the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

’Toba spends $75K on money tips for women: Money-management program not ‘Worth It’: critic

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Money-management program not ‘Worth It’: critics

A Manitoba government agency is spending up to $75,000 to teach women how to handle their finances, though critics say the I’m Worth It program is sexist and not worth anything near its cost.

“Statistics show us that there are women who want this information,” Finance Minister Rosann Wowchuk said this week after announcing the program, which has been launched by the Manitoba Securities Commission — a special operating agency of the province.

“Hopefully, it will result in protecting women and helping them make sound investments, improving their quality of life and preparing them better for retirement years.”

The program’s free online materials include several videos — each a few minutes in length — about Manitoba women of varying backgrounds, and their financial dealings pertaining to investments, savings, spending and such issues. It also involves a resource guide, an iPhone mobile application for “money-tracking” and what’s described as “lesson plans.”

Among the reasons for the project, said Wowchuk, is a finding that 47% of Manitoba women hold any sort of investment, compared with 62% of men.

But at least one female entrepreneur slams the effort as “an incredible insult” to women. Ari Driver, owner of Perfume Paradise in Winnipeg, said the program is “just sad, on all kinds of levels.”

“They want to tell me that because I’m not a man, I need advice on how to handle my money,” Driver said.

Colin Craig, regional director for the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, doesn’t buy that the “sexist” spending by the securities commission removes the province from responsibility for its cost.

“Just because the finance minister can’t balance her books, it doesn’t mean she should assume other women can’t.

“The government shouldn’t create programs like this for one gender, and not for another.”

Business owner Chelsey Koswin, however, said the program’s goals are well-intentioned and likely to be helpful. “I don’t find it insulting,” said Koswin, of Winnipeg’s My 2 Divas clothing store. “The government wants to help. And it’s just a fact that women spend their money not as wisely as men.”

Securities commission spokeswoman Ainsley Cunningham said it’s likely that not all of the $75,000 will be spent. She added that I’m Worth It has been spurred in part by focus group testing that shows financial “information gaps” necessary to address for women.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2011/04/21/public-agency-spending-75000-to-help-women-manage-money

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Typical ndp. Pi$$ away money on money management seminars when they can't manage the money we provide. wowchuck needs to sign up herself. Perhaps she'll learn something. Probably not if this report is to be believed. Does this course teach wimmin that it is okay to grow your debt?

Whatever. Most women I've met have always proven to be prudent money managers. Well more so then men anywho.

Anonymous

Best line ever....well maybe not ever....but really good...and sums it up perfectly...

Just because the finance minister can’t balance her books, it doesn’t mean she should assume other women can’t.

This also shows just how great this government is at pissing away our money.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

You have to admire bureaucratic stupidity that assumes there are no information available on this subject, and one has to spend $75,000 to get some help.
I bet you there are at least 10 books that have been written on the subject of womeninvesting, lol, that could have been used and I know of at least 3 people on this forum that would have been able to convert any one of those books into an on line advisory system.
At least $75,000 is pretty cheap for a government program.

http://www.elansofas.com

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Actually, I think the program itself is great...aside the fact that it's "for women".

Maybe they should be focusing on a program to help PEOPLE learn, and stop focusing on "women, aboriginals, immigrants, etc.".

About the only demographics which I personally feel they should focus training, would be age...as youth & seniors have different learning curves and expectations...but even those should be applied cautiously.

http://www.photage.ca

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum