the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Begging for money at intersections.

+4
AGEsAces
grumpy old man
tick
Deank
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Begging for money at intersections. Empty Begging for money at intersections. Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:35 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

so... question

Why is it that people get upset about "citizens" begging for money at intersections and demand laws to stop it, but the moment its for a good cause, the safety aspects go out the window and its all good?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2011/02/22/mb-rooftop-firefighters-muscular-dystrophy-manitoba.html?sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4d652d26842fe94c,0

2Begging for money at intersections. Empty Re: Begging for money at intersections. Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:39 pm

tick

tick
contributor plus
contributor plus

good money. hard work. biggest thug gets the corner.
i give them a handfull of magic beans.

3Begging for money at intersections. Empty Re: Begging for money at intersections. Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:45 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:so... question

Why is it that people get upset about "citizens" begging for money at intersections and demand laws to stop it, but the moment its for a good cause, the safety aspects go out the window and its all good?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/story/2011/02/22/mb-rooftop-firefighters-muscular-dystrophy-manitoba.html?sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4d652d26842fe94c,0
Big difference in approach me thinks. Some of the ne'er-do-wells are very intimidating and some are very persistent.

4Begging for money at intersections. Empty Re: Begging for money at intersections. Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:48 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I never drove passed there today but would assume at a minimum two or three guys working every light change...thats not intimidating?

5Begging for money at intersections. Empty Re: Begging for money at intersections. Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:58 pm

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

safety aspects aside...it's not the "begging" that's the problem, it's the perception of where that money is going.

I personally don't have a problem with collecting for a cause provided:
1) ALL people walking in the streets collecting monies have identification (ie. what cause they are collecting for)
2) ALL people walking in the streets are wearing reflective vests/shirts to help make them visible to traffic
3) Traffic flow is not deterred by collections...ie. a light turns yellow, and all people MUST stop collecting and return to a curb IMMEDIATELY.
4) A permit/permission from the city allowing them to be working that particular intersection.

http://www.photage.ca

6Begging for money at intersections. Empty Re: Begging for money at intersections. Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:18 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Deank wrote:I never drove passed there today but would assume at a minimum two or three guys working every light change...thats not intimidating?
nope

7Begging for money at intersections. Empty Re: Begging for money at intersections. Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:06 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

87% of Forum posters are mean-spirited!
That is so sad, as as far as I am concerned , those that are in need and are asking for help, should be helped!
The possible problem is that maybe begging for 2-4 hours a day pays better than working? I cannot imagine , but it seems that is the case, and the person on the corner looks at that as his job?

http://www.elansofas.com

8Begging for money at intersections. Empty Re: Begging for money at intersections. Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:07 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I saw a guy selling sofas on a corner once. Scared the bejesus outta me...

9Begging for money at intersections. Empty Re: Begging for money at intersections. Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:23 pm

holly golightly

holly golightly
major-contributor
major-contributor

I tend to agree with AA (again) on this one. Why should these guys who either just beg on the corner or at the light standard receive money tax free out of my pocket when I worked hard and have to pay taxes for what I earn. I know of one guy that I encounter on a very regular basis who washes windows for the money he receives. I usually will talk to him, say hello, etc but I don't contribute because I know that when he is finished what he is doing, he jumps into a fairly new (less than 3 years old) Cadillac Escalade, picks his wife up at the local VLT bar down the street and off they go to their home in River Heights (I know this because one day I was curious and followed them). I don't have a problem with them being there as long as they are being safe for themselves as well as to others around them, I just won't contribute. The ones I do have a problem with are the ones that ambush you at the street light and expect you to give even if you tell them to stop.

10Begging for money at intersections. Empty Re: Begging for money at intersections. Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:40 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

i thought someone was following me home! lol
What you should do is paint up a big sign and expose him for what he is!
That would work, but phone the media and that will get his picture in the paper.

11Begging for money at intersections. Empty Re: Begging for money at intersections. Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:50 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

would carrying a bagful of chocolate loonies and giving them one be a bad thing?

12Begging for money at intersections. Empty Re: Begging for money at intersections. Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:48 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

We need more resources for those that need some money to carry them through to their next unemployment cheque or their retirement cheques!

13Begging for money at intersections. Empty Re: Begging for money at intersections. Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:57 pm

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

Yes Rosie - it's called part-time work. There are more Help Wanted signs on downtown windows than there are bums standing in the road asking for your loonies.

Recently I was stopped first in line beside the guy who's been begging with a sign for 4 years at Bishop Grandidn and St Mary's Rd. I told him I've seen him for 4 years and why doesn't he have a job yet? He said he makes better money doing this - averaging $20/hr. I told him that likely everybody that passes thru here now recognizes him as somebody who has no intention of getting a job - as his sign suggests. He said - "apparently not - I stay here because I have a lot of regular customers". I said "customers - what are you providing?" He says - "a smile". How disgusting. I'm pretty sure there's a law against walking through traffic. Funny how that's niot enforced. I'm guessing it's because those offenders are not likely to respond to fines.

14Begging for money at intersections. Empty Re: Begging for money at intersections. Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:09 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

Yeah at the Kevin L thing on Tuesday the Ex head police guy from the south end was there talking about how they got rid of the squeegee kids for the most part based on a law that stopped people from selling stuff on the streets at intersections.

yet.. we see these people every day all over the city.

15Begging for money at intersections. Empty Re: Begging for money at intersections. Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:01 pm

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

Jondo wrote:Yes Rosie - it's called part-time work. There are more Help Wanted signs on downtown windows than there are bums standing in the road asking for your loonies.

Recently I was stopped first in line beside the guy who's been begging with a sign for 4 years at Bishop Grandidn and St Mary's Rd. I told him I've seen him for 4 years and why doesn't he have a job yet? He said he makes better money doing this - averaging $20/hr. I told him that likely everybody that passes thru here now recognizes him as somebody who has no intention of getting a job - as his sign suggests. He said - "apparently not - I stay here because I have a lot of regular customers". I said "customers - what are you providing?" He says - "a smile". How disgusting. I'm pretty sure there's a law against walking through traffic. Funny how that's niot enforced. I'm guessing it's because those offenders are not likely to respond to fines.
This guy makes me sick, he is there and he also "works" the Bishop Grandin off ramp that leads to Pembina (can't think of the street name, but it runs behind Earls) anyway he splits time between the two places. I have said the same thing to him, got the customer line as well.

As for the fireman, I have no problem with what they are doing and it's for a cause.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum