the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

Snow as a tourist attraction...

+2
grumpy old man
Jondo
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Snow as a tourist attraction... Empty Snow as a tourist attraction... Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:34 am

Anonymous

I got to thinking about all the frigg'n snow that just fell and where we will be able to store it for the rest of the winter.

If the city made a real effort to pick up the snow, from streets and alleys and piled it up in some location that could become the world's biggest toboggan run....and if we had enough snow...perhaps even year-long eh?

Thoughts?

2Snow as a tourist attraction... Empty Re: Snow as a tourist attraction... Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:12 am

Jondo

Jondo
major-contributor
major-contributor

That is a good idea. Once established - half the mass would even remain through the summer until next winter. The run-off melt could be diverted to a lake that would serve up the summer recreation (lot's to do n water). If there was a mile long toboggan run around we (our kids) would be there today. Just the right slope - not too fast or slow. Tow-ropes going up or the best exercise around - climbing back up. That alone would bring exercise enthusiasts. I'm in - let's do it. The City or Province would grant us the land in exchange for having a place to dump their loads. This would be bigger than the water-park that's been mused for years and never happens.

3Snow as a tourist attraction... Empty Re: Snow as a tourist attraction... Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:24 am

Anonymous

Dang JTF, I do believe you'd make a perfect Winnipeg Councillor.

Imagine it. We could build a high end Mall at the base and throw in a few condo's to pay for the grooming of the "hill".....Hell, maybe even sell advertising rights to the crawlers and groomers. Of course we'd contract that out for 30 years.

4Snow as a tourist attraction... Empty Re: Snow as a tourist attraction... Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:34 am

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Year-round fun park planned - Entrepreneurs already building winter slides

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/year-round-fun-park-planned-110930154.html

5Snow as a tourist attraction... Empty Re: Snow as a tourist attraction... Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:32 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Wont work- no government money! lol
Fun Mountain Waterslides was built without any government support- 3 people put up the money, I believe.
They got a lot of help for creating summer jobs from the provincial plan.
A friend of mine was hired to manage it, when it 1st opened up , many years ago.

http://www.elansofas.com

6Snow as a tourist attraction... Empty Re: Snow as a tourist attraction... Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:10 pm

Deank

Deank
contributor eminence
contributor eminence

JTF wrote:I got to thinking about all the frigg'n snow that just fell and where we will be able to store it for the rest of the winter.

If the city made a real effort to pick up the snow, from streets and alleys and piled it up in some location that could become the world's biggest toboggan run....and if we had enough snow...perhaps even year-long eh?

Thoughts?

except we salt and sand every where that the snow is collected from so year round would not work.

7Snow as a tourist attraction... Empty Re: Snow as a tourist attraction... Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:54 pm

EdWin

EdWin
major-contributor
major-contributor

Deank wrote:
JTF wrote:I got to thinking about all the frigg'n snow that just fell and where we will be able to store it for the rest of the winter.

Thoughts?

except we salt and sand every where that the snow is collected from so year round would not work.

That's right. The road salt collected within the cleared snow from street, sidewalks, parking lots, etc. contain high amounts of salt. Not only would that melt the snow under the right conditions, but all that salt in a concentrated area would cause some serious salinity issues to the ground that it is piled up on, as well as the groundwater underneath that it would leach into. Not the best idea unless you want to create more issues, IMO.

FYI, I was working out at a site south of Brandon, dealing with a soil and gw contamination clean up program, and I must say that Manitoba has the weakest remediation standards of all of Western Canada. Manitoba uses the CCME guidelines (Federal Standards), whereas Sask., Ab., and BC. all have their own provincial standards which are much more stringent. Considering that Manitoba loves to pride itself on being a "green" province, it sure doesn't boast well to have such feable expectations for remediation.

8Snow as a tourist attraction... Empty Re: Snow as a tourist attraction... Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:21 pm

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

I was just thinking how pretty the city looks with all the fresh white snow. It's only after they start sanding does the snow on the roads and snowbanks become dirty and the look dreary.

9Snow as a tourist attraction... Empty Re: Snow as a tourist attraction... Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:31 pm

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Any government that "prides itself" in thinking anything deserves to be tossed out! "Green" in Manitoba?
I never heard of anything from Manitoba being green and proud of it, unless it refers to the fact that 95% of our electricity is water powered as opposed to everyone else being coal.
If a government spent any money for "pride" and the news media found out, lookout!
For example, if our NDP govt decided to spend +1.6 BILLION dollars to run some electrical wires down the west side of a big lake the media would wonder what was going on. Save the boreal forrest- wow! certainly worthwhile to me.
Excuse me I have to google "boreal forrest", and then google "stupid NDP government" lol

http://www.elansofas.com

10Snow as a tourist attraction... Empty Re: Snow as a tourist attraction... Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:26 pm

Anonymous

If we decided to build the world's biggest/longest/year round tobogan run/hill we could decide to not use salt and sand but rather plow the streets quickly.

Then again, perhaps not all snow would go to the hill.

Details details details... Smile

11Snow as a tourist attraction... Empty Re: Snow as a tourist attraction... Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:17 pm

wpg_idiot

wpg_idiot
contributor
contributor

I think the toboggan run is option #2 for building that contains the museum of wasted money.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum