the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

city to grow in the southend again.

+5
Electrician
JT Estoban
Mantha
grumpy old man
Deank
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1city to grow in the southend again. Empty city to grow in the southend again. Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:55 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/Plan-moves-ahead-for-new-housing-in-St-Vital-113277614.html

this is just getting ridiculous already.

the infrastructure in that area cant handle another 648 homes.

where are the kids going to go to school again?
Will the not yet built firehall be able to handle this new growth or will it be to small to respond already?

the city will "net" 1.1 million per year? bullshit.

2city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:32 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Ummm, why is the city in a business venture to develop housing? Sell the land to Qualico at fair market values; give them specific mandate to fully and completely develop the land without the city spending dime one; then get out...

3city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Mantha

Mantha
contributor plus
contributor plus

I wish the city could make plans to rip the rail yards out under the Arlington Bridge and put a new development in there.

Anything against the perimeter is just strange to me. All it takes is for gas prices to rise, and half the people stretching themselves to buy these homes won't be able to afford to get to work!

http://yaciuk.blogspot.com

4city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:01 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

I dont understand how people could stand to be that close to such high volumes of traffic. The constant drone must be terrible.

5city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:16 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I expect they'll build sound berms or fences. Even still I would not want to be stuck up against the perimeter.

6city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:47 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

not that I would ever consider moving back with the house prices the way they are in that area...but this just seals the deal IMO.

So what are those folks who live in the last row now going to do with the play structure and other things they've built on the open field now set for development? lol, nice while it lasted!

I like the idea of a housing something or other built where the Arlington rail yards are...that would be a significant improvement over building more houses closer to the south perimeter

And don't forget, the south end sewage plant is right on the south side of the perimeter...it get's mighty smelly with a strong south wind! Wink

7city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:55 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

JT Estoban wrote:not that I would ever consider moving back with the house prices the way they are in that area...but this just seals the deal IMO.

So what are those folks who live in the last row now going to do with the play structure and other things they've built on the open field now set for development? lol, nice while it lasted!

I like the idea of a housing something or other built where the Arlington rail yards are...that would be a significant improvement over building more houses closer to the south perimeter

And don't forget, the south end sewage plant is right on the south side of the perimeter...it get's mighty smelly with a strong south wind! Wink
There's one just outside the perimeter to the north also.

http://www.new.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1416203996

8city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:00 am

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

So many new housing developments, so little time. Are there actually that many qualified buyers for all of these projects? It isn't like the price point is actually obtainable for most people either.

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

9city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:09 am

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

Those escaping the North End need shelter somewhere, don't they?

10city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:56 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Sourpuss wrote:So many new housing developments, so little time. Are there actually that many qualified buyers for all of these projects? It isn't like the price point is actually obtainable for most people either.
It's important to note that while the average price point may be $225k there are many, many very affordable houses and condos available.

I believe Winnipeg had a huge pent up demand for houses that may not yet be satiated. Add in the growth of the city and a very low rental vacancy rate and you've got great demand.

11city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:09 am

USApegger

USApegger
contributor
contributor

Deank wrote:I dont understand how people could stand to be that close to such high volumes of traffic. The constant drone must be terrible.
I lived in Ft. Richmond in the 80's and we were right up against the perimeter, after a couple days didn't even notice the noise from the traffic.

12city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:55 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

Electrician wrote:There's one just outside the perimeter to the north also.

I am aware of that...however this topic was on the south side, where there's a proposed development going on.

13city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:44 pm

Electrician

Electrician
general-contributor
general-contributor

They should build solid sturdy side-by-sides right along the dike. They just mght come in handy when the 1 in 10000 year flood comes along...

14city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:12 pm

JT Estoban

JT Estoban
major-contributor
major-contributor

LOL build them ontop of the floodway dike?

15city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:18 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

makes sense to me. Winter time they all get an awesome sliding hill, spring time.. awesome fishing.

Well worth it to "MAYBE" get flooded out. plus well jesus.. another 20 feet higher on the dike and we are protected from a freaking huge flood.

DO IT!.

Can you imagine the kind of money that could be made off of selling property along the floodway if they had built it to be able to be flooded year round?

16city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:47 pm

Sourpuss

Sourpuss
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:
Sourpuss wrote:So many new housing developments, so little time. Are there actually that many qualified buyers for all of these projects? It isn't like the price point is actually obtainable for most people either.
It's important to note that while the average price point may be $225k there are many, many very affordable houses and condos available.

I believe Winnipeg had a huge pent up demand for houses that may not yet be satiated. Add in the growth of the city and a very low rental vacancy rate and you've got great demand.

Affordable in the new developments? There is plenty of affordable housing citywide but the new developments don't seem to have the same price point. You can get two East Kildonan houses for one Sage Creek/Bridgewater Forest box. To afford a $375K house, one has to have a certain level of income and credit qualification, which generally isn't the case with people who are looking to fill the affordable housing rental gap. Also, as gas prices rise, and interest rates rise, who the hell wants to be that far from the city core if you have to work in/around it?

http://www.citizensourpuss.wordpress.com

17city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:51 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Well no. My point was simply that there are still veritable bargains to be had. That said, the reason there is still demand for the larger more expensive homes is that peeps are movin' on up. As their homes gain value, especially those that had no mortgage, they are moving upscale.

That opens their old homes up. And so goes the cycle.

18city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:16 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Well no. My point was simply that there are still veritable bargains to be had. That said, the reason there is still demand for the larger more expensive homes is that peeps are movin' on up. As their homes gain value, especially those that had no mortgage, they are moving upscale.

That opens their old homes up. And so goes the cycle.
I think this is a concept that many Winnipeggers are having a hard time either grasping or accepting. Many still seem to think that no one in the city can ever get ahead, and are not able to move up to a more comfortable lifestyle.
Economics are changing in the city, more job opportunities with higher wages, as they have in the rest of the cities in Western Canada. As a result, this means people are now able to afford larger homes, newer higher end cars, nicer clothing, etc. It was inevidable, and it a very good sign for the city.

19city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Sun Jan 16, 2011 9:36 pm

Triniman

Triniman
general-contributor
general-contributor

Perhaps you are right, Edwin.

Just imagine how much better off we would have been, though, if we didn't have a tax-and-spend, buying-crap-that-we-don't-need provincial government all these years.

I can't wait for election day.

20city to grow in the southend again. Empty Re: city to grow in the southend again. Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:21 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Triniman wrote:Perhaps you are right, Edwin.

Just imagine how much better off we would have been, though, if we didn't have a tax-and-spend, buying-crap-that-we-don't-need provincial government all these years.

I can't wait for election day.
Well, the provincial election is around the corner; you know what you need to do.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum