behind every tree? Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:11 am

Anonymous

Though it looks like both are fighting for the lefty position and have ceeded the middle to Harper.

I love the two professors fighting with each other....but they don't slug...they just b1tch-slap.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum