the winnipeg sandbox
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
the winnipeg sandbox

Latest topics

» Gord Steeves should run for Mayor
by FlyingRat Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:58 pm

» To discontinue?
by EdWin Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:26 pm

» Sandbox breakfast get-together, Saturday, January 25, 2014.
by rosencrentz Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:27 pm

» 2013-14 Bisons/CIS Thread
by Hollywood Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:56 pm

» Katz must resign
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:09 pm

» Best Breakfast/Brunch
by cobragt Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:07 pm

» Manitoba Action Party
by RogerStrong Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:24 pm

» Police Respond to a silent alarm With Guns Drawn
by EdWin Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:10 pm

» Details about Cineplex SuperTicket -- interesting promotion
by MattKel Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:08 pm

» Freep locks out non-subscriber commentary
by Deank Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:58 pm

» 7-year sentence for Berlusconi
by FlyingRat Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:32 pm

» New Stadium
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:34 pm

» Winnipeg News Android App
by grumpy old man Mon May 27, 2013 4:33 pm

» First Post
by grumpy old man Fri May 24, 2013 2:43 pm

» The New Sals at Pembina and Stafford
by grumpy old man Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

» Emma Watson wants to do nude scenes for 50 shades of grey movie
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:39 am

» Museum finally admits it needs to raise more money priovately.
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:32 am

» And You Thought Your Taxes Are High Now!!!
by FlyingRat Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:21 am

» free chocolate sample
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

» Do you want a gift certificate for A winnipeg restraunt?
by cobragt Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:12 pm

You are not connected. Please login or register

The hypocrites at the CBC, read all about it...

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

The hypocrites at the CBC, read all about it...
This week, CBC/Radio-Canada lawyers went to court in Montreal to plead that their Crown corporation not be subject to the Access to Information Act (AIA) like all other federal institutions.

The CBC has been bound by the AIA since 2007. However, it systematically applies a legal provision to reject requests for information arguing that these jeopardize its journalistic, creative or programming activities.

The Office of the Information Commissioner challenges this interpretation and wants to see the documents requested before judging if the loophole applies. The CBC refuses.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/comment/columnists/2010/09/15/15361936.html

Anonymous

Here's more good news...

These CBC dummies got conned... again!

http://www.winnipegsun.com/news/columnists/tom_brodbeck/2010/09/15/15366966.html

The next time the CBC gets a phone call from a repeat, violent refugee offender who’s been deported to Somalia and who claims he’s being held captive at an airport by armed extremists, they’ll probably think twice before running a story about it.

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

That's funny because my wife and I were watching that news story and we both remarked how fake that guys story sounded.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

Were ya watching it on the cbc? Hmmmmmm?

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Heard about it all day yesterday on the radio...and I was laughing cause it sounded bogus from the beginning.

Personally, I think any reporter who's worth anything, would've asked to talk to the terrorist directly, to hear their demands 1st hand in exchange for making public their plight.

Since there was no real terrorist...it wouldn't have made a difference...but had there been...I would then instruct the terrorist to shoot the idiot between the eyes.

http://www.photage.ca

Anonymous

For all we know, the CBC could have made the entire thing up.

Bartron

Bartron
major-contributor
major-contributor

grumpy old man wrote:Were ya watching it on the cbc? Hmmmmmm?

For the record, we don't normally watch CBC news!

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

OTTAWA -- Federal Information Commissioner Suzanne Legault has given CBC a grade of F for failing to meet its legal requirements for access to information requests.

In a special report to Parliament, Legault faults CBC for taking five times longer than the law allows to respond to requests for information. The state broadcaster took an average of 158 days to reply to requests. The law requires all government departments respond within 30 days.

The federal Access to Information Act allows any Canadian to request information from the government simply by filling out a form and paying $5.

While Legault points out CBC has failed to live up to its legal requirements, she says the broadcaster isn't the worst offender. That title belongs to Canada Post.

Legault issued a "Red Alert" on Canada Post.

The postal service was found to have refused to answer 73.5% of access requests compared to the second worst offender, CBC, which refused 57.7% of requests. Canada Post took an average of 190 days to respond to requests.

Both Canada Post and CBC are fighting Legault's office to try to keep the public from seeing documents and information that have been requested.

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

What a bunch of farging icewholes. I bet this is Harper's fault.

rosencrentz

rosencrentz
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

I know that Harper and all his staff are aghast at the tardiness in answering access to information requests!

http://www.elansofas.com

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Simple solution, just remove their funding, and then nobody really cares.

AGEsAces

AGEsAces

Hey...does Canada have a broadcast law that says the government can take over any channel, any time for emergency broadcasts? Say if there was an impending natural disaster, or incoming attack?

I know the US has that, though typically they only flex their authority on the broadcast channels for presidential speeches, alerts, etc.

And it's why PBS is (mostly) privately funded...by private sponsors etc.

I thought the CBC was setup as a government channel so that the government had a means of communicating with the people (I haven't studied the history, but that's the appearance based on information I have).
If that's what the CBC is for...then I personally don't have a big problem with it...other than they seem to be airing more "commercial" content than before.

I think the best way to solve the CBC issues though, is to convert them into a PBS type of channel. Where the public that WANTS them to be around will support them directly...and the government then throws in a small percentage of support every year for coverage of various local events, and news issues.

http://www.photage.ca

grumpy old man

grumpy old man
administrator
administrator

CBC was originally set up, I believe, to "reach" all Canadians. Mostly because much of the radio then TV listeners were in rural areas that were not well, if at all, served by commercial.

Today, with TV reached through cable, telephone and satellite I think every Canadian is easily reached.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Good point, it might be interesting to research and understand the history of the CBC.

But like everything bureaucratic, these things take on a life of their own, and like a cancer, continue to grow uabated, until someone cuts it out.

Freeman

Freeman
uber-contributor
uber-contributor

Didn't DBC first establish the microwave relay system from coast to coast.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum